TBN: Bucky Gleason: The Pegulas May Be in Over Their Heads

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
- Does he provide his teams the resources they need, financial or otherwise? The answer so far appears to be yes.
- Does he acknowledge mistakes and take steps to avoid repeats? That answer again appears to be yes.
I also agree with this.

My 'criticism' of Pegula is weak, at best. Overall, he's an improvement at owner, certainly over the joke show Ralph Wilson ran.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Sports Owners generally don't have success right away unless there are already superstar players in place. Something neither the Bills nor Sabres had.

I believe there are a few critical things an owner should have in order to become a successful owner.

1. Patience
2. Willingness to correct mistakes when they become apparent
3. Ability to learn from those mistakes
4. Willingness to commit resources

I think Pegula has all of that. The biggest one in question would be #3.

While there have been missteps, positive things have come from those missteps and corrective action was taken.

- Hiring LaFontaine appears to have been a misstep, but Tim Murray came out of that debacle.
- Not firing Regier sooner appears to have been a misstep, but Regier started the rebuild. He was able to acquire some critical assets the team ended up needing and using for the rebuild. The one thing he was best at.
- Hiring Rex Ryan may end up being a misstep. But it's easy to justify the move. He had previous success with talent on defense and a young quarterback.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
- Hiring Rex Ryan may end up being a misstep. But it's easy to justify the move. He had previous success with talent on defense and a young quarterback.

This hiring didn't make sense to me. They already had a very good defense and a struggling offense. Why get a guy who isn't good at offense, and will implement a new defense that isn't quite as suited to the personnel as the current defense? Aside from that, Ryan proved he just wasn't that good/successful. His rep just hadn't fallen off a cliff yet and he still had some marketing power. He was a shiny red button that activated the garbage chute, instead of pushing the worn out gray button that activated the power boost.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I don't begrudge Pegula for burning his hand on the stove as long as he learns from it. The Ryan hire makes me a bit pessimistic but who knows eh

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I also agree with this.

My 'criticism' of Pegula is weak, at best. Overall, he's an improvement at owner, certainly over the joke show Ralph Wilson ran.

That's not exactly hard to do. Though I disagree with that first part. Outside of finances the resources could be argued. To me "state of the art" facilities aren't exactly resources that have anything to do with in game results.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Sports Owners generally don't have success right away unless there are already superstar players in place. Something neither the Bills nor Sabres had.

I believe there are a few critical things an owner should have in order to become a successful owner.

1. Patience

While there have been missteps, positive things have come from those missteps and corrective action was taken.

- Hiring LaFontaine appears to have been a misstep, but Tim Murray came out of that debacle.
- Not firing Regier sooner appears to have been a misstep, but Regier started the rebuild. He was able to acquire some critical assets the team ended up needing and using for the rebuild. The one thing he was best at.

Don't do hockey but #2 and #3 to me are kind of hand in hand and I'd say he's done neither involving the bills. Granted I know some would say its the first full year but at the same time I don't know who would be bummed if Wrecks got a pink slip.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
This hiring didn't make sense to me. They already had a very good defense and a struggling offense. Why get a guy who isn't good at offense, and will implement a new defense that isn't quite as suited to the personnel as the current defense? Aside from that, Ryan proved he just wasn't that good/successful. His rep just hadn't fallen off a cliff yet and he still had some marketing power. He was a shiny red button that activated the garbage chute, instead of pushing the worn out gray button that activated the power boost.

I agree. I don't like him one bit bit hell I'd be all for Skipper Kelly there if a mind was changed about the coaching situation. However it looks like their strength(the Dline)may have some changes coming so they may have a lot of work to do on the defense. So it is a bit tough right now. I think the offense has improved BUT TT is the biggest reason for that. I don't love Roman's system but they have pieces to be successful. They've had the 12th best offense this year.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The entire concept that a hockey franchise holding 3 young players like Eichel, Risto and Reinhart (and RoR locked in until 2023 to boot) coming from the roster they had just 2 years ago is "heading nowhere" is unbelievably stupid. Bucky...is stupid.

Once he learned he couldn't just buy the players and he decided to green light blowing the entire broken thing up...that's real leadership.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I think as of now the Sabres are progressing and the Bills remain stagnant. The QB situation is the problem in Buffalo. Personally, the GM of the Bills needs to go.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Don't do hockey but #2 and #3 to me are kind of hand in hand and I'd say he's done neither involving the bills. Granted I know some would say its the first full year but at the same time I don't know who would be bummed if Wrecks got a pink slip.

Yes, because changing entire coaching staffs and philosophies annually is a proven path to success.

/boggle

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

1. Patience

I don't quite understand the vitrol aimed at the Pegula's from TBN. Most sports teams owners are silent 99% of the season, coming to speak when a major management change happens (such as the firing of Regier or hiring of Ryan) and at charity events/building openings. You don't see NY writers calling out the Checkett's or Philly's writers calling out Ed Snider? Yet TBN feels the need to call out the Pegula's (or just insult them) every few months.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I don't quite understand the vitrol aimed at the Pegula's from TBN. Most sports teams owners are silent 99% of the season, coming to speak when a major management change happens (such as the firing of Regier or hiring of Ryan) and at charity events/building openings. You don't see NY writers calling out the Checkett's or Philly's writers calling out Ed Snider? Yet TBN feels the need to call out the Pegula's (or just insult them) every few months.

Which is part of the reason I laugh at TBN for their attempted journalism.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover

Sucky & Bully and Harrington like to cater to the Ride 'Em Out on a Rail/Tar and Feather/The Sky is Falling crowd. :shakehead Haul 'em all out and hold 'em accountable!!!! :rant:

There is a certain component of their demographic to which this mentality appeals. Part of their shtick is to put down directly or indirectly anyone in authority and have you believe that despite the status ownership or management have achieved through their own hard work and personal success - they are idiots and any one of Sucky, Bully or Harrington - or us - given the chance - could do better. :shakehead I'm guessing that the casual fans who hear that the Sabres got Eichel, look at the standings, and still see them near the bottom might be part of the audience as well.

Reasonable fans can see what is happening and judge for themselves.

The three clowns I referenced are also PO'd that Pegula has not played their game and succumbed to their demands for an audience so they can hold him accountable and ask the "tough questions". :rant: Again - all part of their shtick and attempt to appeal to "everyman" :help:

Last edited:

CupWanted

Memories of better days
Mar 4, 2008
Pegula has yet to prove he can field/ice a team anywhere near being competitive for the last playoff spot.
Proof is In the pudding.

Pegula or any other owner, is not responsible for putting together a competitive team. They pay very smart people with MBAs millions of dollars to do that. If you don't like the competitiveness of Bills and Sabres you should blame Doug Whaley and Tim Murray.

Now I'm a long time patriots fan so I'm not going to judge Pegula on the bills but as a Sabres fan I love Pegula. He's willing to spend money and stay out of the way of the hockey people. He also agreed to throw his pretty newly acquired team in the ****ter for two years because the hockey people told him that's what needs to be done to win a championship. Either he or someone he respects told him being Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones doesn't win championships. To me that says he has a ton of humility which is not a trait you will find in billionaires very often.

This screams of looking a gift horse in the mouth. After a run of crummy ownership for the Sabres we're going to ***** about the best one we've had in years because he didn't fulfill his rah rah we're going to win a cup in 3 years statement?

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
so sick of the buffalo news schmucks.

Don't even want to explain.
They don't deserve the public's time.
Simple as that.
They pander to a certain niche of readers, and it's very dissapointing.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
For all the posters here who allegedly hate TBN.... A lot of you follow their tweets, post their opinions and articles here. And a select few, agree with a lot of what they type/say.

Why is that?

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
For all the posters here who allegedly hate TBN.... A lot of you follow their tweets, post their opinions and articles here. And a select few, agree with a lot of what they type/say.

Why is that?

If I don't read everything they write, how else am I going to know that everything they write is crap? :popcorn:

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Buffalo is thriving because the Pegulas believed and helped others believe.

Praise them for their commitment to a region otherwise dismissed. Thank them for their generosity and vision. Hold them up as civic heroes who deserve a section of the city named after them. They’re responsible for Pegulaville. They restored faith in Buffalo in more ways than anyone would have imagined.

Yep, totally hates the Pegula's.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I think as of now the Sabres are progressing and the Bills remain stagnant. The QB situation is the problem in Buffalo. Personally, the GM of the Bills needs to go.

The two sports can't be compared. Nobody really "rebuilds" in football. Atleast not like they do in baseball or hockey. Its all on getting that QB. There's not many of those out there. Hell there's not even 32 "qualified" starters out there.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Yes, because changing entire coaching staffs and philosophies annually is a proven path to success.

/boggle

Well in the bills case it brought....failure. Not to say I liked the last coach but they actually had a defense. They then replaced him with a defensive guy. Defense got worse. Kinda funny, actually. They should have kept Schwartz around. If they were gunna hire a defensive coach why not the coordinator the players respected?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

Perhaps that's the point. For them to be silent. I think its been proven over time that most sports owners know jack about sports however they have the capital you and I don't. If owners knew things they wouldn't need guys to run the operation like a GM or VP they'd just pull a Jerry Jones and run it themselves.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

The vitriol started right after Pegula bought the team. He had a sit down in a TBN board room with the entire TBN sports staff (editors, writers, etc). During the discussion, Pegula got on them for being unfair to Regier and Ruff. Ever since then Bucky, Harrington and Sully have been after him.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Bucky goes after whoever is there. That's his entire schtick. He cried for years that the team was winning meaningless games and not getting high picks...and guess what he did when they committed to his own plan? He's contrarian just to be contrarian. He's Stokes with an editor.

Harrington just doesn't know anything about hockey to begin with and seems almost gleeful to not put in the effort to learn.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Bucky goes after whoever is there. That's his entire schtick. He cried for years that the team was winning meaningless games and not getting high picks...and guess what he did when they committed to his own plan? He's contrarian just to be contrarian. He's Stokes with an editor.

Harrington just doesn't know anything about hockey to begin with and seems almost gleeful to not put in the effort to learn.

Harrington does have a degree in journalism, you know.....:rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad