Proposal: Buf/NYR

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
I don't see why the ranger trade Nash now that they aren't trying to sign big July 1 free agents or stamkos. Would love him on Bflo for 2 years, but can't see NYR doing it.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
NO, b'cause:

We'd get more sending Nash to Bruins for Chara, J. Hayes, and McAvoy.

If this is to be kept simple, the EKane deal is for M. Staal; I would add Tambellini, a 3rd who looks like he'll make it, and boom bust 3rd Robin Kovacs who is good so far but very preliminary --- these I add only b'c of the dif in years on term of Kane and Staal contracts --- and that's it.

problem child for problem contract

Both of us know the Bruins aren't doing that.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
[MOD]

And then Kane's contract is off the books next summer and the Rangers get the cap space.

If he behaves, then the Rangers can resign a talented player.

If Kane can't behave with Buffalo's nightlife, what trouble would he get into living in NYC?

Now if it's Kane and a prospect for Nash and maybe a 3rd, could work for both side BUT does any team want the headache? If you were a GM would you? Too much risk and Kane has only himself to blame.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Rumor on the streets is Ricky is in BLO eating chicken wings already...seriously.

To :sabres

Rick Nash ($7.8M until 18-19)

To :rangers

Tyler Ennis ($4.6M until 19-20)
Cody Franzon ($3.325 until 17-18)

Yes from Sabres but I doubt that is all Nash would cost.

Nash
Glass (1.45 for 1 season)

for

Ennis
Franson
rights to Vesey

*edit*
did Nash use Ranch or Bleu Cheese for his wings? Ranch lowers his value.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If Kane can't behave with Buffalo's nightlife, what trouble would he get into living in NYC?

Now if it's Kane and a prospect for Nash and maybe a 3rd, could work for both side BUT does any team want the headache? If you were a GM would you? Too much risk and Kane has only himself to blame.

I do it to cut salary. Going from 7.8 to 5.25 saves me over 2.5 million. If Kane works out you let him play out that contract. If not you trade the expiring contract to a cap floor team; 5.25 is a much more manageable number than 7.8.

If everything breaks right and you need to extend Kane, you can probably do it for less that Nash's cap hit too. The pick or a prospect coming from Buffalo is insurance if Kane does something off the ice.

Kanneda

Aug 10, 2014
Madrid
Kane for Staal as bern suggested makes fairly good sense (can't believe I'm saying this). What do you think Buffalo fans? Maybe we add a sweetener (we have really good goalie prospects, and a lot of them, for example) or retain up to 25% but that would be the base of the deal.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
I doubt the Sabres are trading for any players on the downside of their career and trading for Nash would only make sense if the Sabres were contending in the next couple of seasons.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Kane for Staal as bern suggested makes fairly good sense (can't believe I'm saying this). What do you think Buffalo fans? Maybe we add a sweetener (we have really good goalie prospects, and a lot of them, for example) or retain up to 25% but that would be the base of the deal.

No thanks. In a vacuum Kane > Staal. You factor in contracts and it definitely makes it a no go for the Sabres.

Bfreezy40

Dec 17, 2014
Buffalo
[MOD]

And then Kane's contract is off the books next summer and the Rangers get the cap space.

If he behaves, then the Rangers can resign a talented player.

Lets be real here if Kane can't behave in Buffalo imagine what he would be like in NYC lol..

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
If we are talking about negative value, lets properly assign it. A guy who has a behavior problem would be that negative value, not a perennial 30 goal scorer on a bad contract. The Rangers would be smart holding on to Nash until the deadline where a contender would pay through the teeth to acquire him. Retaining more salary at that point would make the return even greater. That will likely be what happens.....would I take Kane? Sure but with a couple of prospect ++'s.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If we are talking about negative value, lets properly assign it. A guy who has a behavior problem would be that negative value, not a perennial 30 goal scorer on a bad contract. The Rangers would be smart holding on to Nash until the deadline where a contender would pay through the teeth to acquire him. Retaining more salary at that point would make the return even greater. That will likely be what happens.....would I take Kane? Sure but with a couple of prospect ++'s.

I don't know that this godfather offer for Nash is coming.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
NO, b'cause:...
We'd get more sending Nash to Bruins for Chara, J. Hayes, and McAvoy.

If this is to be kept simple, the EKane deal is for M. Staal; I would add Tambellini, a 3rd who looks like he'll make it, and boom bust 3rd Robin Kovacs who is good so far but very preliminary --- these I add only b'c of the dif in years on term of Kane and Staal contracts --- and that's it.

problem child for problem contract

Both of us know the Bruins aren't doing that.
My friend, Savant, I disagree.

Surely they'd do Chara for Nash in a second.
The cost is what they pay for the privilege, and this is it.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
My friend, Savant, I disagree.

Surely they'd do Chara for Nash in a second.
The cost is what they pay for the privilege, and this is it.

Bern, they're not gonna trade McAvoy. Even though I'd love to be able to talk to Charlie Sr. about Charlie Jr. playing on Broadway, it's not happening.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Nash for Kane and be done with it.
Lets be real here if Kane can't behave in Buffalo imagine what he would be like in NYC lol..
He'd be like Keith Hernandez, Doc Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, Joe Namath, LT, or just about any other highly skilled athlete who like to party. Heck, playing for a winning team, maybe he becomes like Patty Kane or Tyler Seguin.

Last edited:

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
To Buffalo
Rick Nash
Marc Stall 1.75 mil retained
Tanner Glass

To NY Rangers
Matt Moulson
Evander Kane
Cody Franson 1.4 mil retained
Hudson Faschin
Minnesota 2017 2nd

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Bern, they're not gonna trade McAvoy. Even though I'd love to be able to talk to Charlie Sr. about Charlie Jr. playing on Broadway, it's not happening.

considering J Hayes is a markedly lesser piece, and that Nash is immediate and McAvoy is a full 2 years away from NHL, even if he has NHL body now, I'm not so sure about that.

That said, let me ask you to tweak my conclusion but follow the same premise.
Bruins pay for the privilege of converting Chara into Nash.

Scenario 1
My target would be McAvoy, I would be open to discussing NY add if you think needed.

Scenario 2
Also interested in scenario where McAvoy completely off the table no matter what. Then what do Bs throw in?

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
To Buffalo
Rick Nash
Marc Stall 1.75 mil retained
Tanner Glass

To NY Rangers
Matt Moulson
Evander Kane
Cody Franson 1.4 mil retained
Hudson Faschin
Minnesota 2017 2nd

This is insanely bad for buffalo.....they give up the top 3 pieces in this s deal.

Nash and Staal are being criminally underrated here.

Nash would easily put up 20 goals and most likely 30+ with the offensive talent Buffalo now has. Any team that can suck up the cap space for 2 years is smart to take a chance on him.

Staal would instantly be a top 4 dman in Buffalo and his contract would look very nice if Staal even somewhat returns to his shutdown form and a change of scenery with some goals in front of him could do that. He never was and never will be a huge point guy. Hes a defensive defenseman which are very underrated here by the HF armchair gm's who dont watch games and just look at stats.

If Murray could ship out Moulson's contract, Kane's BS, and Franson along with the bench he will be sitting on and possibly get quality players back, he better pull the trigger without hesitation. If all the Sabres have to give up are a decent prospect and one of the many picks they have, its a huge win.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Nash and Staal are being criminally underrated here.

Nash would easily put up 20 goals and most likely 30+ with the offensive talent Buffalo now has.

Staal would instantly be a top 4 dman in Buffalo and his contract would look very nice if Staal even somewhat returns to his shutdown form and a change of scenery with some goals in front of him could do that. He never was and never will be a huge point guy. Hes a defensive defenseman which are very underrated here by the HF armchair gm's who dont watch games and just look at stats.

If Murray could ship out Moulson's contract, Kane's BS, and Franson along with the bench he will be sitting on and possibly get quality players back, he better pull the trigger without hesitation. If all the Sabres have to give up are a decent prospect and one of the many picks they have, its a huge win.

Nash is the type of player who could plummet. Given his past season he could easily be a player who struggles just to get to 10 goals. St $8M that is big trouble.

Rangers fans keep thinking he will get real assets based on his past production.

Stall may be fine next season...but given his term he has negative value. Its not t Stats. I am one who feel once a player hits 28 he doula be limited to 3/4 yr max contract length

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad