Budaj or Tokarski? What will MB do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Tokarski. He'll be picked up on waivers if he's sent down. I think that decision was made last year in the playoffs.

I agree, decision was made last year... Logically Tokarski is cheaper, one more year of contract (so no decision to be made next year) he will give you the same result as Budaj but the difference is that he might be able to step up if Price when down Budaj plays is at is worst when he as the be #1.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Tinordi, Tokarski, Bourque for Byfuglien. B ONG.

Throw in DD and Eller and give us Bogosian too.

Trader Marc tabarsweat

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher
Sekac-Galchenyuk-Byfuglien
Weise-Bournival-Parenteau
Moen-Malhotra-Prust

Emelin-PK
Markov-Bogosian
Beaulieu-Gilbert
Weaver

Price
Budaj

Ok, a bit thin maybe...

Might as well add PK and Price in that equation, if I were to follow your logic.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
To me the answer is still Budaj. He is perfect in the role of 2nd. Hes a great teammate and a guy that everone in the team seem to enjoy (lots of bonding). Tokarski doesn't have as much experience and is probably more liable on long stretches and he is far from being a leader (less bonding).

68*

For me it's Tokarski and it's not even close. Budaj is the kind of guy that will get decent stats in the regular season with no pressure but when Price is hurt and the pressure is on him to do to the job in the playoffs he will absolutely **** the bed with 5 beach balls goals allowed on 20 shots. Budaj: great teammate, great person but terrible goalie when it matters.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
For me it's Tokarski and it's not even close. Budaj is the kind of guy that will get decent stats in the regular season with no pressure but when Price is hurt and the pressure is on him to do to the job in the playoffs he will absolutely **** the bed with 5 beach balls goals allowed on 20 shots. Budaj: great teammate, great person but terrible goalie when it matters.

I think we don't even have enough data on Budaj to come to such strong conclusions. The guy played just a few games in the last couple years. It's hard to conclude on his worth in other conditions, IMO.

And we have even data on Toks.

Not saying it's an easy decision, but my guess is that they're gonna wait and put Toks on waivers when the time comes.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
To me the answer is still Budaj. He is perfect in the role of 2nd. Hes a great teammate and a guy that everone in the team seem to enjoy (lots of bonding). Tokarski doesn't have as much experience and is probably more liable on long stretches and he is far from being a leader (less bonding).

Last 3 seasons ended with Price on the sidelines, no interest in a nice guy perfect in the role of 2nd that people enjoy, want someone who can win - or give them a chance to win

Budaj will be on waivers pretty soon

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
budajcampaignbutton5ki9.png

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Not sold on Tokarski. Budaj had a great season last year and he looks buddy-buddy with Price. They're a great tandem.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Tokarski. Case closed. We need a backup coaches trust more in case of injury. You never know.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I think you still have to be right in tune with what's up in the other NHL team camps to be able to make the decision. I'm not following closely enough and don't have the requisite connections.

One bottom line for me is that I want to retain Tokarski. All things being equal, I'd pick Budaj as backup for this season, and Tokarski as my backup for next season. But to get away with that, I have to know what the real risks are of losing Tokarski on waivers if I send him down. I would normally not expect him to be claimed. But I'd really have to know what's going on around the league a little better than I've had the time to. It's Bergevin's full-time job, so I expect him to know. Then the decision becomes easy.

If you KNOW/are 99% sure Tokarski will clear waivers, send him down.

If you believe there's a real chance he gets claimed, keep him up.

It's about as simple as that, and I just don't think any of us would be in a good enough position to judge the odds on him clearing. There are a lot of goalies kicking around, so my default expectation is that he would clear, but I'm not following injuries, all the pre-season game action, etc. You'd really have to do your homework and have a lot of connections to be able to really make an informed decision.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Send Budaj down. If Price gets hurt at all, we would need Tokarski.

He is simply the better goalie.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If it's a test of goaltending only then Tokarski wins. It's not even close.

100% accurate post. Tokarski is a much better goalie, hence why MT went with him instead of the #2 man.
Budaj's only saving grace is his team first concept, very loyal teammate etc.

Blood On The Ice

Jul 17, 2007
Montreal
I think you still have to be right in tune with what's up in the other NHL team camps to be able to make the decision. I'm not following closely enough and don't have the requisite connections.

One bottom line for me is that I want to retain Tokarski. All things being equal, I'd pick Budaj as backup for this season, and Tokarski as my backup for next season. But to get away with that, I have to know what the real risks are of losing Tokarski on waivers if I send him down. I would normally not expect him to be claimed. But I'd really have to know what's going on around the league a little better than I've had the time to. It's Bergevin's full-time job, so I expect him to know. Then the decision becomes easy.

If you KNOW/are 99% sure Tokarski will clear waivers, send him down.

If you believe there's a real chance he gets claimed, keep him up.
It's about as simple as that, and I just don't think any of us would be in a good enough position to judge the odds on him clearing. There are a lot of goalies kicking around, so my default expectation is that he would clear, but I'm not following injuries, all the pre-season game action, etc. You'd really have to do your homework and have a lot of connections to be able to really make an informed decision.

I think the same. Simple as that.

Évaluation de risques

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
If Markstrom passed through waivers, and he is a younger, bigger goalie with higher upside than Tokarski, why would Tokarski not pass?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
If Markstrom passed through waivers, and he is a younger, bigger goalie with higher upside than Tokarski, why would Tokarski not pass?

I'll play devil's advocate...Tokarski may not pass because he's been a much better NHL goaltender than Markstrom and has a better contract...1.2 mil cap hit vs 562 k.

Most teams don't have room for another NHL goalie, and those that do want a guy they can pretty safely assume can help them NOW. Winnipeg is an example, they don't want a prospect, they want a guy that can push Pavelec and maybe steal the #1 job.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I'll play devil's advocate...Tokarski may not pass because he's been a much better NHL goaltender than Markstrom and has a better contract...1.2 mil cap hit vs 562 k.

Most teams don't have room for another NHL goalie, and those that do want a guy they can pretty safely assume can help them NOW. Winnipeg is an example, they don't want a prospect, they want a guy that can push Pavelec and maybe steal the #1 job.
This. Plus Markstrom went a week earlier... now some teams might have an injury, or they might have seen their current backup look a little shakier in a couple extra pre-season games and be getting a little more nervous than they were.

I would still normally think that Tokarski would clear. But again, I haven't been following other teams' camps very closely this year, so I'm not really sure. Every team opened camp thinking they had their goaltending set. But maybe a few are changing their opinions as time goes by.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
If Price gets hurt, we are never winning the cup with Tokarski in net.

If Tokarski gets claimed, we are never losing a stanley cup winning goalie.

Steve Penny showed more upide than Tokes.

I don't care if the coaches picked Tokes over Budaj. We are never winning the cup without Price. So building your team based on if Price gets hurts, is a losing attitude. Plain and simple.iTs never going to happen.

also cap hit is irrelevant.

we had less room last year and still had enough room to get the best rental.

we have 3 times as much this year, we could trade for the 1st line of a really good western conference team at the deadline with all of our cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad