Proposal: BUF-MTL Risto/Danault

DC Comics

Dec 30, 2019
Risto would THRIVE in Montreal, Big body, amazing hit stats, great offensively, can protect the net well.
and he would literally make our 3 lines really great, AND make Petry expandable for a trade just before Seattle.

Also, MTl sheltered their 3rd D line a lot, Risto would make Weber/Petry take less minutes, thus playing more quality times.

Chiarot/Weber (6'5)
Romanov or Kulak/Petry (6'3)
Mete/Ristolainen (6'4)

our 3 lines would be balanced with big body/fast transition.

:habs
- Danault
- Fleury (good top 4 potential RD prospect)
- 16th

:sabres
- Ristolainen
- Middlestadt ( good projected top 6 forward, still have to grow in Laval IMO, but great potential and fit)
- 8th

would Buff add ? Could something around the 8th for 16th work ?
1. Not trading Danault. Too useful
2. Habs don't need RD. Risto doesn't fill a need
3. Petry can be extended after expansion draft. Muzzin established the benchmark for a guy of his age which Habs will agree

Bottom line. No

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Take out the buffalo #8 pick and add a second instead and I think this is a good offer. I rate Risto higher than Danault because of his size and being right side dman.Danault is a very good middle six centerman but I wouldn't want to pay him 2c money.
Not a chance. No #8 no deal.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Yeah... you're not getting #8 for Danault.

You can keep him.

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
Danault = 12 goals per year. I think Risto will outscore him next year. Not really interested.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
There is no chance the Habs trade Danault. He is still our 1/2C. Its absurd to think he would play a role other than 2C. Kotkaniemi took a huge step forward but no where reliable enough to unseat Danault. Danault will be re-signed along with Gallagher.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Sure but I'd wait on that. Danault wants to not only play on a top line but be paid like a top line player.

He'd be a great hold if he'd agree to be a 3C and be paid like one. Since that's not what he wants, we have a problem.

He’a not a 3C on the Habs. Kotkaniemi has not done enough to push into a 2C slot. Julien was instructed to overplay the kids in the playins to build their experience s and confidence. They stepped up. But The intent wasn’t to pigeon hole Danault into a 3C role. He will be back with Tatar and Gally next season.

what we need is a scoring winger for KK

Reactions: DC Comics

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Danault = 12 goals per year. I think Risto will outscore him next year. Not really interested.
It's almost like players can effect the game in more than 1 zone.

Over their careers- Risto's expected +/- is -61 Danault's is a +44

This past year Danault was XGF 47 and XGA 30
Risto was XGF 37 XGA 45

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
Risto would THRIVE in Montreal, Big body, amazing hit stats, great offensively, can protect the net well.
and he would literally make our 3 lines really great, AND make Petry expandable for a trade just before Seattle.

Also, MTl sheltered their 3rd D line a lot, Risto would make Weber/Petry take less minutes, thus playing more quality times.

Chiarot/Weber (6'5)
Romanov or Kulak/Petry (6'3)
Mete/Ristolainen (6'4)

our 3 lines would be balanced with big body/fast transition.

:habs
- Danault
- Fleury (good top 4 potential RD prospect)
- 16th

:sabres
- Ristolainen
- Middlestadt ( good projected top 6 forward, still have to grow in Laval IMO, but great potential and fit)
- 8th

would Buff add ? Could something around the 8th for 16th work ?
as a habs fan, f*** no

Reactions: Positive Vibes

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
IMO Petry will be dealt before Seattle, or sign and trade when we need to re-sign him.
He will ask too much while our RD grew. doubt Montreal would give 30s Petry 6-7M

I agree on less defense part, but we are changing our 3rd pair from Ouellet/Mete to Mete/Ristolainen. Ristolainen >>>>>>> Ouellet.

This trade is mostly to get bigger, we would still need a strong top 6 RW like a Domi for Rakell trade
I’ll somewhat surprise Petey is dealt before 36-37 he’s a core piece.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He’a not a 3C on the Habs. Kotkaniemi has not done enough to push into a 2C slot. Julien was instructed to overplay the kids in the playins to build their experience s and confidence. They stepped up. But The intent wasn’t to pigeon hole Danault into a 3C role. He will be back with Tatar and Gally next season.

what we need is a scoring winger for KK

How Julien chooses to deploy Danault is a whole other story. I don't doubt that he's going to play him in the top 6 again. Just Julien being Julien.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
How Julien chooses to deploy Danault is a whole other story. I don't doubt that he's going to play him in the top 6 again. Just Julien being Julien.

Julien/MB didn’t expect to be competitive in the playins. They has previously traded away good depth players in anticipation of missing the playoffs. So after unwittingly making the playins, they decided to play the kids and lose. Then Carey Price happened and the kids also stepped up and the Habs beat the Pens.

Julien will never break up the Danault Line in normal circumstances . He can play that line against any top line and come out ahead.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Weber will not be going on ltir I firmly believe the hockey world will be very surprised at what Nashville will give up for him just to buy him out . This whole world Is driven by money . Nashville’s owner will tell his gm to go get that contract back . And if he doesn’t he’ll get a new gm to go get that contract back . I do not see Weber playing for three million much less the last three years at a million a season.

No I agree, he's got a ton of miles on that body already, coming up on his 1000th game soon (990 currently) and those are hard minutes taking/giving big hits while blocking a lot of shots.

Figured LTIR gets around the cap recapture penalty. Didn't check to see what his buyout looks like. Itd be 6 years long if you buy the last 3 years no? Id assume the cap hit is manageable?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Would rather keep Petry and not have Ristolainen.

I believe OP is a habs fan which makes it funny that he doesn't get RHD is a last priority for Montreal unless it's a 3rd pairing one

Not sure why Montreal wants Mittlestadt unless it's because he had potential and hasn't really shown it. I mean, the habs would still have Domi, so there's no centre spot for Mitts to see what he can become as a centre.

16th to 8th would be nice.

Danault is a soon to be ufa and likely wouldn't re-sign in Buffalo unless they have a completely unexpected year and/or he gets overpaid. Not sure how that entices the Sabres.

Fleury wouldn't get taken in an ED at this point because he's not thar valuable.

Down grading from the 8th to the 16 with nothing really of substance doesn't make sense, unless the Sabres feel they can deal Danault at the deadline and get a 1st in return

DC Comics

Dec 30, 2019
Sure but I'd wait on that. Danault wants to not only play on a top line but be paid like a top line player.

He'd be a great hold if he'd agree to be a 3C and be paid like one. Since that's not what he wants, we have a problem.
He never said he wants to play on the top line. He just said he doesn't want his role to be reduced to only a defensive one. He is perfect 2C and the Habs will wait him like a 2C for a long period of time and he will be fine.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He never said he wants to play on the top line. He just said he doesn't want his role to be reduced to only a defensive one. He is perfect 2C and the Habs will wait him like a 2C for a long period of time and he will be fine.

I'll beg to differ on your take. He was clear about what he wanted. He wants to play with the team's best offensive players, hence he's telling you he thinks he's a top line player.

TRANSLATION: Asked if he'd accept a more defensive role with the emergence of Suzuki and KK, Phillip Danault was clear and honest:

"I don't know if I'm ready for that. I like to produce offensively."

The implication is that since Suzuki and KK had bumped him to the third line, he served a parting shot as a means of claiming back what he feels is where he belongs. So, in not so many words, he is saying that he wants to play on the top line. The reason is obvious -- he has a contract to negotiate and will be a UFA in the summer of 2021.

If he likes to produce offensively, 14 goals is not going to cut it.

He is not "perfect" as a 2C on the Habs as they have better options. Sure, there will be growing pains for Suzuki and KK but that should not be mistaken as a weakness by those players. Danault can occasionally fill when they hit a cold spell however, he is not a top 6 player on the Habs ever since Suzuki and KK have surpassed him on the C depth chart. That doesn't mean Danault can't be a 2C on some other team.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Danault is a soon to be ufa and likely wouldn't re-sign in Buffalo unless they have a completely unexpected year and/or he gets overpaid.

I think Danault gets overpaid by any team that is desperate for a 2C. Habs are not that team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad