Bud Lynch

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
I really think its pretty tacky for the the Red Wings to play "one minute to play" recording. Just honor him by building a statue or naming something after him in the arena. To keep on playing this 2 years after his death every game is ridiculous. The Red Wings PR needs to wake the hell up.

crashman

I don't find it tacky. I actually hope they carry it over to the new arena.

I do see it as a missed opportunity that they didn't record him saying:

"Last Minute to play in the 1st period", "Last minute to play in the 2nd period" and same for 3rd and OT. They should have recorded him saying it for up to 10 OT periods, just in case!

Last edited by a moderator:

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I don't mind it at all. Actually, what I find tacky are the teams who employ those Michael Buffer wannabes who announce the period ending as though their team just scored a goal.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I think it's great. He was the voice of the Red Wings for a long time, no better way to honor the voice than to hear his voice every game.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
I don't see the Lakers doing it with Chick Hearn or the Tigers with Ernie Harwell. The man was a legend but hearing a dead person's voice during every game is creepy.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I don't see the Lakers doing it with Chick Hearn or the Tigers with Ernie Harwell. The man was a legend but hearing a dead person's voice during every game is creepy.

So just because they don't do it we shouldn't have a single clip?

How would the Lakers or Tigers do it anyway? They don't have the "1 minute left" warning like in hockey as far as I know.

I think you are being ridiculous.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sigh.... I think it is great, tacky is certainly not how I would describe this at all.

Only thing that bothers me is this was an idea lifted off the Yankees.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Sigh.... I think it is great, tacky is certainly not how I would describe this at all.

Only thing that bothers me is this was an idea lifted off the Yankees.

Jeter requested his personal Bob Sheppard's PA announcement up to the end of his career...it wasn't done by the entire Yankee team.

Personally, I think it's a nice tribute to Lynch. If they stopped tomorrow, I wouldn't be bothered though.

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
Yeah, kind of an odd drawing of the line--what makes a visual tribute any less "creepy" or "tacky" than an audio one? Does this mean for example Beatles lovers have to put away their Beatles albums, never to listen to them again, because there's a dead man's voice singing on them? Do we go back through Robin Williams' filmography and mute all his speaking parts?

Not without sympathy for the OP are these questions posed, hearing the voice of the dead being a profoundly recurring motif throughout human history. And yet only in relatively recent times has technology afforded us this ability that has in prospect haunted our many myths and literatures, since the moment we began to construct them. Maybe that the voice itself, our ability to manipulate air and across those unseens waves place into the minds of others our own thoughts, desires, needs, fears, is such a terrifying product of consciousness, that the thought of the dead, or at least their voices, coming back through the door we dare not open and bestowing upon us sound bites of the forbidden, serpentine fruit, would cast us out of what ever little semblance of Eden we've held fast to in our blissful ignorance of whatever lies beyond. The possibility would certainly carry with it a potent distillation of the unease that comes with the "gift" of walking around with the voices of the living constantly invading and reshaping our identities. Of course in this particular case, "one minute left" could be seen as an ominous reminder of the great play clock ticking down the seconds of our own mortality. Or more optimistically, simply an urging to play out the rest of our lives as if that's all we had left. Either way, one could be forgiven for their unease in this respect.

To the question of its tackiness though, certainly there's a point where it could be, for instance, selling it as a 99 cent ringtone, or Bud Lynch talking bobble-head night--but this isn't even close to crossing that line. In fact, there really isn't a better tribute to a man most of us only knew through his voice. I couldn't tell you what Bud Lynch looked like, could never have pointed him out on the street. But his voice was unique and recognizable, and after so many years part of the architecture and atmosphere of the Joe; it should remain so to the end, and if they wanted to continue onto the new building, I would have no argument.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Here's my thought process on it.

It's like retiring his jersey, if he'd had one. The man was such a tradition and a part of the Wings that now we have made him a potentially permanent part of the franchise. I just can't find that tacky. To me it's a huge honor and a statement about how highly people thought of him.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
I think its great, Creeped me out the first time I heard it after his death.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I think its fantastic, I was worried they were only going to do it for the season after he passed. Im glad they keep playing it.

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
My only problem with it is that it sounds so scripted. Budd never said it that way. It was a simple statement. This recording features inflections that Budd didn't use during a regular end of period announcement. It sounds like he's calling a Red Wings goal more than signifying the last minute of play.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
My only problem with it is that it sounds so scripted. Budd never said it that way. It was a simple statement. This recording features inflections that Budd didn't use during a regular end of period announcement. It sounds like he's calling a Red Wings goal more than signifying the last minute of play.

Are you saying that the voice isn't his, then? Or that it was manipulated? Because I remember him saying it like that plenty of times.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
I couldn't disagree more. I think it's a great way to honor him and must be for his family as well. To have owners think so highly of him as a person to want to keep his voice alive after this much time goes to show how they respected him and their loyalty.

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
Are you saying that the voice isn't his, then? Or that it was manipulated? Because I remember him saying it like that plenty of times.

No. It is his. But he didn't say it "last minute of play....In this period!" as he does on the recording. It reminds me of the bit he did with Mickey York on FSD where he played game show announcer. Listen to an old game and compare his inflections. They aren't the same at all. My guess is they recorded this near the end of his life and told him how to say it. But at the Joe, he was saying it on his own. The two styles are different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad