Confirmed with Link: [BUF/NYI] Michal Neuvirth for Chad Johnson, 2016 3rd (conditional)

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Honestly, I'd prefer all non-playoff teams to have the same number of balls in the pot.
Equal chance of drafting #1 and #14.

Losing should not be rewarded - yes, relegation isn't doable in NA pro leagues, but some kind of incentive has to be there for teams NOT to lose.

If you hold on to a bubble team, and you fail to make the playoffs (like the Sabres did for a good number of years), you shouldn't be punished by mid-picks by default while teams that intentionally try to be bad get rewarded with the best young player available.
A bubble team with a top pick may end up a contender next year, or in two years.

Yes, the shoe is on the other foot now, and yes, my team may end up with McDavid this summer, but the whole thing still tastes rather vile.

As for trades, I imagine you'd see less trades, but they'd all almost exclusively be hockey trades and trading players you know you won't be able to re-sign etc.
You'd see much less dumping players for picks etc.

The only real downside would be a risk of fans of a losing franchise starting to lose interest.
But then again, it's their own fault and they would have to become better through good drafting and good signing, instead of being gift-wrapped a potential franchise player.

Bottom line, the current system IS broken, the teams are just doing what is currently best in this broken system.

And sadly, it's not changing. Not in the NHL, not in any NA pro league.

The system is not broken.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Possibly lost in the controversy is that we got real solid value here. Traded a 3rd for Neuvirth, got a year out of him, traded him for a 3rd. Yes, we gave up 20 games of Halak in exchange for 20 games of Johnson, but essentially we rented Neuvirth for a year for free.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Best trade Murray made today. Fair value and not really a downgrade from Noidberg. Besides, Johnson loves us.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
Wouldn't be opposed to trying to re-sign Neuvirth in the off-season but really not worried about it at all. Finding a goalie that is 'good enough' has become ridiculously easy.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
Unless your the Oilers ???? :help:

They are literally one of if not the only team that hasn't been able to find goaltending. Except they had Dubnyk who is now dominating for Minnesota.

I think it's more of a problem with Edmonton in general..they are just a mess. Wouldn't be surprised if Lundqvist went over there and looked like crap.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Absolutely don't like taking on a crappy goalie with term left.

I'm actually fine with it. They'll need to address the starter spot but I'm fine with Johnson as a true backup next year and he won't legitimately block the young keepers in the organization in the (slim) chance that one of them fights his way into an NHL job.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Absolutely don't like taking on a crappy goalie with term left.

It's not ideal but if Murray manages to add two good NHL goalies next season he can easily buy out Johnson. It'd be a very small amount spread out over next season and the following. Totally inconsequential. If Murray is only able to add one good goalie, well, he has Johnson there as well.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
It's not ideal but if Murray manages to add two good NHL goalies next season he can easily buy out Johnson. It'd be a very small amount spread out over next season and the following. Totally inconsequential. If Murray is only able to add one good goalie, well, he has Johnson there as well.

If they were to buy out Johnson, it would have to be in June. So they'd have to make up their minds before free agency opens

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
If they were to buy out Johnson, it would have to be in June. So they'd have to make up their minds before free agency opens

Good point. It's an option either way. If looking at the UFA list and trade talks leaves Murray confident he can add two good goalies I assume he will take advantage of the buyout. He said Johnson is viewed by most GM's as a legitimate back-up so I doubt he's horrified at the prospect of Johnson as our back-up next season nor should we be.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
wonder if the 'Yotes fans are getting pissed off :laugh:

Actually, I for one am happy Buffalo picked up CJ. Looked great here when he was in AZ..Hope he does great things for the Sabres :)

Very positionally sound, tracks the puck well, not a head basket.. Only bad season was with Islanders.

Congratulations, good pickup. The third is a bonus for sure

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Actually, I for one am happy Buffalo picked up CJ. Looked great here when he was in AZ..Hope he does great things for the Sabres :)

Very positionally sound, tracks the puck well, not a head basket.. Only bad season was with Islanders.

Congratulations, good pickup. The third is a bonus for sure

shakingfist.gif

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
I said in my post that it wasn't meant to be an equivalent comparison. It's meant to figure out whether people have any limits to their "winning is everything" mentality. Once we establish the answer to that, we can drill down on what those limits are. Please read posts carefully before you jump into the personal attacks. I'm not an idiot.

Winning is everything.. The Sabres are doing EVERYTHING possible to WIN a Stanley cup, and that is to sell assets at the deadline that may walk away for nothing.. Your "honorable" way of winning doesn't win.. You gotta tear down and build up..

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I am not being snide or joking. He is actually a quality net minder

Ask the Isles if he is still a quality netminder lol. They hated him and his stats directly reflect that. He was getting heavily outplayed by Halak. He has a sub 900 save % this year in front of the Isles Def. Just wait until he faces 40+ shots a game. He is TOAST!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad