GDT: BUF @ FLA 7pm TV:ESPN+/Hulu Radio:WGR - Down in FLA

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
So just to recap:

Benson was tackled and somehow called for holding

Clifton gets a high stick penalty for a guy hitting himself

Greenway gets an extra for Cousins taking a dive how what he did ended up in 2 minors even with the dive is confounding

Benson chips the puck deep then is interfered. He falls and trips s guy.

Donny tells the refs they’ve been bad.

12 minutes of penalty that were egregiously bad calls. The last 2 resulted in a 5-3 and the gwg.
Seemed like a pretty normal game to me…

Reactions: JLewyB and Ralonzo

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
What is with this stuff about the goalie? you do not pull him unless you get it deep. the PLAYERS failed miserably to play it right. Cozens was going fast enough to retrieve his own dump in and went offsides.

G-UPL Tage Cozens
U-Literally everyone else was dog shit not including the 4th line which was fine.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Just terrible officiating tonight. Completely incompetent.

The ref with the googly eyes is notoriously bad.
Yes. Do you know if that's Thomas John Luxmore or Michael Markovic?

I'd rather not pay attention to who our refs are nightly, but it might be necessary since they're rolling out a seemingly unending new crop of NPC refs schooled in game management and favorite-ism.

Reactions: Chainshot

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
It's wild to me that we stopped doing GBUs about 2 months into the season. That's a new low.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
G - some fight in the group. They didn't shy away from the front of the net. It was nice to see the kids full of piss and vinegar when FLA was gooning it up.

B - our second period was atrocious. I can live with it because FLA is a really good team and we still managed to play solid defensively. Just need more consistency which should come with age.

U - the officiating. Holy shit that was bad. I am talking specifically the 5-3 at the end.

Too little too late (2L2L) - i found the ignore button and it's much easier to read some of these threads.

Hard to be too mad at the team for this one. They played a solid first and a great third. Panthers are just good. I could see them going back to the Cup finals. However, the refs deserve every once of malice thrown their way.

Edit to say that i did the GBU format just for you @Dubi Doo

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
The kicker for me was the holding penalty on Benson in the first. How can any rational person with decent vision look at that play and conclude Benson was holding? I'm not usually a conspiracy guy, but I just can't come up with the rationale for that one other than intentional incompetence.

Even the announcers had trouble with it.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Full disclosure - I missed the 1st period and stayed out of the GDT until now. I saw Benson's first phantom penalty on replay and couldn't believe he was called for a trip after being mugged in the 3rd (on the call which led to the 5-on-3).
Ryan Callahan is the perfect stooge to be on the ESPN NHL broadcasts. Happy to go along with the shit calls, got all the boring hockey clichés down, and the personality of a bottle of melatonin.
And a staccato delivery with an unpleasant cadence and timbre. Clearly, he was the lowest-cost option for ESPN.

Finally figured out why Ellis is still here. So Donnie can be the smartest guy in the room.
Well played.
Quit blaming the refs ... we were completely and utterly outclassed. Florida looks like they're in a different league than the Sabres when it comes to executing. We're complete and utter shit in clutch moments. They need to completely tear down this core and fire everyone.
"outclassed", yet the Sabres scored first and withstood (with UPL on the ramparts with the vats of boiling oil) the siege of the 2nd period, and fought back after being given one of the worst "hom job" refereeing clinics you'll ever see. The Sabres passing was poor, I will grant. Not sure that clutch moments is something tangible. I'd rather a team have those moments throughout the course of a game and not get into situations requiring them to "be clutch".
I love when you look around the NHL and see Sabres players Buffalo gave up on too early.

Hagel, Montour, Reinhart, Rodrigues

Montour was a beast tonight.
Montour and Reinhart did not want to extend their tenure in BUF. I'll give you the other two.
I don't know if I'm shitty at being a fan or a shitty person that happens to be a fan of a team that has missed the playoffs for a hundred years so am frustrated. Probably the latter. I'll go ahead and claim victimhood and then victim blame myself. That should cover all the bases,
Don't sell yourself short. You're both.

Reactions: HOOats

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
They gave an honest effort against an elite team. That's literally all they can do. You do understand there's not a "just win" button that they are declining to hit? They were that win away from the longest road win streak since 2006. This team is not giving up, even if its shitty fans are.
It doesn't matter how much lipstick you put on this pig, it's still just another moral victory in an endless morass of moral victories.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Full disclosure - I missed the 1st period and stayed out of the GDT until now. I saw Benson's first phantom penalty on replay and couldn't believe he was called for a trip after being mugged in the 3rd (on the call which led to the 5-on-3).

And a staccato delivery with an unpleasant cadence and timbre. Clearly, he was the lowest-cost option for ESPN.

Well played.

"outclassed", yet the Sabres scored first and withstood (with UPL on the ramparts with the vats of boiling oil) the siege of the 2nd period, and fought back after being given one of the worst "hom job" refereeing clinics you'll ever see. The Sabres passing was poor, I will grant. Not sure that clutch moments is something tangible. I'd rather a team have those moments throughout the course of a game and not get into situations requiring them to "be clutch".

Montour and Reinhart did not want to extend their tenure in BUF. I'll give you the other two.

Don't sell yourself short. You're both.

Actually its not true that Reinhart and Montour didn't want to extend and has been gone over.

At some point in their careers here they were willing to sign long term deals and all the information is out there and has been posted a few times.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Game Result Award:

1709157395714.png

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Actually its not true that Reinhart and Montour didn't want to extend and has been gone over.

At some point in their careers here they were willing to sign long term deals and all the information is out there and has been posted a few times.
Yes, my mistake. I agree Reinhart was willing to stay, but management wouldn't commit his final RFA year (or even the prior 2-year contract in lieu of a longer-term deal). As for Montour, my memory is fuzzy, but I accept your position.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Yes, my mistake. I agree Reinhart was willing to stay, but management wouldn't commit his final RFA year (or even the prior 2-year contract in lieu of a longer-term deal). As for Montour, my memory is fuzzy, but I accept your position.
Rino was willing to stay if we weren't going to go through another rebuild.

Reactions: Dingo44

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Yes. Do you know if that's Thomas John Luxmore or Michael Markovic?

I'd rather not pay attention to who our refs are nightly, but it might be necessary since they're rolling out a seemingly unending new crop of NPC refs schooled in game management and favorite-ism.
Sorry. No idea. The NHL has deliberately depersonalized the identities of the officials over the years. The notoriety of Hood, Frazier, Harris and Lewis has been replaced with guys who you wouldn't care if they wrote a book about their experiences.

Reactions: HOOats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad