Confirmed with Link: [BUF/MIN] Chris Stewart (BUF retains 50% of salary) for 2017 second rounder

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
1. Irrelevant. No matter what Spooner has shown to be at least a "serviceable" player. You think he wouldn't be in our top 9 as of now? He easily would. It doesn't matter if we retained salary in the Boston deal or not, it was a better return end of story.
2.Again Irrelevant. It wouldn't be past 2017. Spooner+BOS 2nd>>>MIN 2017 2nd.
3.Same Spooner. Again, irrelavant. He would be in our starting lineup game in and game out . Only 23. Younger then trash like Schaller and Dalpe and probably will have a much better career.
4.I really don't think it was Murray's choice to take one in 2017 more like Minnesota decided when it was considering they have dealt a ton of their 2nds lately. Trying to spin us getting a 2nd three drafts from now as a boon is funny.
5. Nah, there were better picks to be made. His draft was downright sad for how many picks we had. Cornel and Karabacek are long shots to be NHL players. Not what you want from your high 2nd rounders

Again, Murray ****ed up. No getting around it. Spooner is nothing special but to say he wouldn't be in Buffalo right now and especially not playing good minutes is patently false. Murray pulled a Regier and lost. Next time don't try to make the other team blink.

You're right about salary retention. At best it's irrelevant, but if we weren't retaining salary in that deal it'd have made it even better, so it's a poor point for Zip. I have no doubt salary retention would've been part of that deal though. There's no question Boston's 2nd + Spooner is a better deal than what we got, but that doesn't mean I think he screwed up. If it were Subban + a 2nd I'd say he screwed up. He took a calculated risk that he could get a better offer and it didn't work out. If he came close to a better deal, that opportunity was worth losing out on Spooner, a player I couldn't care less about having. If you feel differently about Spooner that should give you a different perspective, of course. You can't judge decision-making solely on outcomes, otherwise every time a player takes a shot and doesn't score we'd say he should have passed, etc. I disagree about the value of a pick in 2017. It's exactly the kind of thing I wanted to see us do. Spreading out picks is a good thing. We need a steady stream of potential young players coming in every year. That need becomes greater in the future, not lesser.

As to the draft, I'm not enamored with it either, but there's a reason Murray was willing to trade all three 2nd's and no one accepted. It was a poor class starting in the 2nd round. Let's give it some time. Let's also give Murray some time now that he's had a chance to bring his own personnel into the scouting department. Still mad about Barbashev and not thrilled with anything else about the draft besides Reinhart.

Last edited:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
RE: Chia Reportedly Made Two Different Offers For Chris Stewart

I have no problem with Murray trying to squeeze a prospect out of a division rival on trade deadline day. Why do Boston any favors?

"Hey if you want Stewart, Neuvirth and Flynn then we want ________ (Subban)!"

The leverage didn't work this time, but worth the try to get a guy that you want rather than more 2nd and later picks.

I wonder if Murray did the same thing with McNabb last year: "We'll take both those forwards if you want McNabb. We'll work out the value in picks"

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
I hate Boston so much that I'd much rather have the 2017 2nd round pick from Minnesota than whatever Boston was willing to cough up.

**** Boston. I'm glad they had to settle for someone they wanted less than Stewart. Murray can always acquire Subban or Spooner in another deal if he really wants them so bad.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Murray pulled a Regier and lost. Next time don't try to make the other team blink.

I dont know about pulling a Regier. Darcy would have held on to him if he didnt get the price he wanted. TM got something, which at the end of the day is better than nothing.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
So what's a better return for Flynn, Stewart and Neuvirth?

2 2nds or 2017 2nd,3rd,5th and Chad Johnson

Good going Murray!!! And he turned down Spooner and a 2nd for Stewart earlier in the season and ends jp with a 2nd 3 drafts from now instead AND retained salary.

Lets stop the Murray is a god praise . He is average end of story. Mediocre 2014 draft that's for damn sure especially compared to 2013.

Are you just going to ignore that the 2013 draft had loads more talent in it?

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
1. Irrelevant. No matter what Spooner has shown to be at least a "serviceable" player. You think he wouldn't be in our top 9 as of now? He easily would. It doesn't matter if we retained salary in the Boston deal or not, it was a better return end of story.
3.Same Spooner. Again, irrelavant. He would be in our starting lineup game in and game out . Only 23. Younger then trash like Schaller and Dalpe and probably will have a much better career.
4.I really don't think it was Murray's choice to take one in 2017 more like Minnesota decided when it was considering they have dealt a ton of their 2nds lately. Trying to spin us getting a 2nd three drafts from now as a boon is funny.
5. Nah, there were better picks to be made. His draft was downright sad for how many picks we had. Cornel and Karabacek are long shots to be NHL players. Not what you want from your high 2nd rounders

Again, Murray ****ed up. No getting around it. Spooner is nothing special but to say he wouldn't be in Buffalo right now and especially not playing good minutes is patently false. Murray pulled a Regier and lost. Next time don't try to make the other team blink.

Why not? Sometimes, they do blink, and you get more than you would've had you done it earlier. It's a calculated risk.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Replacing Mitchell / improving our center depth in the middle of the race for 30th is a good thing why, exactly?

This is only true if the team finishes 30th in both circumstances.

Why are we suddenly clamoring to bolster our center depth with eminently replaceable talent? Didn't Torrey Mitchell's recent performance make everyone realize we can't **** around with giving third liners random opportunities?

It wasn't, but it also doesn't matter.

Unsupported hyperbole.

It's not just getting the other team to "blink" it's getting the other team to blink in a way that doesn't replace guys like Mitchell and Stewart with another NHL caliber body. That wasn't there, so Murray took a "loss" getting longshot assets while making the team worse instead of adding talent in need of opportunity like Caron* and Connolly.

*Spooner. I got my irrelevant Bruins forwards mixed up.

Last edited:

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Replacing Mitchell / improving our center depth in the middle of the race for 30th is a good thing why, exactly?

This is only true if the team finishes 30th in both circumstances.

Why are we suddenly clamoring to bolster our center depth with eminently replaceable talent? Didn't Torrey Mitchell's recent performance make everyone realize we can't **** around with giving third liners random opportunities?

It wasn't, but it also doesn't matter.

Unsupported hyperbole.

It's not just getting the other team to "blink" it's getting the other team to blink in a way that doesn't replace guys like Mitchell and Stewart with another NHL caliber body. That wasn't there, so Murray took a "loss" getting longshot assets while making the team worse instead of adding talent in need of opportunity like Caron and Connolly.

Don't waste your time. He has a blind hatred for Murray and every decision the team makes will be spun to be terrible.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Let's just admit that Murray could've (and probably should've) gotten a better return for Stewart. Let's also admit that the difference in the two returns isn't going to have any huge effect on the future.

I don't make any sweeping judgments about Murray based on yesterday. It was garbage in-garbage out in the big scheme of things. I'll reserve judgment based on the Myers trade and the drafts (since he's supposed to be big on scouting).

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Spooner isn't really worth losing sleep over but it's a valuable lesson for Murray and one that doesn't really hurt us.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Then you get fletchers quotes about how he basically got the call from Murray with minutes left because all the teams he was working on fell through. If Fletcher doesn't answer that phone or he's done another deal by that time, were holding the bag.

Doesn't seem like a well managed process.

Cue everyone screaming at me for being blind with wicked hatred of our gm.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Spooner isn't really worth losing sleep over but it's a valuable lesson for Murray and one that doesn't really hurt us.

Exactly. Now we know a little more about how Tim Murray operates both his strengths and his weakness.

ZeroPT*

Murray letting Stewart even arrive in Buffalo was a mistake. Should've flipped him to Ottawa the second he was acquired.

He could've gotten Stone or Hoffman. Spooner+2nd or a 2nd is underwhelming either way.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Then you get fletchers quotes about how he basically got the call from Murray with minutes left because all the teams he was working on fell through. If Fletcher doesn't answer that phone or he's done another deal by that time, were holding the bag.

Doesn't seem like a well managed process.

Cue everyone screaming at me for being blind with wicked hatred of our gm.

Except it's already been established that Fletcher had called Murray early in the morning and said if your bigger deals for Stewart an't be worked out then give me a call We'll give you 2017 2nd for Stewart. He already had a back up plan the whole "What if Fletcher doesn't pick up" is a bit of a stretch.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Murray letting Stewart even arrive in Buffalo was a mistake. Should've flipped him to Ottawa the second he was acquired.

He could've gotten Stone or Hoffman. Spooner+2nd or a 2nd is underwhelming either way.

That was the talk, but I never did hear anything confirming this. I know I was hoping to add to Stewart if necessary to get Stone.

ZeroPT*

Pretty sure BMac said that uncle Bryan was willing to pay with one of the young scoring wingers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad