Proposal: Buf/NYR

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
6 games behind or 6 points behind Detroit. The game is hockey not baseball.

DET 41-30-11
BUF 35-36-11

BUF turns 6 loses into 2 pt wins they tie Detroit. That isn't that hard to comprehend.

Nash is one of the power risk players out there. He's been pretty healthy through his career, and he's so good all-around, even when he doesn't score, he's useful.

Gaborik was a very high risk guy because of career-long injuries and the fact that he was useless any game he didn't score. He was going through a worse year than Nash.

Yet, because of a history of scoring 30-40 goals, Gaborik brought back a young second liner, a young fourth liner and a young third pair defenseman.

Nash will bring back more.

So you are saying because a players has always scored 30-40 goals he will continue to score 30 goals throughout his career?

BTW prorating last year to 80g--Nash scores just 20.

The guy got injured and missed 6 weeks. Does anyone really think he will only score 10 goals? Not taking his injury into account and dismissing him as washed up is simply absurd and unintelligible.

He had a concussion and missed significant time 3 seasons ago and came back to score 42 goals. Since that is factual, it might be prudent to give him the benefit of the doubt to expect that he will have a pretty decent season.

I think the likelihood of him scoring 35 goals is the same as him scoring 10 goals.

We have seen players drop in production like Vanek and Staal who are around the same age.

History shows players around this age range can fall off a cliff. If he was 25 would I say that--no. He isn't 25 so there is question of what kind of player he will be---one who scores 30-35 or one that scored 15-20 ??? Big difference in value.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Nash is one of the power risk players out there. He's been pretty healthy through his career, and he's so good all-around, even when he doesn't score, he's useful.

Gaborik was a very high risk guy because of career-long injuries and the fact that he was useless any game he didn't score. He was going through a worse year than Nash.

Yet, because of a history of scoring 30-40 goals, Gaborik brought back a young second liner, a young fourth liner and a young third pair defenseman.

Nash will bring back more.

To be fair, I wouldn't call Brassard a second liner at that point. He was very much a tweener.

DET 41-30-11
BUF 35-36-11

BUF turns 6 loses into 2 pt wins they tie Detroit. That isn't that hard to comprehend.

That's a hell of a lot of points in the NHL. You could easily say the same about the Rangers. Except, you change just 4 losses into wins (which is less than you're claiming) and we tie for 2nd place in the league with Dallas (above Pitt, St Louis, Chicago, etc.).

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
They had a whopping one win in regulation less than Detroit last year. And that was with a first half that was abysmal with rookies, new players, new coaches and systems. Second half they were much better. There's no reason to think they're the first half team when their key players are all young.

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
So you are saying because a players has always scored 30-40 goals he will continue to score 30 goals throughout his career?

BTW prorating last year to 80g--Nash scores just 20.

I think the likelihood of him scoring 35 goals is the same as him scoring 10 goals.

We have seen players drop in production like Vanek and Staal who are around the same age.

History shows players around this age range can fall off a cliff. If he was 25 would I say that--no. He isn't 25 so there is question of what kind of player he will be---one who scores 30-35 or one that scored 15-20 ??? Big difference in value.

No history doesn't show that, your hand picked examples show that.

Nash is 1 year removed from his best goalscoring season ever, is 7th in goals/60 since he joined the Rangers even when considering last years poor team play/injury causing a drop in production/ TOI.

I guess you're going to just ignore my comments again.

(Also even if we're calling the age factor, older players i.e Sekara, Gaborik have pulled in much greater hauls than what you suggest)

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland

Nash is 1 year removed from his best goalscoring season ever, is 7th in goals/60 since he joined the Rangers even when considering last years poor team play/injury causing a drop in production/ TOI.

(Also even if we're calling the age factor, older players i.e Sekara, Gaborik have pulled in much greater hauls than what you suggest)

Fact checking would show you that #1 Sekera is younger than Nash as he's an '86 vice a '84. #2 Both players quoted were traded at the TDL which historically bring in a larger amount in trade, and both were traded in their UFA years which meant there was very little salary to absorb so a contender would be willing to pay a premium.

Simple math for the cap blind/aka living in fantasy world: big salary means few teams can take that on without shipping out salary. Big salary for current team means either they need to retain salary or trade said big salary for huge discount. Buffalo isn't a dumping ground for big salaries with years on the books as they just signed Okoposo for 6mil per, and with the exception of one year he's produced pretty much the same as Nash albeit more apples than goals.

RangerGuru

May 14, 2013
Fact checking would show you that #1 Sekera is younger than Nash as he's an '86 vice a '84. #2 Both players quoted were traded at the TDL which historically bring in a larger amount in trade, and both were traded in their UFA years which meant there was very little salary to absorb so a contender would be willing to pay a premium.

Simple math for the cap blind/aka living in fantasy world: big salary means few teams can take that on without shipping out salary. Big salary for current team means either they need to retain salary or trade said big salary for huge discount. Buffalo isn't a dumping ground for big salaries with years on the books as they just signed Okoposo for 6mil per, and with the exception of one year he's produced pretty much the same as Nash albeit more apples than goals.

That's fine we keep him then

No reason to sell low on Nash unless a premium asset is coming back

If that isn't available we'll keep him and watch as he returns to 30+ goals with excellent defense quite easily

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

1 yr removed means crap. Player at his age and style of play fall off a cliff.

Nash is 32... Deadline he will be near 33.
Sekera was a late 28 at the deadline when he got traded.
Gaborik was a young 31 when he was traded from the Rangers. GsborikGaborik got his return on reputation and an idiot GM under pressure.
Pominville was 30 when buffalo traded him.

As I have sad.....

We're he 23-36 than sure he'd likely bounce back. But at 32 he can full off a cliff in production. History does show this with many players when they are in their 30s.

As I also said...the return for him would likely be more at the deadline of his UFA year where teams could afford him and aren't tied to him after the year.

Nash at 50% in his UFA year would cost the new team $1M around the deadline. They include in the deal a low roster salary of around $2M that lowers the responsibility to around $500,000 which many teams plan to keep for deadline deals.

If he puts up respectable numbers you have more bidders thus higher returns.

Trading him now who can afford him at $8M left? Buffalo can't. There may be about 1-2 teams at most factoring teams that intentionally have a lower internal cap. But those teams will still need either cap retention or throwing back high salary.

You might get some value at this deadline where you retain enough to make him free the rest of the season. Some teams who have other high salary coming off the end of this season could already have a slot for Nash and his cap hit. A team who doesn't have a high salary coming off or young players due big raises next year would be out.

For example buffalo could....McCormick and Gionta coming off gosling $5.75M and Nash with max retained could put him around that combined cap hit next year.

If he proves he can put up decent numbers than he gets a decent return. That is the big question mark.

You think he is worth a 1st line player. I think a 3rd line player.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
The Nash train departed when Sabres signed Okposo. Sabres don't even have the cap for it.

Good luck getting a quality return for him from someone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad