Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Jeff Skinner signs extension (8 years, $9M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Glad it wasn’t the Canes forced into giving him that.

Good for him, though. Always liked him. I hope he gets a chance to play in the playoffs soon.

As long as it isn't at Carolinas expense or against Carolina I agree. Still hate that he never got the chance with our team but shit happens.

Reactions: MinJerkBen

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You pay that money to a guy who can drive a line and is consistent. Skinner is neither of those. Why would you want to pay 9M to a guy that cant make others around him better and only shows up for half a year?
Would you like to magically make a player who can drive a line available to the Sabres for $9 million? Also unless you think Jack is going to get hit by a bus tomorrow he will be the guy setting him up for the entire contract so it's a safe bet that he scores goals.

Reactions: TS Quint

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
The ELITE 5v5 goal scoring argument for skinner to justify his contract is laughable.

See the key thing is, the elite 5v5 goal scorers also do a lot of other things too (PK, power play production, takeaways, assists, etc)

Skinner does not. You're giving $9 mil to a one dimensional passenger player

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Can’t believe skinner is about to sign a 9M. Thats putrid, buffalo is about to kill the market big time.

But... but... its worth it. "Its only a 1-2 million dollar overpay and a year or two too long"... says every fan who overpaid a UFA. Have heard the same shit enough times to know this will likely end disasterously.

Enjoy this in 3-4 years Buffalo. You never know, but this will probably look like shit soon enough.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
I respect the opinion that this is an overpayment, but as a Sabres fan what other people think about the value of this contract doesn't dampen my joy even a little bit. This is every bit as much the right move as the ROR trade was the wrong move. We need this player, we can afford the price in the short term and can manage the consequences long term.

We can sign value contracts when we win more, and we can't win more by letting this particular player walk.

I'm happy tonight and looking forward to the next move.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Evander Kane is also 10x the all around player Skinner is. Id easily take Kane over Skinner.

Having closely watched both in Buffalo, no. Evander Kane skates fast and takes a lot of shots, but he makes stupid decisions constantly. So many offensive possessions died on his stick because he just ripped pucks high and wide and back the other direction without even bothering to look for any other play he might've made. Skinner doesn't hit/fight like Kane, but he's a much smarter all-around player.

Reactions: Steddy33

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I never said it was amazing value. Read.

I think I understand. Saying "well, contracts are gonna get bigger and its not 2015" doesn't make it better. 9 million for max term for a player who has never broken even 65 points is f***ing awful. You'd think with the rising RFA costs that GMs would stop overpaying for UFA talent... doesn't look like it.

Reactions: weems

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The ELITE 5v5 goal scoring argument for skinner to justify his contract is laughable.

See the key thing is, the elite 5v5 goal scorers also do a lot of other things too (PK, power play production, takeaways, assists, etc)

Ah, yes Skinner the passenger who spent most of his career coasting off elite talents like *checks linemates* Riley Nash and Joni Pitkanen. :huh:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Ah, yes Skinner the passenger who spent most of his career coasting off elite talents like *checks linemates* Riley Nash and Joni Pitkanen. :huh:

Hey now, Riley "Steve" Nash was the best player in Hurricanes history to wear #20 until Sebastian Aho came along, besides Skinners best line mate was Victor "One pick before Brandon Saad" Rask.

:D

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
You pay that money to a guy who can drive a line and is consistent. Skinner is neither of those. Why would you want to pay 9M to a guy that cant make others around him better and only shows up for half a year?

Idk, ask the Sabres' GM...I'm just here stating facts, not opinions.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

Yeah he does nothing. Over 45 penalties drawn per year averaged over the last 6 years. Malkin? Averaged 39 per year. JS

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Probably not getting announced until after the Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad