Confirmed with Link: [BUF/NYI] Sabres acquire D Boychuk for future considerations

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I don’t think some of you are getting this. This trade is not like those situations. It has nothing to do with leveraging cap space.

We NEEDED to do this to get breathing room with the lower limit for players resting in from injury. It also gives us space to make trades if we want to. So they made a mutual beneficial trade that helps us deal with our own cap problems while also helping the Isles with theirs.

This forum is exhausting with its need to find something to complain about.

Yes this isn't like those trades. They needed to add cap immediately and everyone knew it. If they weaponized the cap space this off season this trade wouldn't be necessary, they wouldn't be so close to the floor, and they would've gotten paid.

Reactions: KiwiGriff

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Future-proofing IMO. They were less than $1M over the $60.2M cap floor IIRC without Boychuk's $6M. They needed that extra comfort in the short-term for whenever the injury recalls come off the cap and then later at the deadline it allows for salary to be retained.

Not only were they less then $1m over the floor, that was with 24 healthy players. So in reality they would be less then $200k over the cap floor after demoting someone back down to 23.

Reactions: Woodhouse

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I think that it's exactly hits like that that had physicians who favor fusion over ADR worried. Their concern is that the artificial disc could be forced out and do damage to the spinal cord

Yep. One hit like that and he could be done for good.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I think that it's exactly hits like that that had physicians who favor fusion over ADR worried. Their concern is that the artificial disc could be forced out and do damage to the spinal cord
His slash knocked Vanek out of the playoffs

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It just feels weird to not get anything. We helped another team for free.
No we helped ourselves and the other team was helped as well. It was mutually beneficial. We were only roughly 1mil above the lower limit. We could potential fall below when players returned from injury. It would have been very tight. We also added enough cap space for trade options. Being that tight would hamstring us with trades.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
No we helped ourselves and the other teams was helped. It was mutually beneficial. We were only roughly 1mil above the lower limit. We could potential fall below when players returned from injury. It would also hamstring us with trades.

Can you imagine if we got to the TDL and Adams couldn’t sell off UfAs due to the floor…..

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Can you imagine if we got to the TDL and Adams couldn’t sell off UfAs due to the floor…..
The same people complaining about this trade would complain about that and not see the irony in doing so. I don’t understand why this is confusing.

Plus we’ve hired analytics all stars to the front office. Do posters seriously think they don’t know whats going on?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The same people complaining about this trade would complain about that and not see the irony in doing so. I don’t understand why this is confusing.

Plus we’ve hired analytics all stars in the front office. Do posters seriously think they don’t know whats going on?

Speaking of which, I was listening to Pat Moran and Joe Yerdon’s trade reaction pod and that popped into my head when Pat talked about using the Fla and Vegas picks to move up on draft day.

With the analytics crew, I doubt they go there. Just like they passed on trading up this past draft.

Reactions: joshjull

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
No we helped ourselves and the other team was helped as well. It was mutually beneficial. We were only roughly 1mil above the lower limit. We could potential fall below when players returned from injury. It would have been very tight. We also added enough cap space for trade options. Being that tight would hamstring us with trades.
I get it. It still can feel weird though

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Exactly, why couldn't Buffalo acquire a draft pick like a 2nd or 3rd? Arizona has been doing this for years to take on salary.
Because we also needed the cap flexibility this trade gave us. We were way to close to the lower limit after trading jack. We would struggle to stay above when our injured players returned and would have zero flexibility to make trades. Selling off pending UFAs would be impossible.

Last edited:

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I think it's reasonable to be annoyed that the Sabres didn't do more to take advantage of their available cap space during the off-season, especially since they were planning to trade Eichel and would need to make moves to reach the floor afterwards anyway, but the Sabres didn't do that because they didn't want to make those sort of moves. It's a philosophical difference, not really a question of competence.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Speaking of which, I was listening to Pat Moran and Joe Yerdon’s trade reaction pod and that popped into my head when Pat talked about using the Fla and Vegas picks to move up on draft day.

With the analytics crew, I doubt they go there. Just like they passed on trading up this past draft.

OT & not to nitpick - but they DID try to move up this past draft...

I think if a guy they have in an upper tier becomes attainable, they will try to make that move. Especially if we're talking about two particularly late R1s from Florida / Vegas...

Reactions: Jacob582

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
My calculation has the Sabres about $3.7M above the lower limit after Mittlestadt, Jokiharju and Tuch come off IR and reassignment of 3 league minimum contracts.

Reactions: joshjull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad