Confirmed with Link: [BUF/LAK] G Erik Portillo to the LA Kings for a 2023 3rd round pick

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
These are more like gentleman’s agreement compensation picks. Realistically if he’s going to sign in LA they don’t need to trade for him.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Anyone think the timing of this trade is relevant? Does he actually need to play to burn a year of his ELC if he signs this year?

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Is it assuming too much to interpret this as a positive on the Ryan Johnson front? You’d think if they were in conversations with LA about NCAA prospects about to hit UFA, they would have discussed Johnson as well given his connection to the organization. If Adams didn’t feel confident in signing him, and they’re offering a 3rd for just Portillo, you’d think they would’ve worked something out on Johnson too.

Good value to get a 3rd for a guy who’d leave you with nothing in another 5 months.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Is it assuming too much to interpret this as a positive on the Ryan Johnson front? You’d think if they were in conversations with LA about NCAA prospects about to hit UFA, they would have discussed Johnson as well given his connection to the organization. If Adams didn’t feel confident in signing him, and they’re offering a 3rd for just Portillo, you’d think they would’ve worked something out on Johnson too.

Good value to get a 3rd for a guy who’d leave you with nothing in another 5 months.
Most people think Johnson is going to sign here. It's the doom-posters that think he's going to UFA.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Kind of? If RJ wasn't going to sign, I have no doubt that he'd be dealt.

But I don't think it's really been much of a concern except to those who choose to believe everything negative.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Kind of? If RJ wasn't going to sign, I have no doubt that he'd be dealt.

But I don't think it's really been much of a concern except to those who choose to believe everything negative.
The problem is you have to get a 2nd for him. Because you’re getting a 2nd for him if he walks. If people offer the same 3 these guys go for…you don’t take it

Whaddaya mean? Botterill was great at turning a 6th into a future 6th.
I still don’t have a problem with that trade. You know at the table if you like next years draft better than this one

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Good trade. Maybe we can draft someone like Josh Bloom with that pick.
12 w such vitriol to Adams , who along w Donny and staff has created a team that we have no idea of their ceiling as they are ridiculously young..
So karmanos brought in a fighter that can actually move the puck and hit cleanly to rip the bruins and Tampa and other teams that can't beat us without injuring our key players.. that ENDS against Tampa coward bolts on our home ice that its about revenge and Honor and two points would be cool too.
We have no fookin idea what happened to dahlin,tuch but we certainly saw cernak try to end Kyle. You don't think our evaluation team assessments determined Bloom was unable to contribute significantly in the next two years and the prospects we have will fight fir spots..Ill trust KA and Karmanos and our eval team..

Great move to recover the pick we stupidly wasted on him.
Wow.. such certainty..

We're fun to watch, cocky and learning slow and incrementally like ...kids? All i see are complaints thst would have dumped every guy on our team from Kyle to Skinner to Thompson ( sucky giraffe, cut him! ) Will VO pan out ( is he just injured ) etc.. shoot our goalies inti the sun ..Dahlin sucks, can't shoot abd needa to be sent down.. These all were less than a year ago .

i demand a winner to but this is a fragile oeriod to see if we step the fck up ,win 15 and stop golfing. I think we can do it even after that lame blue jackets debacle. Go Sabres.

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Screenshot_20230301_212849_Instagram.jpg

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Nope.

Arizona did pretty good on the Chychrun deal. Adams was never moving his 23 1st, and Armstrong got a 1st that may be close to top 10 in this stacked draft.

This move is going to look very bad for Ottawa in two years when Chychrun won't resign and he either walks for nothing, or they get nickels on their dollars when they trade him as a rental.
It could look very good for Ottawa this year if they make the playoffs and Buffalo misses.

Ottawa is not exactly a destination for free agents, so I think trades like this are good for them.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Anyone else think they timed this out to be minutes after Chychrun went for so little on purpose? Fill those twitter timelines with local takes on this and try to distract people.
Yes. I absolutely assume that. Same thing happened with Meier trade. Trade got announced and Sabres twitter account tweeted out video of Ryan Miller night.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The problem is you have to get a 2nd for him. Because you’re getting a 2nd for him if he walks. If people offer the same 3 these guys go for…you don’t take it

I still don’t have a problem with that trade. You know at the table if you like next years draft better than this one

Good points, both. Totally forgot about the whole "2nd round pick as compensation" thing........

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY

I forgot about this. What's the rule? If they were a 1st round pick, the team gets a compensatory pick, but not if they were a later round pick?

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
It could look very good for Ottawa this year if they make the playoffs and Buffalo misses.

Ottawa is not exactly a destination for free agents, so I think trades like this are good for them.

I think Ottawa is two years farther along than the Sabres, so it makes more sense there. I still have serous doubts he would resign in either city, leaving a big hole and seting back a rebuild a couple of years if he leaves.

Sens forward core is a couple of pieces away from being a contender level core, imo.

Tkachuk
Batherson
Debrincat
Giroux
Stutzle
Norrris
Pinto

And they have some high-end prospects about to break in.

Sabres core is a couple of years of development and several pieces away yet and they need to define roles and reinvent their identity imo (still a work in progress).

In two years hopefully Peterka, Quinn and Cozens are physically mature enough to dominate like they did earlier this season even when teams are keying on them physically. At that point, I think they will be where Ottawa currently is as a forward core.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad