Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Casey Mittelstadt signs extension (1 year, $874,125)

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
The king is back
tumblr_p9azq6PLpO1w4diwfo1_400.gif

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Worth mentioning the Sabres f***ed his development up about as badly as possible- rushed him into the NHL, left him there way too long when he clearly wasn’t ready, let his confidence take a hit, then finally sent him down 1.5 seasons in. Hopefully that’s the last embarrassingly bad move for awhile, hope it didn’t ruin Casey’s career. I’m not a huge fan, but he was there to save Housley’s and Bott’s jobs and.. a) didn’t work b) f*** them for trying to make that happen and screwing up a talented kid in the process.

Anyways, bit of a make or break year for him. I hope he has a fire under his ass and plenty of training, would be nice to see him come in with the confidence and play needed to succeed.

Reactions: Jamie Walker

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Worth mentioning the Sabres f***ed his development up about as badly as possible- rushed him into the NHL, left him there way too long when he clearly wasn’t ready, let his confidence take a hit, then finally sent him down 1.5 seasons in. Hopefully that’s the last embarrassingly bad move for awhile, hope it didn’t ruin Casey’s career. I’m not a huge fan, but he was there to save Housley’s and Bott’s jobs and.. a) didn’t work b) f*** them for trying to make that happen and screwing up a talented kid in the process.

Anyways, bit of a make or break year for him. I hope he has a fire under his ass and plenty of training, would be nice to see him come in with the confidence and play needed to succeed.

Who would've thunk that 30 in 34 in college wasn't a fast-track ticket into the NHL.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Who would've thunk that 30 in 34 in college wasn't a fast-track ticket into the NHL.

I worded that poorly- him starting with the Sabres wasn’t a problem, but he clearly wasn’t ready halfway through his first full season. We all saw it and felt he woulda benefited from time down with the Amerks, but management let him get his butt kicked for the rest of the season and the start of the next season before admitting the inevitable/obvious- and at that point playing over a full season above his head, ya, that’s a huge problem for his confidence and development. It wasn’t a bad risk originally, but failure to admit he wasn’t ready.. huge error.

Reactions: CanuckCity

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I'm not one to shit on a player for taking some joy out of their ELC contract, but hope he is motivated to work as youth is fleeting.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I worded that poorly- him starting with the Sabres wasn’t a problem, but he clearly wasn’t ready halfway through his first full season. We all saw it and felt he woulda benefited from time down with the Amerks, but management let him get his butt kicked for the rest of the season and the start of the next season before admitting the inevitable/obvious- and at that point playing over a full season above his head, ya, that’s a huge problem for his confidence and development. It wasn’t a bad risk originally, but failure to admit he wasn’t ready.. huge error.

on top of that....you had the pressure of the ROR trade fallout which might have been partially motivated by Mitts playing decent post college 7 game stint.

No, he famously could not do a pull-up at the combine. I bet he could have done one fully rested, though!

that is the unknown. Did he build up his body strength. If he improved this can go a long way. He might be given a chance to start the season before going to Rochester given the uncertainty around AHL playing. They might not start till early February so keeping him in buffalo even on taxi would be the smart thing to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad