Confirmed with Link: [BUF/LAK]Brayden McNabb + 2 2nd's + Parker for Hudson Fasching + Nicolas Deslauriers

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The trade was mainly about Fasching from a Buffalo pov but it was also a swap of two players that lost their waiver eligibility and didn't fit in their team's plans.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The y looked ahead to this deal knowing they would have McCabe signed and they expected Zadorov to be on the team.

Thus McNabb was tradeable.

2 late 2nds < Fasching
Deslauriers < McNabb ....both players would have burned their ELC time and get exposed to waivers.

I think it was 2 separate deals that turned into one.

Last edited:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
The y looked ahead to this deal knowing they would have McCabe signed and they expected Zadorov to be on the team.

2 late 2nds > Fasching
Deslauriers < McNabb ....both players would have burned their ELC time and get exposed to waivers.

You have us losing both of those deals, unless there's a slip there.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I think I would have preferred to keep the 2 2nds over Fasching.

Keeping McNabb means he could have been in our top 6 all year allowing Pysyk to spend the full season in Rochester. And the 2 2nds could have been packaged in a move with our 2 late 2015 1sts to move up and get a much better prospect then Fasching. Not really a "bad" trade but I feel we could have not done it and gotten better long term assets from it.

ZeroPT*

Keeping McNabb means he could have been in our top 6 all year allowing Pysyk to spend the full season in Rochester. And the 2 2nds could have been packaged in a move with our 2 late 2015 1sts to move up and get a much better prospect then Fasching. Not really a "bad" trade but I feel we could have not done it and gotten better long term assets from it.

One of the seconds was in 2014 so trading a 2014 2nd and a 2015 one (Both late as hell) for a 2015 1st would never have worked.
Fasching is a hell of a forward prospect. I seriously doubt any late 2nd would have turned out better or even equal to him.

The 2nd rounders are just magic beans. We have like a million, trading a couple for a guy like Fasching was really really shrewd.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

2 late 2nds > Fasching

If you break it down like that then I'd trade those LA picks for Fasching any time.

Bps21*

Five seconds already between 14-15 is plenty. Knowing what you're going after instead of counting on what might be there when you draft isn't nothing. As is...you know...having half the goddamned second round picks in the draft already.

And McNabb being here doesn't change a ****ing thing about Pysyk. We carry 8 D. It's not like McNabb being gone left us a man down in the plan. Unless youre positing that he wouldn't have ever been injured here...in which case I bow to your knowledge of alternate dimensions. In this one playing a handful of games in the NHL isn't doing Pysyk any harm. That's ridiculous.

It's always the same posters...

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor
Not really. McNabb had a nice little run getting carried around by Doughty earlier in the season. It got him some points. But McNabb has gotten less and less ice time. He is currently a bottom pairing dman getting very little ice time. The last 10gms he's averaged 14:30 minutes and the last 4 games he's played only 14:00, 14:03, 12:42 and 12:43. He hardly matters for the Kings. I'm guessing thats due in large part to his skating issues and how they can be exposed at the NHL level.

This is exactly how it was planned his development from start of the season, but dou to many injuries to Kings D he was forced to play minutes that were too much for his first season in NHL.

Now he is not forced to play the hardest minutes, can work on his details that are still missing in his game and he is visibly better with each game. McNabb was not brought to be no.1 or 2 immediately, but to become top4 D at Kings in near future (in next season).

I believe this trade is going into right direction for both teams.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville

you know you could flip Fasching and 2015 1st into a better 2015 1st. He's a better trading chip than two late 2nds.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
Nabber seemed slow in his decision-making while with the Sabres and IMHO was behind RR/NZ in the depth chart. The trade made sense then and still makes sense now.

Daylo has been very solid, and could even play D if push came to shove. Fasching has been developing steadily since being drafted and this hasn't changed since the trade.

Considering that the Sabres immediately replaced the 2 2nd's by trading Moulson/McCormick, this was a good trade all around.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
This is exactly how it was planned his development from start of the season, but dou to many injuries to Kings D he was forced to play minutes that were too much for his first season in NHL.

Now he is not forced to play the hardest minutes, can work on his details that are still missing in his game and he is visibly better with each game. McNabb was not brought to be no.1 or 2 immediately, but to become top4 D at Kings in near future (in next season).

I believe this trade is going into right direction for both teams.

For the Kings sake I hope he puts his game together.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
you know you could flip Fasching and 2015 1st into a better 2015 1st. He's a better trading chip than two late 2nds.

The 2014 2nd was definitely a late 2nd as it was #60 but this season the Kings pick in round 2 will likely be in the mid to late 40s. Anyway I don't really have a big issue with the deal I just don't see it as the slam dunk/home run that a few others do. And I'm not going to pretend like I am an expert on Fasching as I haven't seen him play outside of the WJC but I will say I think McNabbs skill set is definitely something we are lacking outside of Zadorov.... Since for the most part both teams fans are happy then we can say it was the definition of a win win trade..... I just wish we could have kept McNabb.

I wouldn't have a problem moving the 2 2nds for Fasching if he is as good as some people expect him to be, but if we were able to make the move without including Deslauriers and McNabb I would have preferred that (even if Deslauriers has been on a streak lately and has turned into a fan favorite)

ZeroPT*

The 2014 2nd was definitely a late 2nd as it was #60 but this season the Kings pick in round 2 will likely be in the mid to late 40s. Anyway I don't really have a big issue with the deal I just don't see it as the slam dunk/home run that a few others do. And I'm not going to pretend like I am an expert on Fasching as I haven't seen him play outside of the WJC but I will say I think McNabbs skill set is definitely something we are lacking outside of Zadorov.... Since for the most part both teams fans are happy then we can say it was the definition of a win win trade..... I just wish we could have kept McNabb.

I wouldn't have a problem moving the 2 2nds for Fasching if he is as good as some people expect him to be, but if we were able to make the move without including Deslauriers and McNabb I would have preferred that (even if Deslauriers has been on a streak lately and has turned into a fan favorite)

I'm sorry but that's just not true. They always suck in the regular season. They turn it on in the playoffs

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
I'm sorry but that's just not true. They always suck in the regular season. They turn it on in the playoffs

True story. to put into context. We drafted johannson right after LAK 2nd round pick, so that pick would have similar value to him.

So I see it as Fasching>Johannson and another mid-late 2nd round pick.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I really don't like these "who won the trade" guessing games. Trades aren't zero-sum equations. LA wanted a big, young, near-NHL ready defenseman and some of their picks back for ammunition to make other deals (or to use the picks). We wanted a potential top-6 power forward having a great season at a top college program and coming off an impressive showing in the WJC, as well as a bottom-6 forward with upside and grit--and the way Deslauriers tosses the mitts, he largely makes staged fighters on this team obsolete.

Those are the trades teams are supposed to make.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I really don't like these "who won the trade" guessing games. Trades aren't zero-sum equations. LA wanted a big, young, near-NHL ready defenseman and some of their picks back for ammunition to make other deals (or to use the picks). We wanted a potential top-6 power forward having a great season at a top college program and coming off an impressive showing in the WJC, as well as a bottom-6 forward with upside and grit--and the way Deslauriers tosses the mitts, he largely makes staged fighters on this team obsolete.

I agree completely. Great hockey trade. Some of the stuff I've seen on this thread...... oy vey :shakehead:pillow::banghead:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
People refuse to think that trades can work out for both parties and there doesn't have to be a loser.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

To add to this. Both Des and McNabb were going to have to be exposed to waivers the following season (this year). Neither were likely in their teams plans but had a place on their new tems. So it made great sense asset management-wise for the teams to swap players like that. Add in Murray willing to pay what the Kings wanted for Fasching and we got ourselves a hockey trade.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
I don't really care if the trade was good or bad for LAK. I'm pretty sure we are focusing on whether it was good or bad for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad