Budaj or Tokarski? What will MB do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
If Price gets hurt, we are never winning the cup with Tokarski in net.

If Tokarski gets claimed, we are never losing a stanley cup winning goalie.

Steve Penny showed more upide than Tokes.

I don't care if the coaches picked Tokes over Budaj. We are never winning the cup without Price. So building your team based on if Price gets hurts, is a losing attitude. Plain and simple.iTs never going to happen.

also cap hit is irrelevant.

we had less room last year and still had enough room to get the best rental.

we have 3 times as much this year, we could trade for the 1st line of a really good western conference team at the deadline with all of our cap space.

All those arguments are against Tokarski, but I see no actual arguments in favor of Budaj in your post.

All your post means is that it doesn't matter who is the back up of Price.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

I don't care if the coaches picked Tokes over Budaj. We are never winning the cup without Price. So building your team based on if Price gets hurts, is a losing attitude. Plain and simple.iTs never going to happen.

we have 3 times as much this year, we could trade for the 1st line of a really good western conference team at the deadline with all of our cap space.

If Price gets hurt...who do you think will be able to do a better job keeping us in the playoff run over the string of say 15-20 games? Who would give us a better chance of getting passed a playoff round until Price returns? Be honest now...and you can only pick one.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Building a team on if Price gets hurt? What are you even talking about? We need a goalie who can start more then one game in a row. Budaj can't. Tokarski is to small IMO but he's a better option than Budaj at this point.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I think it comes down to the fact Tokarski has a much higher upside then Budaj and the fact that Tokarski has a much lower cap hit makes it even more beneficial to keep him instead.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'd waive Budaj, trade Tokarski if a taker can be found and sign Brodeur for the one season.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Nobodys claiming Budaj right now, gives us some decent insurance in Hamilton if something happens to Price or Tokarski and saves us some cap space

Ned doesn't belong in the NHL right now and has zero trade value

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Option A) Hope Budaj can make it to Hamilton without getting picked up
Option B) Maybe trade him to Winnipeg/Another team in need?

Depth is important but we probably could get an asset back for St.Peter

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
This team needs to be consequent. They send a kid in the playoffs because they have no confidence in their 2nd goalie. They talk about how the power has shifted and the kids are ready to take charge. But even in that case, at one point, Price isn't a kid anymore. Been in this league for quite a while now, and while he's not old and near retirement, he's not a rookie either. He's capable of being "the vet" in goal. And t hen you go on and say that Tokarski might not be perfect but he's a gamer and yet.....you wouldn't keep him?

Keeping Budaj and sending Tokarski to waivers would just put a big question mark on that administration. Not because it's the end of the world if it happens....but 'cause it would still be supported by a damn stupid thought process....

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If there is one player who gets snagged on the waiver wire it will be Tokarski. He proved to the entire league that he could play on the biggest stage and do darn well. No way he sneaks through.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Tokarski has shown he's a capable goalie in pressure games throughout his career, that fact and his consistency of play in the AHL the last few yrs. should warrant a good long look in the regular season. Whether or not he's ready to step in as #1 if Carey gets injured is the real question on the minds of Bergevin, Waite and the evaluating team. In this era of NHL parity, the loss of a team's #1 goalie for any length of time can mean the loss of the season. (Playoff's being the #1 concern)

Fucale isn't any where near being ready for a backup job, Budaj has shown he can win in a backup role, but he certainly can't cope with #1 minutes. Leaving Tokarski as our best option at backup, my hope is that Price stays healthy, Tokarski gets some early games and plays 1 game in every 5-6. This will give him confidence, alleviate teammates concerns and let the team concentrate on playing their system, all win/win if Tokarski gets some easy wins early, IMHO.:nod:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I

Nobodys claiming Budaj right now, gives us some decent insurance in Hamilton if something happens to Price or Tokarski and saves us some cap space

Ned doesn't belong in the NHL right now and has zero trade value

Phoenix has dubnyk as a backup.
New jersey has clemmenson on a two way contract.

I could see one of them claiming tokarski

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Phoenix has dubnyk as a backup.
New jersey has clemmenson on a two way contract.

I could see one of them claiming tokarski

And then we'll just claim Clemmenson or Dubnyk? Or sign some other backup for Hamilton. We already have MacDonald who I thought was better than Budaj & Tokarski. What is the problem really?

Both Budaj & Tokarski are worth zit on the market.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Doubt Tokarski clears waivers with teams like Winnipeg, New Jersey, and Arizona having less than average backup goaltenders and obviously looking to improve. Tokarski is younger, and gives the Habs a better chance to win than Budaj on any given night. In the end, MB will do whatever it takes to make the team better, and keeping Budaj over Tokarski goes against that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad