Budaj or Tokarski? What will MB do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
And then we'll just claim Clemmenson or Dubnyk? Or sign some other backup for Hamilton. We already have MacDonald who I thought was better than Budaj & Tokarski. What is the problem really?

Both Budaj & Tokarski are worth zit on the market.

Why wouldn't we want to keep Tokarski as our backup.

He is the best of those 4 goalies, and also has the lowest caphit.

Let Budaj/MacDonald/Condon fight for ice time in Hamilton/Wheeling.

Mag1328

Aug 9, 2006
Doubt Tokarski clears waivers with teams like Winnipeg, New Jersey, and Arizona having less than average backup goaltenders and obviously looking to improve.

I was told Winnipeg would stay put to start the season.
New Jersey not only has a known quantity in Clemmensen, but they think they've finally been able to develop an NHL goalie in Kinkaid who's knocking at the door. They won't seek outside help.

The thing with Budaj and Tokarski is that you can't really take last year's playoffs as the main measuring stick. Putting Tokarski out there instead of Budaj was the coach decision. He can play whoever he wants among the players he's given. But sending a guy down is Bergevin decision.

Who's to say they see eye-to-eye on this issue ?

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Easiest decision of camp. Gotta be Tokarski. Better from every perspective other than NHL experience, and the other facets outweigh that aspect. Budaj down.

Not saying I disagree with who you keep...But definitely can't agree that it's the easiest decision. I'd say it's probably one of the toughest ones.

Tarasenko

Unregistered User
Oct 11, 2011
He will keep Budaj with Tokarski being the #1 for the Bulldogs. He will clear waivers.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
I was told Winnipeg would stay put to start the season.
New Jersey not only has a known quantity in Clemmensen, but they think they've finally been able to develop an NHL goalie in Kinkaid who's knocking at the door. They won't seek outside help.

The thing with Budaj and Tokarski is that you can't really take last year's playoffs as the main measuring stick. Putting Tokarski out there instead of Budaj was the coach decision. He can play whoever he wants among the players he's given. But sending a guy down is Bergevin decision.

Who's to say they see eye-to-eye on this issue ?

I agree Mag.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Keep Tokarski, send Budaj to Hamilton.

If Budaj doesn't clear waivers, we gain cap space. If he does, it will be nice to have him in Hamilton in case Tokarski can't handle playing so sporadically.

Actually, it is: Keep Tokarski, send Budaj to Hamilton.

If Budaj doesn't get taken, we gain $362,500 in cap space. If he does get snapped up, we gain $837,500. And either way, we have the better goalie on the NHL team.

It makes no sense to risk losing Tokarski to waivers, even if the risk is only 20-25%.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Actually, it is: Keep Tokarski, send Budaj to Hamilton.

If Budaj doesn't get taken, we gain $362,500 in cap space. If he does get snapped up, we gain $837,500. And either way, we have the better goalie on the NHL team.

It makes no sense to risk losing Tokarski to waivers, even if the risk is only 20-25%.

Tokarski/Budaj, makes no difference, both are backups and neither one is clearly better than the other. I prefer Budaj actually, but after the playoffs, I thought this thing was all but over, but nope, Budaj takes it in stride, awesome teammate and very supportive of Price. Tokarski is ahl/backup goalie and nothing more.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Tokarski/Budaj, makes no difference, both are backups and neither one is clearly better than the other. I prefer Budaj actually, but after the playoffs, I thought this thing was all but over, but nope, Budaj takes it in stride, awesome teammate and very supportive of Price. Tokarski is ahl/backup goalie and nothing more.

This. I'd like to add that either will clear waivers without even a sniff from the rest of the league, and guaranteed we've already spent way too much time talking about this.

The interest garnered for AHL/Backup goalies is non existent, teams trade or pick up players when they can clearly upgrade something. These guys aren't upgrades .

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think Tokarski will give us 2 years of very good backup, with Waite everyday he may go to something more. There's that chance, he has accomplished at every level so far in career. I don't buy the size thing against him as he is same size as a Tim Thomas, only 1" shorter than a Bernier. Not like he is Halak small. If Price goes down long term Tokarski should play well. Possibility netting us a good trade return in 2 years when Condon or Fucale is ready

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Hey, I was completely wrong on that one. I really thought they'd keep Budaj and risk sending down Toks.

For my defence, we didn't knew that Budaj asked for a trade. And I say he was a real class act throughout the whole process. Was probably not easy for him to be sidelined.

Anyways, good move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad