Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Linus Ullmark re-signs with the Sabres (1 year, $2.6M)

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Seems like a good signing. After this year they'll know if he's worth giving more money to, and they can take it from the departed Hutton if they do it.

Any Sabers fans want to guess on how he'll split starts with Hutton? Assuming 82 games, does Ullmark get 50 of them? I'm really interested.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
In assuming he’s going to get ~70% of the games? I have no clue why Hutton played so much this season.

Only because Ullmark was out for about 6 weeks with an injury from the last week of January through the first week of March.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Ullmark seems to be in that middle ground where you’re not sure if he’s a #1, or even if he’s a #1a vs #1b. You don’t lock up a #1b for three years when you don’t know if and when you’ll have a #1a on the team.

And maybe you end up a year or two from now and have a clear cut #1, and only need a cheaper #2 backup instead of a #1b.

1 or 2 year deal makes the most sense to me. 3 or more years don’t.

My point, and you are obviously missing, it is Buffalo has UPL on an ELC. He would be on top 5 list of ELC goalie prospects.

I dont want to go out there and sign a #1 goalie to some high 5 yr contract knowing I have a player in the system who could be a starter in 2 yrs.

Buffalo goalie if Ullmark was signed 3 yrs

20/21 Ullmark and Hutton
21/22 Ulamrk and a 1yr vet signing
22/23 Ullmark and UPL
23/24 UPL and vet NHL goalie who was a starter
24/25 UPL and vet NHL goalie who was a starter

The other possibility is next off season they let Ullmark go and sign a UFA goalie to a 4 yr contract

Next off season there isnt much out there in the UFA market id want to sign for 4 years other than Grubauer.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I think it's fair to say that this is a season that Buffalo needs to make the playoffs. Is the Ullmark-Hutton tandem a confident bet to get there? I would have thought they were going to upgrade one of them.

Reactions: the Chad Kilger

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I think it's fair to say that this is a season that Buffalo needs to make the playoffs. Is the Ullmark-Hutton tandem a confident bet to get there? I would have thought they were going to upgrade one of them.

Ullmark isn’t the one that needs to be upgraded though. Buffalo can’t go into next season with Hutton if playoffs are the goal.

Reactions: Eichel9

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Ullmark isn’t the one that needs to be upgraded though. Buffalo can’t go into next season with Hutton if playoffs are the goal.

Right, I think Ullmark at this point is a good backup.

What they really need is a legit starting that can be counted oon foor 50-55 games, and Ullmark can pick up the rest. Maybe by season after next year, he would have grown enough to be in a 1A/1B role. Don't see anything on the market that really fits the bill that can take the senior role to Ullmark.

So I see them still as a team that will more likely than not miss the playoffs this coming season. Maybe they can make a move early on in the season.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Right, I think Ullmark at this point is a good backup.

What they really need is a legit starting that can be counted oon foor 50-55 games, and Ullmark can pick up the rest. Maybe by season after next year, he would have grown enough to be in a 1A/1B role. Don't see anything on the market that really fits the bill that can take the senior role to Ullmark.

So I see them still as a team that will more likely than not miss the playoffs this coming season. Maybe they can make a move early on in the season.

Raanta or Keumper would be a good pick up, Arizona won’t want to go into next season with $8M+ locked up in two goalies. There’s plenty of time left to make moves, I think we’ll see more activity once the RFA’s arbitration’s are out of the way.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Raanta or Keumper would be a good pick up, Arizona won’t want to go into next season with $8M+ locked up in two goalies. There’s plenty of time left to make moves, I think we’ll see more activity once the RFA’s arbitration’s are out of the way.

Exactly;

Actually I pointed out in an earlier thread that Kuemper might be the only option, if AZ is selling, although they might just move Raanta instead. I think it's a Kuemper level bona fide #1 that would push them firmly into a playoff spot, not a 1B type like Raanta. But I'm not really sure that they have the assets necessary to land someone like Kuemper.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Why are people so high on UPL and no mention of jonas johansson? He had better numbers in AHL than UPL did in ECHL.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Why are people so high on UPL and no mention of jonas johansson? He had better numbers in AHL than UPL did in ECHL.

JJ is 25 while UPL is 21. JJ just made his NHL debut in 5th season in the states. UPL made his AHL debut last season.

UPL's 1st season in the ECHL blew the doors off of JJ's 1st season in the ECHL.

UPL has undeniable upside while JJ......he has been a slow and steady riser. Most Buffalo/Rochester observers will tell you that JJ's ceiling right now appears to be a 1B NHL guy at absolute best but more likely a #3 organizational goalie. UPL on the other hand has legit NHL starter potential.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
JJ is 25 while UPL is 21. JJ just made his NHL debut in 5th season in the states. UPL made his AHL debut last season.

UPL's 1st season in the ECHL blew the doors off of JJ's 1st season in the ECHL.

UPL has undeniable upside while JJ......he has been a slow and steady riser. Most Buffalo/Rochester observers will tell you that JJ's ceiling right now appears to be a 1B NHL guy at absolute best but more likely a #3 organizational goalie. UPL on the other hand has legit NHL starter potential.

Thanks for the info. I was just confused as JJ just got an opportunity with a team that wasn't a good fit for most new goalies last season. Do you think JJ will get more of a chance this season? 2014 had a few goalies just now getting their opportunity in kahkonen, nedeljkovic, husso, and last year with Demko, shesty, merzlikins.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Thanks for the info. I was just confused as JJ just got an opportunity with a team that wasn't a good fit for most new goalies last season. Do you think JJ will get more of a chance this season? 2014 had a few goalies just now getting their opportunity in kahkonen, nedeljkovic, husso, and last year with Demko, shesty, merzlikins.

JJ got a chance last year thanks to injuries to Ullmark AND Hutton at the same time, and then Hammond got hurt.

I think we're running with JJ as our organizational 3rd this year, so it wouldn't surprise me if he got into ~5 games again.

Reactions: thefutures

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

UPL is far and away the better prospect. He had double hip surgery last summer, so no one should've expected a big statistical season from him last year, but he's a very young G with the potential to be a quality starter. He crushed the OHL and WJC in 18-19, and even made a nice AHL debut that season. The hip surgery/recovery slowed him down a lot; Ullmark had the same thing at one point, and he was terrible the season afterward, too. Johansson, on the other hand, is 25 and just had a "breakout" AHL season, having shown really nothing to write home about before then.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

In this season, say Ullmark does well and can play low 50 games. I dont have a problem with JJ as a back up goalie in 21/22 season

I think they eventually sign him to a contract extension just so they have a goaluie under contract to expose.

He could be uses as a 3rd goalie next year if Buffalo wanted to go with 3 goalie monte in a 13/7/3 roster

If thats the case they would then likely sign Hamburgler for another year.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
There's a chance Ullmark turns some heads. He's betting on himself, and the Sabre upgrades. He wasn't bad on a bad team. BUF and LU were sneaky good on some stats. Don't be shocked if every prediction on here about him being meh is wrong.

Reactions: DarthProbert

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
There's a chance Ullmark turns some heads. He's betting on himself, and the Sabre upgrades. He wasn't bad on a bad team. BUF and LU were sneaky good on some stats. Don't be shocked if every prediction on here about him being meh is wrong.

They’ll just say that he’s a product of now being on a good team, or something.

I say I leave my job as goalie coach for Jokerit, unretire, and come back next year and lead the Sabres to the Cup! I did back up NHL legend John Blue so I know a thing or two... :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad