Confirmed with Link: [BUF/MIN] Chris Stewart (BUF retains 50% of salary) for 2017 second rounder

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Not really. If he's not framing something he's saying as a report I would only put a little bit of stock in it.

Yup.

Same with Freidman and LeBrun.

It's pretty easy to tell the difference between their speculating and hard information

ZeroPT*

I thought Mackenzie was crazy when he said Myers was a part of the Kane deal :dunno:

I trust the man

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Hoffman was also eligable for waivers, and was one of the last guys to make the sens.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
You're right about salary retention. At best it's irrelevant, but if we weren't retaining salary in that deal it'd have made it even better, so it's a poor point for Zip. I have no doubt salary retention would've been part of that deal though.

He is the one who put salary retention into issue with his original post. He complained and then added "AND he retained salary." My point is that he didn't know if we would've retained salary in the Spooner + 2nd deal, so *****ing about salary retention is a bit disingenuous considering we probably would've retained in that deal, as well.

But even mentioning salary retention in the first place is entirely irrelevant to a team in 30th with oodles of cap space. It doesn't matter, and Freddie shouldn't have raised it in the first instance.

There's no question Boston's 2nd + Spooner is a better deal than what we got, but that doesn't mean I think he screwed up. If it were Subban + a 2nd I'd say he screwed up.

I think there's very much a question concerning whether that's a better deal. Spooner adds no value to this team. He's exclusively a center on a team that's not going to have any center positions available effective next season. He's small, unable to play the wing and poor defensively--the latter two considerations are why Boston was looking to dump him during the preseason. He's putting up worse AHL numbers than Larsson, about equivalent numbers to Schaller, and has the defensive chops of neither. And to make matters worse he'd become the third player (along with Larsson and Grigs) who'd lose his waivers exemption next year, so he'd have to be in Buffalo.

Let's recap: small, defensively unreliable, unable to play wing, stuck at a position at which there will be no roster spot for him next year, and would have to clear waivers next season.

Can there be any wonder why Murray wouldn't want this guy?

1. Irrelevant. No matter what Spooner has shown to be at least a "serviceable" player. You think he wouldn't be in our top 9 as of now? He easily would. It doesn't matter if we retained salary in the Boston deal or not, it was a better return end of story.

So Mr. Trade or Waive Anyone Who is Serviceable is now begging for a "serviceable" player in the lineup? Make up your mind, Freddie. You're arguing yourself in circles.

The bigger issue is that there's no spot in the top-9 for him NEXT season. Are you truly unable to realize this?

2.Again Irrelevant. It wouldn't be past 2017. Spooner+BOS 2nd>>>MIN 2017 2nd.

I don't get why you're so wrapped up in this 2nd rounder being in 2017. We'll be able to use it on a player to make a playoff push, or in a deal before then. The delayed gratification is too much for you, apparently.

3.Same Spooner. Again, irrelavant. He would be in our starting lineup game in and game out . Only 23. Younger then trash like Schaller and Dalpe and probably will have a much better career.

Who the **** cares about this season? So you want him to be an upgrade so that you can keep whining in post-games about how we're too close to our competition? Spooner has no roster spot after this season. Get that through your head.

And Schaller will have more of an NHL career than Spooner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad