Post-Game Talk: Buds shine in the sunshine state!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Since Keefe took over, they are 1st in the league for goals for/60 by a good margin but 25th for team save %.

For all of the whining about the D, all situations data is really interesting.

Since November 20th:

Expected Goals against/60: 2.57 (9th lowest in the league below both St. Louis and the Isles)

Goals against/60: 3.13 (24th lowest in the league)

I'm starting to feel a little embarrassed for the media that they have missed the boat so hard the massive switch the Leafs made this year to being a far better defensive team, especially since Keefe took over combined with Andersen really not playing well for large stretches. Our backups have been abysmal until Campbell too of course.

This is the first season in forever where injuries have played a huge part as well.

On the bright side, our team is so offensively dominant, we still have the 6th best record in the league since Keefe took over despite our goaltending being so awful.
It's been very interesting to see how much people struggle to separate defensive play from goaltending, even some that should know better. So much talk about how we hang Andersen out to dry, however we don't give up that much dangerous chances based on quantity and shot location. And if you look at micro stats from SportsLogIQ, they are pretty much around league average in most categories. The only thing that looked bad was deflections, which we gave up a lot of. But you're still dealing about very small samples there.

Andersen has really, really struggled, and it's the main reason why we give up a lot of goals and have to fight for a playoff spot.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
That was the most satisfying win of the season.
Hopefully, a huge morale booster that will help us get through the next few weeks with a depleted defence core.

Freddy needs to be better though. If I were Keefe, I would have him on a very short leash from here on in. Campbell has been more reliable since he's arrived.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Maybe Freddy can catch fire the next few months. We know he can. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to his peaks and valleys.

He's getting paid to be a consistent top 10 goaltender in this league. I'm getting tired of his peaks and valleys this season and in past playoff series.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Since Keefe took over, they are 1st in the league for goals for/60 by a good margin but 25th for team save %.

For all of the whining about the D, all situations data is really interesting.

Since November 20th:

Expected Goals against/60: 2.57 (9th lowest in the league below both St. Louis and the Isles)

Goals against/60: 3.13 (24th lowest in the league)

I'm starting to feel a little embarrassed for the media that they have missed the boat so hard the massive switch the Leafs made this year to being a far better defensive team, especially since Keefe took over combined with Andersen really not playing well for large stretches. Our backups have been abysmal until Campbell too of course.

This is the first season in forever where injuries have played a huge part as well.

On the bright side, our team is so offensively dominant, we still have the 6th best record in the league since Keefe took over despite our goaltending being so awful.

This post is the honest to God truth.

I keep telling every single person in my social circle that most of the Leafs issues have been poor goal-tending.

All of the metrics defensively have been just fine.

But the media does absolutely no research into making their arguments, and just like to fear monger because it's good for numbers.

Leafs fans also need to open up their eyes. Yes the Leafs give up high end chances, but if you're watching the game, you're seeing the other team do that as well, this is the NHL people...

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
That was the most satisfying win of the season.
Hopefully, a huge morale booster that will help us get through the next few weeks with a depleted defence core.

Freddy needs to be better though. If I were Keefe, I would have him on a very short leash from here on in. Campbell has been more reliable since he's arrived.
I was surprised that Keefe didn't pull Andersen after the 3rd goal on 6 shots. The first 2 goals weren't really his fault, but the 3rd I could have stopped. I'm glad that the Leafs didn't give up, it was a well deserved win and an important one.

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
This team aint making the playoffs if Andesieve is the starter. Team needs to put up min 4 goals to win if he is starting. Starting to get sick of Keefe and his love for this trash can backup goalie when he has way better goalie in Campbell on the bench. smh

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Matthews line dummy them tonight. Our injured and battered dcore shut down Barkov line completely.

I'm quite positive Barkov is playing injured, like how Rielly was. There's no way that was him at his best, he's way too good. I don't care who you throw at him. He'll probably open up about whatever it is at the end of the year, but clearly he was not his regular self.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I was surprised that Keefe didn't pull Andersen after the 3rd goal on 6 shots. The first 2 goals weren't really his fault, but the 3rd I could have stopped. I'm glad that the Leafs didn't give up, it was a well deserved win and an important one.
I didn't like the 2nd goal either.
Had that wrap around gone in he would have been pulled and who knows what the affect of that would be.
Thankfully all is good today.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

I was literally yelling at the TV for Keefe to pull Andersen after the 3rd goal. We dodged a bullet because it easily could have been 4-1 moments later on another soft wraparound goal.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Hopefully that put the final nail in the Florida coffin.
We just need to take care of our own business and get healthy for the playoffs.

Florida comes to town March 23rd (5th last game) I expect this battle to continue til the very end of the season

Reactions: willmma

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
This team aint making the playoffs if Andesieve is the starter. Team needs to put up min 4 goals to win if he is starting. Starting to get sick of Keefe and his love for this trash can backup goalie when he has way better goalie in Campbell on the bench. smh

Keefe just doesn't want to start a controversy, but at some point, enough is enough. The team comes first.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

I don't think Keefe loves Andersen as much as you think.

I definitely think there has been tension between them, it was a bit more evident when Keefe first got here.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I'm quite positive Barkov is playing injured, like how Rielly was. There's no way that was him at his best, he's way too good. I don't care who you throw at him. He'll probably open up about whatever it is at the end of the year, but clearly he was not his regular self.
That Shea Weber collision Feb 1st looked like a hip injury to me. Anyway, crap news for Panthers but we have our own injuries to worry about. screw them, screw Barkov.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Andersen let in 2 bad ones, but I have to admit, he did make some nice saves too.

Florida has 10 HDCF (all situations) and an expected goals of 1.73 - so this tells me he let him 1 bad one, but 2 GA is reasonable.

Leafs had expected goals of 3.4.

Reactions: Gallagbi and kb

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This is why the NHL is such a joke at times.

The Leafs absolutely dominate the 2nd period, Florida had nothing, yet the team had zero PPs, you're telling me Florida played a "clean" period by chasing the game the entire period? Bull****

Also, I was certain that Andersen would let in a stinker after we were dominating.

Put the shoe on the other foot.

Leafs deal with so many BS soft calls when they go up by 2+ goals. Gets sickening to watch sometimes.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Andersen on the second goal attempted to close his 5 hole out of fear. He half closed it and then saw it go on the outside.

It was a good shot but WOW. Thats just bad.

Freddy has some mental issues and is shaky.

We really need to ride Campbell soon

Truth is if he can get hot and have rest with Campbell and we have a solid tandem going into the playoffs.

Im a happy camper. I can just see Boston or Tampa lighting up Freddy. And we ride Campbells Hot hand until he loses

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Say whatever you want man. He laced em up. Matty took his lunch. Facts are facts.

Reactions: kb

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

I keep telling every single person in my social circle that most of the Leafs issues have been poor goal-tending.

But the media does absolutely no research into making their arguments, and just like to fear monger because it's good for numbers.

Leafs fans also need to open up their eyes. Yes the Leafs give up high end chances, but if you're watching the game, you're seeing the other team do that as well, this is the NHL people...

You would figure they would just go by save % on the year to figure out Andersen has been playing poorly.

Out of the 58 keepers that have played 1000 minutes, his .906 ranks 40th (just behind Bernier)

Out of the 21 keepers that have played 2000 minutes, his .906 ranks 15th (again, just behind Bernier)

He finally made it onto an all star team and its the year hes least deserving. He's been statistically below average this year.

Maybe once we incorporate high danger chances etc.? How does his GSAA/60 look? He's currently at -0.10 goals/60

He drops to 41st out of 58 league wide (1000 minutes min)

The previous 2 years combined he was .917% and + .22. It may not seem like much but its a massive drop.

Maybe its his crazy workload?

3 keepers have played more minutes and have save% of .910, .920 and .914 respectively.

Freddy is a media favorite really even though he hasnt been a top 5 keeper in a year or so and its really hard for them to switch gears I think......and yet I still have faith in the guy. He just needs to get hot for the playoffs and all is forgiven.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

Just to throw some more fuel on this truth fire:

Toronto xGA - 18th
Toronto xGF - 4th

That's with injuries, multiple players having slump years, and some questionable roster decisions by the GM.

With those metrics, you would expect the team to be about 7th or so in the standings.

I still haven't regained confidence in Dubas yet, that Carolina game was scarring, but I do think the main board opinion of the team's demise and complete lack of defence goes overboard! Bad goaltending sunk us, we legit had the worst tandem in the league for 3/4s of the season.

Last edited:

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Lose to a beer league goalie.. less than a week later 2 game sweep of Florida with AHL dmen and Dermott the only Dman that we had from last year full-time.

Reactions: Merrrlin

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You would figure they would just go by save % on the year to figure out Andersen has been playing poorly.

Out of the 58 keepers that have played 1000 minutes, his .906 ranks 40th (just behind Bernier)

Out of the 21 keepers that have played 2000 minutes, his .906 ranks 15th (again, just behind Bernier)

He finally made it onto an all star team and its the year hes least deserving. He's been statistically below average this year.

Maybe once we incorporate high danger chances etc.? How does his GSAA/60 look? He's currently at -0.10 goals/60

He drops to 41st out of 58 league wide (1000 minutes min)

The previous 2 years combined he was .917% and + .22. It may not seem like much but its a massive drop.

Maybe its his crazy workload?

3 keepers have played more minutes and have save% of .910, .920 and .914 respectively.

Freddy is a media favorite really even though he hasnt been a top 5 keeper in a year or so and its really hard for them to switch gears I think......and yet I still have faith in the guy. He just needs to get hot for the playoffs and all is forgiven.

lol it's clicks over everything. You don't make money in the media with integrity and honesty.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Dont buy into the whole Zamboni driver thing. Its a nice story for him and all but it had far less to do with him than the Hurricanes playing a great period to keep him safe. Its why they dont show any of his "great saves" in highlight packages and whatnot.

If it makes other teams fanbases underestimate us or low information fans/casuals lose their minds, who cares really. The team followed up with the Florida sweep beating the best team in hockey at home for the first time since mid Dec. and avenging the losses against the Panthers.

The Hurricanes were going to win that game no matter what happened as the Leafs just didnt have it that night. Whats the hardest shot he faced in the third? Hyman hitting him in the crest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad