Proposal: BUF-MTL Risto/Danault

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I'd do that, mainly because of the 8th, but I wouldn't trade Petry. Instead I'd roll that bad boy next year:

Chiarot - Weber
Risto - Petry
Romanov - Fleury

That would be the most punishing d corps in the league, or near the top, and it would compensate for the smaller forwards.

We keep Domi, and put him on the third line. We try to find better wingers for him.

Reactions: Techcoockie

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
No I agree, he's got a ton of miles on that body already, coming up on his 1000th game soon (990 currently) and those are hard minutes taking/giving big hits while blocking a lot of shots.

Figured LTIR gets around the cap recapture penalty. Didn't check to see what his buyout looks like. Itd be 6 years long if you buy the last 3 years no? Id assume the cap hit is manageable?
I just can't see him playing for a million bucks in Quebec with there taxes. As soon as he retires Nashville is SCREWED. I believe if they reaquire him they can buy out his last 4 years .6 million total . So 4 million total over 8 years . That would be tolerable for Nashville. The alternative is not .The habs could than resign him for two years at 6 million per .

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Risto would be our futur #2 RD or #1 in the future going forward.

If ever Ristolainen became our #1 Defenseman it would mean we'd never even get to sniff at the playoffs.

How Julien chooses to deploy Danault is a whole other story. I don't doubt that he's going to play him in the top 6 again. Just Julien being Julien.

Actually I'd feel more comfortable having Suzuki/KK easing into the the 1C/2C positions. Wouldn't mind Danault sticking around for another season just to be safe.

He is perfect 2C and the Habs will wait him like a 2C for a long period of time and he will be fine.

Naahh... He isn't a 2C at all. He is however a perfect 3C. The fact that he ended up playing as 1C for the Habs was a root cause why we've sucked so much.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Actually I'd feel more comfortable having Suzuki/KK easing into the the 1C/2C positions. Wouldn't mind Danault sticking around for another season just to be safe.

I like that idea except that you'd have to have some assurance that Danault will extend before he becomes UFA in the summer of 2021.

If you play Danault on the third line, he's already indicated that's not a role he wants and that it would factor in his decision to extend with the Habs.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
If the reason you are acquiring a player is because they bring your average height, up it's a mistake.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
If ever Ristolainen became our #1 Defenseman it would mean we'd never even get to sniff at the playoffs.

Naahh... He isn't a 2C at all. He is however a perfect 3C. The fact that he ended up playing as 1C for the Habs was a root cause why we've sucked so much.

Why isn't he a 2nd line C?? Because he is elite defensively??

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
As a Sabres fan I'd do this, but we are overpaying slightly. I'd mainly feel good about this because I think the difference between 8 and 16 in this draft only matters if you love either of Holtz or Sanderson, which I don't. At 16 there may be guys (Lundell, Jarvis, Zary, Halloway, Mercer) that I’d consider at 8. What gives me pause are the various mocks I’ve seen with Rossi making it to 8. Good proposal. Painful but addresses Sabres top need.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If the reason you are acquiring a player is because they bring your average height, up it's a mistake.

Montreal's D isn't even that small or non-physical.

Mete's the only D under 6-1 and Montreal was top-5 in the NHL in hits.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would do that trade, but the 8th overall is the main interest, not ristolainen.

If that's the case, flip Domi for the the 8th OA. Sabres would have to come to terms with Domi on an extension first though.

Adding Ristolainen complicates the Habs roster and no, we are not going to add Ristolainen and trade Petry.

And Danault is not getting traded. Too many Habs fans shopping him at the moment

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As a Sabres fan I'd do this, but we are overpaying slightly. I'd mainly feel good about this because I think the difference between 8 and 16 in this draft only matters if you love either of Holtz or Sanderson, which I don't. At 16 there may be guys (Lundell, Jarvis, Zary, Halloway, Mercer) that I’d consider at 8. What gives me pause are the various mocks I’ve seen with Rossi making it to 8. Good proposal. Painful but addresses Sabres top need.

Waives of talent are 1-4, 5-12/13, and then 14-50 ish. So yes, there is a different probability of hitting between 8 and 16 but not a massive gap. Also, some think nobody from 5-13 range will bust or disappoint in this draft and they are fools to think that way. It's almost like fans are already giving those guys top 6 NHL proven value before they even turn pro. In 12 months time, things will change a lot! Draft +1 and +2 years are huge

Two problems with this trade idea. Habs are not going to trade Danault with the other two centers being 20 and 21 and we are not going to add Ristolainen to replace Petry.

Only deal I see happening is Domi for the 8th OA. If Domi does not want to extend with the Sabres, deal falls through. Also, I wonder the probability of that 8th OA becoming worse, the same, or better than Domi? :sarcasm:

Reactions: truthbluth

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
If that's the case, flip Domi for the the 8th OA. Sabres would have to come to terms with Domi on an extension first though.

Adding Ristolainen complicates the Habs roster and no, we are not going to add Ristolainen and trade Petry.

And Danault is not getting traded. Too many Habs fans shopping him at the moment

Domi isn't worth a top 10 pick.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Domi isn't worth a top 10 pick.

Yes he is. He's a proven top 6 talent heading into prime years. The 5-10 range picks can be worse, the same, or better than Domi. You likely think all top 10 picks never bust or disappoint. :laugh:. Kapanen just got the 15th pick. Domi is much better and can play center. Domi is worth more than the 8th Pick but I would let him go for that return.

Here is some context for you on the "Popular Herd of Sheep Bandwagon Party " you are attending... Ehlers playing with legit top 6 and PP talent his entire 5 years is at 0.7 pts/game and everyone loves him. Domi playing with 3rd line talent or worse his entire 5 years is 0.67 pts/game and he gets thrown under the bus. Bet you didn't think the gap was that small eh :sarcasm:. More context for you... Domi has the same pt/game as Laine over the last 2 seasons. Domi is not worth Laine but he is on the same waive as Ehlers. The point is fans are ignoring context with Domi.... especially considering how he was bounced all over our line-up this past year. 72 pts and 28 goals playing with Shaw and Drouin (50% of the season) where the others were Lehkonen, Byron, etc and people say his age 23 season was a fluke? :biglaugh:

You know what really affects Domi's trade value? Him wanting to extend with the team the Habs agree with on a deal (sign/trade). It's very possible he was already traded and the deal fell through... then Domi fired his agent for recommending him to sign it. Speculation yes but smells like the Patch sign/trade situation to me

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
some teams might bite it, but can you say a lot in the top 10 would score 70p as a center ?

Agreed.

You can say that in some situations but you can also say that top 10 pick busted, disappointed, or is the same as Domi (top 6 forward). With Domi, there is no guess work, he is a proven top 6 NHL talent that can play center and is heading into prime years.

Reactions: Techcoockie

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
some teams might bite it, but can you say a lot in the top 10 would score 70p as a center ?

Cirelli is a center worth spending a top 10 pick on (and Tampa fans seem to agree that a pick in the 8-10 range is pretty on the money). Cirelli has more RFA years ahead of him, is far superior defensively, about as good offensively, and younger/with more room for growth. The value just isn't there for Domi.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Cirelli is a center worth spending a top 10 pick on (and Tampa fans seem to agree that a pick in the 8-10 range is pretty on the money). Cirelli has more RFA years ahead of him, is far superior defensively, about as good offensively, and younger/with more room for growth. The value just isn't there for Domi.
yes,I love Cirelli too, thus why Tampa bay will run Point/Cirelli for 10 + years

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Agreed.

You can say that in some situations but you can also say that top 10 pick busted, disappointed, or is the same as Domi (top 6 forward). With Domi, there is no guess work, he is a proven top 6 NHL talent that can play center and is heading into prime years.

And you can also point to a bunch of top 10 picks who are much better, more well-rounded players than Domi. I'll also just say this: If Montreal actually had 2 centers worth top 10 picks, as fans seem to believe, Montreal wouldn't have been anywhere near the bottom 10 in league standings last season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And you can also point to a bunch of top 10 picks who are much better, more well-rounded players than Domi. I'll also just say this: If Montreal actually had 2 centers worth top 10 picks, as fans seem to believe, Montreal wouldn't have been anywhere near the bottom 10 in league standings last season.

Go look at the 5-10 range in the last 10 years and list guys over and under 55 pts and 18 goals. Don't be bias, list all the guys who busted or disappointed, guys who are close to Domi, and then guys who are like you say... Much better.

Do a 10 year report. I'm going by gut feel. Prove me wrong. Surprise me and provide a report that does not come with bias or a witch hunt? Lets say 07-16 drafts. 17-19 drafts are too early.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
yes,I love Cirelli too, thus why Tampa bay will run Point/Cirelli for 10 + years

The salary cap + all their preexisting NMC/NTC contracts might prevent that. If it doesn't, so what? I'm not overpaying for B talent if I can't get A talent.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I just can't see him playing for a million bucks in Quebec with there taxes. As soon as he retires Nashville is SCREWED. I believe if they reaquire him they can buy out his last 4 years .6 million total . So 4 million total over 8 years . That would be tolerable for Nashville. The alternative is not .The habs could than resign him for two years at 6 million per .

Nashville besides buy out also has &6M+ recapture thst increases each year till the final contract year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad