TBN: Bucky Gleason: The Pegulas May Be in Over Their Heads

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
I hate Bucky and Im mad at myself for clicking the link. Because ultimately, as garbage as his pieces always are, he gets the clicks.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I suggest we all go with our guts not dignify his articles by not reading them. Let's not support these dummies with our clicks.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'm not going to read it, but going to guess....

...Unfounded hit piece against a billionaire who has spent upwards of 2 billion keeping the sports teams in Buffalo and revitalizing downtown area himself?

Guys a troll. If he posted on a message board instead of writing for a newspaper he would have been banned years ago for trying to bring attention to himself.

Don Jaroodi*

So how much did that toolbox from NJ who creates TERRIBLE music pay him to write this?

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
They've owned the Buffalo Bills for 15 months. 2015 was the first full season they had control, as they took over in October last year.

Contrary to the fantasy land that Bucky lives in, you don't turn a franchise around in that short a time frame. It just doesn't happen. 'Going nowhere' is a silly label to apply.

They've owned the Sabres much longer. Yes, he made some early decisions that didn't pan out. He recognized the status quo wasn't working (maybe a bit too late, but he did) and made changes at the top. Yes, there was a tank season, but the changes made have clearly set the table for future success. They're are on pace to beat last year's point total by roughly mid February. With their 2nd and 3rd string goaltenders.

More facepalm level BS from the Buckster.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Yeah, I'm not even gonna read this one. Sorry, Bucky. Pegula kept our teams here. He tried to win with the Sabres, found out the hard way we weren't close to being a contender, and changed course, andnow we're through the worst part of a rebuild, and we've got a bunch of great young pieces to build with. Future is bright.

His first year with the Bills was a bit disappointing, but it's hard to pin that on him considering the Bills always find ways to be disappointing. It's hilarious, honestly. The decade+ of failure prior to his ownership are whatever, but the team disappoints its 1st year with him owning it, and it's time to get out the pitchforks.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
He does make a couple of decent points......but the article is largely discredited by the following statement:

Thought this one was a touch suspect:

If you remember, Terry Pegula talked about winning a Stanley Cup within three years after buying the franchise. It’s laughable now, but at the time the Sabres really weren’t that far away from competing for a title.

Missed it by that much.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Truth is, Peugla dumped the vast majority of his energy holdings at much higher prices and paid cash for two profitable sports franchises. Today those energy assets are worth a fraction of what he sold them for. Sounds like he's ahead of game rather than in over his head, but who am I to question to musings of a bitter TBN hack writer.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
For me, when it comes to the on-ice/on-field aspect of the team, the only thing I want the owner to do is provide the resources needed and know when something isn't working and change it to make the team as competitive as possible.

So far, he has done that just fine.

Everything you would want from the OWNER Terry has provided, well apparently outside that Parking Garage that serves no cosmetic usefulness outside of providing a place for cars to park for the rinks, and hotel connected to it...

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
People don't like when the truth is spoken. Now, I really couldn't give much of a damn about hockey. There's too many games and the point system just makes it all the more dumb. That league though is probably the closest in parity though from top to bottom. The difference isn't much between the top and bottom teams...atleast in comparison to other sports. They may have young talents on their team but its probably the easiest league in making the playoffs that just making it to me doesn't mean a team is going somewhere. Now...hockey playoffs...I'll watch that. Exciting stuff. That said they are probably the biggest crapshoot. For that young talent or not its hard to gauge where a team is ultimately going. Not to mention with a cap it will be hard to sign all those players again. Usually there's a learning curve too in trying to win so that will take time. By the time they could be ready to be good they may face cap problems.

Now the bills....they are a cap mess. They don't have a coach. They really don't have a QB. I'm a fan of Try Hard a little bit but ultimately I don't think Taylor is the answer for any title team. The bills are no better now than before they for their hands on them. Even if the offense is somewhat watchable. The defense is not. Mario Williams is costing so much money. He's nor the only one though. The bills are still where they've mostly been the last decade plus. A .500 or so team. The NFL is different though. If you don't get that QB you aren't winning anything anyway unless you acquire the 85 Bears difference. At this point if the bills left I can't say I'd be heartbroken. Just having a team eventually gets old. Outside of the 90s lucky run this franchise has mostly been a dumpster fire. Especially the last 15 years. Eventually one can only take so much. Just having a team to have it eventually plays out and gets tiring.

Clock

May 13, 2006
I'm not clicking that. Guy is the worst form of the contrarian water cooler fan who somehow got a journalism gig.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
For me, when it comes to the on-ice/on-field aspect of the team, the only thing I want the owner to do is provide the resources needed and know when something isn't working and change it to make the team as competitive as possible.

So far, he has done that just fine.

Everything you would want from the OWNER Terry has provided, well apparently outside that Parking Garage that serves no cosmetic usefulness outside of providing a place for cars to park for the rinks, and hotel connected to it...

I guess it depends. Putting in a center for hockey for example doesn't win a team games or anything. Its not gunna change the on ice product. Sure maybe it helps the community but if you look at on the field product these little things don't do a damn thing for it. You can't really change things about a market like its size or entertainment level(or lack there of) you can upgrade your facilities and all but in a cap league its not like having a multi billion dollar owner really matters. Players will go where they can get paid(see Stupid Mario(as in Williams)for the Bills. Big pay day for a bad team. He didn't care they sucked. He cared he got paid. If this were baseball I might agree that stuff might mean something as you can spend however much you please with no cap although there's a luxury tax that teams have to pay if they reach a certain amount.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I guess it depends. Putting in a center for hockey for example doesn't win a team games or anything. Its not gunna change the on ice product. Sure maybe it helps the community but if you look at on the field product these little things don't do a damn thing for it. You can't really change things about a market like its size or entertainment level(or lack there of) you can upgrade your facilities and all but in a cap league its not like having a multi billion dollar owner really matters. Players will go where they can get paid(see Stupid Mario(as in Williams)for the Bills. Big pay day for a bad team. He didn't care they sucked. He cared he got paid. If this were baseball I might agree that stuff might mean something as you can spend however much you please with no cap although there's a luxury tax that teams have to pay if they reach a certain amount.
This is dumb and wrong and wrong and dumb.

Did you not follow this team between 05 and 07?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Definitely a garbage piece that isn't worth the time. I will say that the only thing I criticize the Pegulas for, and it may be misplaced, is whatever their role was in hiring Bylsma and Ryan as the HCs. Seems like they went for a name splash or popularity instead of going for the right fit (and I don't suppose they would have personally known who the right fit was, and relied on the front office). Either way, the HC choices have been poor.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Definitely a garbage piece that isn't worth the time. I will say that the only thing I criticize the Pegulas for, and it may be misplaced, is whatever their role was in hiring Bylsma and Ryan as the HCs. Seems like they went for a name splash or popularity instead of going for the right fit (and I don't suppose they would have personally known who the right fit was, and relied on the front office). Either way, the HC choices have been poor.

I don't understand how Russ Brandon still has a job. *shrug*

I haven't read the article. I may... but it seems like Buckmeister's usual trolling MO.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He has to get his kicks in now when the Sabres are still low on the planned rebuild. He won't be able to write it for long. It reaks of a fundamental failure to understand why the Sabres have done what they've done. Any opinion that it wasn't or isn't the best option they had is flat out wrong. He's STILL banging the drums that they were close in the era of having no centers when they missed the playoffs every year and the rebuild was the wrong move. I should say he still says that NOW...since when we were actually living in it he routinely criticized the, for NOT TANKING an winning games that hurt them in the long run. Once they committed? He switched sides and pretended people had no memories.

You have to be a fool to read his stuff after that. You have to be something worse to agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad