Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Linus Ullmark re-signs with the Sabres (1 year, $2.6M)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Similar to the Reinhart deal. Still RFA when this deal is done . Gives both sides more time to work something more permanent if there's interest in it and more flexibility.

Edit : Guess i was wrong here. Meh . Walking someone directly into UFA isn't great but with a goalie meh.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Ullmark will be a UFA after this year.

Not according to Capfriendly .

Edit : They fixed it now but i'm fairly certain it first said he was still RFA . I looked it up before i made my first post.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
what's the consensus on this guy? he looked really good a few times i saw him, then not so good
a few other times. sabres fans, think he can be a steady #1?

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
what's the consensus on this guy? he looked really good a few times i saw him, then not so good

Average NHL goalie, which is above average for the Sabres because they've had truly awful goalies. Hutton was among the bottom-five worst goalies in the NHL, while Ulmark was right in the middle.

Reactions: qqaz

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Similar to the Reinhart deal. Still RFA when this deal is done . Gives both sides more time to work something more permanent if there's interest in it and more flexibility.

Edit : Guess i was wrong here. Meh . Walking someone directly into UFA isn't great but with a goalie meh.

he’s a UFA next summer.

He is 27 now.

I figured something low/mid 3M on a 3 yr deal where year 1 could have been around here.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I think he can be a low #1 goalie p,ayimg 45-50 games. He’s avg mid 30s the last 2 years

Buffalo has a strong goalie prospect starting year 2 of an ELC who could be on Sabres by 21/22.

Reactions: neelynugs

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
In assuming he’s going to get ~70% of the games? I have no clue why Hutton played so much this season.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Ullmark is a poor mans Jhonas Enroth, I don’t believe Ullmark has what it takes to be a full time starter in the NHL.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Both Ullmark and Hutton UFA's.
They have Johanson's rights as the exposed for the expansion draft.

Buffalo probably going to swing one of those RD's, maybe a forward to for a goalie I'd surmise.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Sabres have UPL coming next season on an entry level deal. Makes sense to clear cap next season if Ullmark doesnt show hes ready to be a #1. Roll with the rookie and pay a journeyman backup on a 1/2 year deal in 2021-22

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Both Ullmark and Hutton UFA's.
They have Johanson's rights as the exposed for the expansion draft.

Buffalo probably going to swing one of those RD's, maybe a forward to for a goalie I'd surmise.
The Sabres also have Finnish goalie Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen waiting in the wings as well but looking at his numbers in the AHL indicates he needs a lot more time to develop in the minors before he could even be considered for a role in Buffalo’s net.

Seems like going back to Finland might have been the best thing for Luukkonen so far as he has a .916 save percentage in 4 games for TPS in the Liiga.

I believe you might be onto something if the Hutton - Ullmark tandem falters again Buffalo might look at trading a RD and or a prospect for a more proven starting goaltender.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Nice deal! I just hope GMKA has a plan because he could try to bend us over next year if we don't add another acceptable starter talent to reduce his leverage. UFA

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

No real consensus, but I think he’s a perfectly good lower-tier starter- somewhere between 15-30 best goalies. He was good second half of the season, Hutton just sucks- so this is a good price for Ullmark and we just hope Luukonen is the real deal.

Reactions: qqaz and neelynugs

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
he’s a UFA next summer.

He is 27 now.

I figured something low/mid 3M on a 3 yr deal where year 1 could have been around here.

Ullmark seems to be in that middle ground where you’re not sure if he’s a #1, or even if he’s a #1a vs #1b. You don’t lock up a #1b for three years when you don’t know if and when you’ll have a #1a on the team.

And maybe you end up a year or two from now and have a clear cut #1, and only need a cheaper #2 backup instead of a #1b.

1 or 2 year deal makes the most sense to me. 3 or more years don’t.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad