Confirmed with Link: [BUF/LAK] G Erik Portillo to the LA Kings for a 2023 3rd round pick

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
i believe the rule is that if it is a 1st round pick, the team gets a compensatory pick in the 2nd round in the same slot that the player was originally drafted. there is no compensation for players selected outside the 1st round.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Of course. It's my assumption, and I think a fair one, that there's an understanding that he will sign. It matches up with his big city aspirations, hence the snark.

I don't think big city aspirations have anything to do with it. The timing wasn't right and the acquisition and adoration of Levi by the new GM, in the vacuum of the missing development camps to build further bonds with the organization, it's easy to see where the relationship wasn't strong enough.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
i believe the rule is that if it is a 1st round pick, the team gets a compensatory pick in the 2nd round in the same slot that the player was originally drafted. there is no compensation for players selected outside the 1st round.

That is correct. The Flyers likely take the compensation pick for O'Brien but that will be in 2024 since his rights don't expire until after the draft.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Levi would be crazy to sign in this dumpster fire,
Lol.

So we’ve gone from Adams should make a move because our young guys are way ahead of schedule and Dahlin and Tage are playing at Hart and Norris level, to being a dumpster fire because he didn’t make a trade YET.

I’m pissed about the Chychrun deal too but this forum man, people need to get a grip.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I don't think big city aspirations have anything to do with it. The timing wasn't right and the acquisition and adoration of Levi by the new GM, in the vacuum of the missing development camps to build further bonds with the organization, it's easy to see where the relationship wasn't strong enough.
Eh, I do. His business future has been mentioned a few times (which is a few times more than any prospect I can ever remember) and he ended up in the second largest city on the continent, not Winnipeg or Ottawa, doing nothing to dispel the idea. I'm going to go ahead and be unimpressed by his approach and probably root against him, gotta have some fun following sports somehow.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Seems about right. Bummed he wouldn't sign here but it is what it is. I'll take a 3rd all day vs. watching him walk this summer.

Kind of funny that the last 2 times a college goalie refused to sign here he ended up in LA.
Not to sound like a jerk, but i'm hoping Portillo turns out to be no better than Peterson. lol

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seems about right. Bummed he wouldn't sign here but it is what it is. I'll take a 3rd all day vs. watching him walk this summer.

Kind of funny that the last 2 times a college goalie refused to sign here he ended up in LA.
Not to sound like a jerk, but i'm hoping Portillo turns out to be no better than Peterson. lol

If he doesn't sign in LA, that too would be interesting. We'll see I suppose.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
The value is fine for what would have been a lost asset, but man losing a rare prospect success story for basically nothing for a franchise that has been starved for talent at said prospect's position for the better part of a decade is a kick in the pants.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Good points, both. Totally forgot about the whole "2nd round pick as compensation" thing........
It'll be right at the back of '24 though - so i guess there's an arguement that an early '23 R3 would hold similar value?

The pick swap with Toronto is one of those things that got blown out of proportion more than anything in the history of this forum. You could argue that Botts should have got a R5 pick instead... But in the scheme of things it's so inconsequential.

Nice job by Adams on this move - but after seeing what Chychrun went for coupled with his lack of activity... I'm on a downer. And i hate that because we're relevant in March for the first time in forever.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
The problem is you have to get a 2nd for him. Because you’re getting a 2nd for him if he walks. If people offer the same 3 these guys go for…you don’t take it
So.. (1) the comp pick is in 2024, and it is the LAST pick of the second round, so #65?. (2) This pick is a 2023 3rd rounder from LA, if you say they finish 16 OA in 2023, that would be pick #81 if I am estimating value. Do GMs value upcoming draft picks over next years draft picks? You also need to consider rumored draft depth.

So the question is which has more value or are they equal?

2023 #81 <= 2024 #65

At that point, they are kind of the same pool of picks and it's your amateur scouting that needs to figure it out, and how you develop those picks. I am not sure there is any significant value difference.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
People need to understand that the 2023 draft is not this magical well of elite prospects that runs so deep that every round is a full round of value higher than usual.

it isn’t.

it has an elite 1 and much better 2-4 than usual. Then it’s a regular draft. Worse for D than almost ever.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Weird, but that's Ed Belfour in one of those comp columns. Mikko Koskinen... Yann Danis.

Some nobodies, and some actual NHLers. His models continue to not tell us much if we can just pick a name or two out of a broad spectrum of successful or invisible players to make an attempted point.
Belfour is in the draft comps and not full comps list. So, I can see why he didn't look there.

It does show that Portillo is not having a great year this year and that does not bode well for his long term development. He could turn into something long term. But, it was a good move to get a 3rd for a guy that was walking.

Reactions: HOOats

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

“It’s obviously a business and, first of all, I'm super thankful for everything that I went through with Buffalo,” he told The News during a phone interview. “I had such a good time working with Seamus (Kotyk, Sabres goalie development coach) very closely. He's been absolutely fantastic for my development. It's a business decision and I don't want to get too deep into that, but I think the opportunity in LA is gonna be great. I'm really excited to hopefully start my pro career there and get going. It’s obviously a good opportunity and hopefully I get something started there.”

“For me, personally, I don't think I've ever seen that as the issue, Levi and Luukkonen,” he said. “A lot of good, talented goalies. But, I mean, I've always seen it as, there's always going to be a tough way to get to the NHL, no matter what team you play on. But I got a really good feeling with LA and Rob Blake, and he's also very close to my current agent right now, (Pat) Brisson. I really trust them in what they're doing. … It is what it is. It's a business decision, and I got recommended to go this route.”

So F Pat Brisson I guess. The Kings do only have Copley and Petersen signed for next year so that path is pretty clear especially with Petersen being on the outs - but still.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Brisson, Eichel's agent. Heh. Dick.

“For me, personally, I don't think I've ever seen that as the issue, Levi and Luukkonen,” he said. “A lot of good, talented goalies. But, I mean, I've always seen it as, there's always going to be a tough way to get to the NHL, no matter what team you play on. But I got a really good feeling with LA and Rob Blake, and he's also very close to my current agent right now, (Pat) Brisson. I really trust them in what they're doing. … It is what it is. It's a business decision, and I got recommended to go this route.”

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Lol. Apparently the Stephen M. Ross School at Michigan is imparting its namesake's talent for talking out of both sides of his mouth. Good to know he thinks Levi is the real deal at least.

To quote the late, great Rick James - "See, I never just did things just to do them. Come on, what am I gonna do? Just all of a sudden jump up and grind my feet on somebody's couch like it's something to do? Come on. I got a little more sense then that...Yeah, I remember grinding my feet on Eddie's couch."

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad