GDT: BUF @ CAR 7pm TV:MSG Radio:WGR - Ugly RBA Szn

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Do I put Jokiharju in the Injury Report thread immediately or wait for the team to announce it?

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Not disappointed at all. Too bad UPL couldn't get a whistle at the end.

Replace VO and we win 2-1 in regulation.

Great effort and went toe to toe with one of the best in league. Sabres are back baby!
Gotta say I love the positivity Bob. It was a battle of a game against a Cup favorite that seemed motivated and was playing their home ice style that usually subdues lesser teams. I can see the growth, even if it isn't as linear and obvious as some might like.

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
It’s a point you get for ending regulation in a tie. The other team anlso gets one. What happens after is irrelevant for those 2 points. Also, yes to the pet peeve question (mostly because of people who whine about wanting to “get ride of the loser point”).
Ah gotcha... Well can't say that I've ever been one of those...Even when soneone like Florida had 19 of them years back... They earned the points by forcing a tie past regulation as far as I am concerned. I just use the term in in jest.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
UPL could have frozen it. They could have gone for a change if Tuch slowed down. Neither happened. Power is literally the last guy who could get off.
I have no prob with UPL playing it behind the net, problem is the exchange wasn't great and Carolina blew it up. Plus, we have been bad on faceoffs too. UPL stole them a point

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Gotta say I love the positivity Bob. It was a battle of a game against a Cup favorite that seemed motivated and was playing their home ice style that usually subdues lesser teams. I can see the growth, even if it isn't as linear and obvious as some might like.

If they play this way most nights, they will win more than they lose, especially against the folks who smother the neutral zone like the Isles and Canes.

Now... fix the PP units and this becomes a lot more interesting.

Bonus points for finding a way to have a fourth line that actually can play (or push the Gus-Jost-KO line down to 4th line status).

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I had him with 6 excellent saves on the night that on night's when he's off would've likely been in the net. No issue other than the non-freeze and that again could be a coaching thing -- their attempts to constantly try to generate scoring.
Meant more overall then just tonight. He played fine tonight but he’s a back up goalie at best in this league.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Meant more overall then just tonight. He played fine tonight but he’s a back up goalie at best in this league.

Eh, I'm looking at tonight. If he can bring this sort of effort on a more consistent basis and eliminate the WTF moments that have plagued some of his starts, he's at least a bog standard NHL goalie.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
They were gassed

Gassed because of inexplicable line usage through the game. I'm really pissed at Granato and Adams right now. OF COURSE WE LOST. Okie and Girgs with so much ice time promises that. Them being out there on PP2 with 3 minutes or so left guarantees it. 28 seconds left in a tie game and they're on the ice guarantees it.
WTF do we have sport science people whispering in the coaches ears if meatballs is going to ignore them? Or are they telling him Okie is good to go?
Total management failure here. First time in seven years we could have left with a win here. But for piss poor management. Heads should roll for the pp at the end of the game alone. Ya I'll take the point but I'm pissed with this one. And I haven't even started on VO!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Gassed because of inexplicable line usage through the game. I'm really pissed at Granato and Adams right now. OF COURSE WE LOST. Okie and Girgs with so much ice time promises that. Them being out there on PP2 with 3 minutes or so left guarantees it. 28 seconds left in a tie game and they're on the ice guarantees it.
WTF do we have sport science people whispering in the coaches ears if meatballs is going to ignore them? Or are they telling him Okie is good to go?
Total management failure here. First time in seven years we could have left with a win here. But for piss poor management. Heads should roll for the pp at the end of the game alone. Ya I'll take the point but I'm pissed with this one. And I haven't even started on VO!

It may also be that Vic is terrible, Krebs is struggling, and Rousek is new. They didn't play, Don had shortened the bench.

Edit - going back through the shift charts in the third period

Vic had 2 shifts (one on the PP) and only 50 seconds of ESTOI in the third period and that was with a bit over 2 minutes left in the game.
Rousek had 2 shifts for 1:05 in ESTOI, none in the last 13:47 of the game.
Krebs had 3 shifts, one at ES was 7 seconds. He too got on the ice between 3 and 2 minutes left.

Someone has to take the shifts and it's clear the coach did not trust that trio.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Bob and MOGlLNY

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
No...Tuch Mitts Power just got caught out for 90 seconds in overtime and didn't have the gas to defend.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
It may also be that Vic is terrible, Krebs is struggling, and Rousek is new. They didn't play, Don had shortened the bench.

Then that's on Adams for not giving Granato a capable lineup then. In a year where for me it's playoffs or bust. The retention of players Adams made is crap. Cost your job crap at the end of the season. You don't get next off season if there's no playoffs this season. Upgrades were possible and his choice was not to make them. Now ten, eleven twelve games into the season we're gassed? I am very pissed off about this. Everything relies on Levi being a stud for most of the games he plays in. Rousek? and doesn't play? I am not impressed with him anyway so...
Guys suck, guys are struggling... Coaching and player selection. Sport management gets a pass tonight? Why are they even here then. Hey Terry, save some money and lose the sports science people. Either they suck too or your coaches won't listen to them and that means they suck too

Again I'm happy for the point. But not the management lost us a point. Hell no.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
No...Tuch Mitts Power just got caught out for 90 seconds in overtime and didn't have the gas to defend.

Because of the usage of the players. I'm not buying they got stuck for 90 seconds. And if there was a balanced approach prior to that we could have, maybe, managed the load. I 'm not trying to be a dick but a coach could have yelled CHANGE! and rotated someone in. Bad bench management added to Donnie tonight. Who admittedly, can only go with the guys the GM gives him. Both of them cost us a point tonight. I'm sick of losing. Retaining Okie, Jost, Girgs, VO when there are so many more capable players available is hitting home right now. And we should be better than that. C'mon Kevin! Why is your coach having to shorten the bench SO MUCH?

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
If they play this way most nights, they will win more than they lose, especially against the folks who smother the neutral zone like the Isles and Canes.

Now... fix the PP units and this becomes a lot more interesting.

Bonus points for finding a way to have a fourth line that actually can play (or push the Gus-Jost-KO line down to 4th line status).
PP zone entry must be changed. Tage should not be carrying the puck. He hangs the puck out in front of his body daring opponents to take it away. And they do Its a near automatic give away. By comparison, Dahlin is so crafty and smart. He took what Canes gave him and used the bounce pass off the boards to himself, went in and scored. Raanta was caught flat footed and watching.

Reactions: Chainshot

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Because of the usage of the players. I'm not buying they got stuck for 90 seconds. And if there was a balanced approach prior to that we could have, maybe, managed the load. I 'm not trying to be a dick but a coach could have yelled CHANGE! and rotated someone in. Bad bench management added to Donnie tonight. Who admittedly, can only go with the guys the GM gives him. Both of them cost us a point tonight. I'm sick of losing. Retaining Okie, Jost, Girgs, VO when there are so many more capable players available is hitting home right now. And we should be better than that. C'mon Kevin! Why is your coach having to shorten the bench SO MUCH?
No, it was just they got stuck out on a long shift with a lot of ice to cover. It happens sometimes. Maybe we can hire Gordon Bombay to yell CHANGE more emphatically...

• Love
Reactions: beerme1

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
No, it was just they got stuck out on a long shift with a lot of ice to cover. It happens sometimes. Maybe we can hire Gordon Bombay to yell CHANGE more emphatically...
I'm thinking more John Taffer from Bar rescue But Bombay works as well. Or, sports science department in his his ear yelling CHANGE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad