Proposal: BUF / FLA

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Looking to gauge the value of both of these players.

To Florida :panthers
RHD - Rasmus Ristolainen 25YO [email protected]

To Buffalo :sabres
C - Vincent Trocheck 26YO 2 [email protected]

Who would need to add? Is it fair as is?

Buffalo needs scoring help and Trocheck could slot in at 2C to play with skinner for the time being.Hes a great two way player and I’d be hoping he would get back to 2016-17 form with some more ice time and playing in all situations. As is, his last 2 years (last and this year) he’s at a 55pt/82GP clip. But even that would be an major upgrade for buffalo.

Florida needs a shutdown type dman (apparently) and Risto would fit the bill and I think he would be awesome behind Ekblad. He’ll have a fresh start as well. Which might be what both guys need.

They would each get a year and 1/4 to play for their new teams before committing long term.

let me know if I’m way off value wise.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Say what you want about Ristolainen but he has been the best Sabres defenseman this year by a good margin.

I actually don’t mind Risto. We share the exact same birthday and I feel like he was over used by the sabres. Not saying he’s bad in any way. But maybe shutdown was a bit of a stretch. I just feel like he’s the only guy at a position of strength that holds decent value

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
I feel like your characterization of both of these players is off. Ristolainen is basically a power forward who plays D. Trocheck is a giveaway machine.

The only time Risto looks like a power forward is when he goes into the corner to kill possession but okay. He’s only behind mccabe in d zone starts and that’s because mccabe is useless offensively. Risto isn’t as bad on D as most sabres fans make it out to be. Most of his mistakes are lapses in judgement. Do you see who trocheck has been deployed with most of the year? Connolly and sceviour aren’t exactly great on the breakout. They have pretty poor anayaltics compared to trocheck, while yeah he is having a down year I don’t think 0.7 turnover to giveaway ratio classifies as a turnover machine lmao

JesterOnly

Mar 5, 2007
SF Bay Area, CA
Buffalo would be morons to decline this trade if offered by Florida. Trocheck is a good 2nd line C that has good underlying numbers whereas Risto is a decent second pairing D that has negative value in his own zone that you only hope his offense can offset. And the Panthers are dealing with that kind of thing from Yandle right now, who they are MASSIVELY protecting through matchups and Ozone/Dzone start %. To have to do that with two different 2/3 pair defenders who absolutely should not be on the ice at the same time would be immensely limiting. Florida seems content with Stillman right now (though their weird D as forwards thing is a big woof, but I guess they could try that with Risto), and making this trade means that instead of needing a 2/3 tweener D they now need a #2C, which would mean another trade for a team that hopes to make the playoffs. Trocheck is much better than Acciari, so there is no one that Florida would elevate to fill Trocheck's spot that isn't a strong downgrade.

Trocheck is better at his role than Risto, though if you can protect Risto he's still a good offensive D
Trocheck holds more value than Risto, imo
This trade doesn't make sense for Florida, the team that would be looking to complete their roster in this trade
Trocheck is actually cheaper than Risto, though both are on decent value contracts for the same length
Risto is younger though, so that's nice
For Florida, a trade for Dillon from SJ makes more sense since they get a quality Dzone defender without losing a roster piece, plus SJ can retain value

Reactions: DJN21

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Buffalo should do this. Not sure the value is there for Florida considering the D-core they have in place.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Why does Florida trade its 2C, with no obvious heir apparent, for yet another RHD when it already has Stralman and Ekblad (and others who can hold down a RD3 slot)?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The only time Risto looks like a power forward is when he goes into the corner to kill possession but okay. He’s only behind mccabe in d zone starts and that’s because mccabe is useless offensively. Risto isn’t as bad on D as most sabres fans make it out to be. Most of his mistakes are lapses in judgement. Do you see who trocheck has been deployed with most of the year? Connolly and sceviour aren’t exactly great on the breakout. They have pretty poor anayaltics compared to trocheck, while yeah he is having a down year I don’t think 0.7 turnover to giveaway ratio classifies as a turnover machine lmao

Trocheck is 5th in the entire NHL in giveaways per 60 among players with at least 10 games played. If you bump the minimum GP up to 12, he's 3rd. He gives the puck away a lot.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Tro isn’t going to be moved within the division, at least not for that. I’ll be surprised if he’s moved at all, but Risto doesn’t move the needle imo

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
It’s 100 percent true.

There's probably no point listing every single metric opposing this statement since everyone has seen them enough and they're discussed every trade thread involving him, also you'd clearly just respond "nuh uhh."

I'm not saying he's the worst defensemen on the team, but to say he's 100% by far the best is way off base.

Reactions: Chainshot

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

If you think that's the only time Risto plays like a power forward, then you either haven't watched the Sabres for most of this year, or don't pay attention when you do. Heck, all you have to do is watch last night's highlights versus the Leafs to see how Risto plays.

Risto plays in front of the net on PP1 and he regularly drives to the net to generate offense.

I'm against trading Risto and would rather move Montour.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda

still salty from last night??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad