Confirmed with Link: [BUF/NYI] Sabres acquire D Boychuk for future considerations

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I don’t understand how this deal could be bad? We got a very solid prospect, who was always in the mix with Dach, Turkotte, Zegras and Cozens in the draft, but got injured and fell 8-10 positions lower. His high IQ is still there, he is still a great playmaker, good motor, character, hard work and leadership. We also got a local boy, with a good contract, a beast in the playoffs, a player we missed. First round. And this is for the injured Eichel, who has not played hockey for eight months, who has a serious injury and needs an experimental surgery. This cannot be a bad deal on paper, I don’t know how it will be in the future, but I am very pleased with this return.
I agree, but my post is about the Boychuk deal, hard as it may be to believe. Check it out. The main board has paid the deal quite a bit of attention.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I agree, but my post is about the Boychuk deal, hard as it may be to believe. Check it out. The main board has paid the deal quite a bit of attention.
Boychuk? But this is a situation when we needed a cap, and not just the Islanders got rid of the cap dump, especially since Boychuk seems to have to pay only 1.25 million real money. This is not the situation Patrick Marleau from Toronto to Canes.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Boychuk? But this is a situation when we needed a cap, and not just the Islanders got rid of the cap dump, especially since Boychuk seems to have to pay only 1.25 million real money. This is not the situation Patrick Marleau from Toronto to Canes.
I know. It defies logic that anyone thinks this is a bad deal for Buffalo.

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
Another aspect of this that people are forgetting, is that it allows us to move contracts out for picks without taking one back. As we get closer to the deadline, that'll be important when we try to move the Miller, Eakin, Butcher, Caggiula, Bjork et all types out for draft capital.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
I would have liked to see some type of deal with Bellows. He's worth taking a chance with

They have enough of those fringe types of guys IMO in Bjork, Hinostroza, and Caggiula now, with major upgrades from IR and Roch coming sooner than later.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Players can't be traded for literally nothing, so we have future considerations which are technically something even though in practice, they are nothing.

Which is funny, because the root of this rule is that in contract law a contract can't exist without "consideration," that being something actually given up by both sides. And what's funny about it to me is that "future considerations" as deployed in sports, would never fly as an actual enforceable contract in contract law. But I digress, I get its silly purpose in sports.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
So much for weaponizing our cap space, I was expecting a pick for taking on cap
Still plenty of cap to weaponize. Patience. When the contenders are screaming for relief to make their critical moves after things heat up, Kevyn can be Kyngmaker.

Reactions: brian_griffin

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Which is funny, because the root of this rule is that in contract law a contract can't exist without "consideration," that being something actually given up by both sides. And what's funny about it to me is that "future considerations" as deployed in sports, would never fly as an actual enforceable contract in contract law. But I digress, I get its silly purpose in sports.

To go law-nerdier than this. In tax law, trades are property for property exchanges. Under TCJA, 1031 like kind exchanges now only apply to real property. So the Sabres getting Boychuk with giving up nothing with end up being a taxable transaction for the Sabres.

Reactions: Dirty Dog and Husko

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Another aspect of this that people are forgetting, is that it allows us to move contracts out for picks without taking one back. As we get closer to the deadline, that'll be important when we try to move the Miller, Eakin, Butcher, Caggiula, Bjork et all types out for draft capital.
Someone should tell Kevyn we don't need to get too close to the deadline to move some of those guys. I'm fine with a couple heaves from half-court now, instead of waiting until the buzzer.

If I’m being honest, Boychuk has been our best dman the last couple of games.
You sir, win the internets for today!!

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
While I won't miss any of those guys, we just don't have enough bodies right now to move them out. If I'm GMKA, I'm making sure the other GM's know I'm always listening and if a deal for any of those guys becomes available I take it and grab a guy off waivers to take their spot. Keep the young players in Rochester to develop properly.

Someone should tell Kevyn we don't need to get too close to the deadline to move some of those guys. I'm fine with a couple heaves from half-court now, instead of waiting until the buzzer.

Reactions: Jacob582

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
While I won't miss any of those guys, we just don't have enough bodies right now to move them out. If I'm GMKA, I'm making sure the other GM's know I'm always listening and if a deal for any of those guys becomes available I take it and grab a guy off waivers to take their spot. Keep the young players in Rochester to develop properly.
I agree. My point was the closer to the deadline, the more teams will be offering, and the Sabres players will have less luster by dilution.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad