Bud Lynch

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
No. It is his. But he didn't say it "last minute of play....In this period!" as he does on the recording. It reminds me of the bit he did with Mickey York on FSD where he played game show announcer. Listen to an old game and compare his inflections. They aren't the same at all. My guess is they recorded this near the end of his life and told him how to say it. But at the Joe, he was saying it on his own. The two styles are different.

I think you are way overthinking it.

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
I think you are way overthinking it.

I'm sure I am but as a voiceover traditionalist, I look for things like that. Voice overs and PA announcers have changed from being understated and straight to the point to being enthusiastic and sometimes flat out screaming. Budd was one of the last using the more traditional style and it's something he took great pride in.

I had the privilege to sit next to Budd's wife at the Joe and they used to graciously give me the press notes. You won't meet better people than them. Airing his voice is a great tribute to someone who was beloved by many Detroiters. People may forget it now, but he wasn't a shabby broadcaster either.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
I know everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I can't see how anybody would dislike this enough to actively complain about it. Love hearing it when I go to the games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad