Jan 19, 2015
63-37-18
34-46-21
17-51-88
20-23-25

#profit

Where's connolly and his good shot?

+like julien said he will probably break that 3rd line,
I'd put eriksson with the kids and julien would trust them with more icetime and eriksson can also score at the same time.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
People who always look at Rask as the main reason why we lose against MTL should watch the tapes of these games again. Most of the time, the team let Rask high and dry; allowing breakaways and making bad turnovers in the defensive zone. We can also talk about the bad penalties ( frustration ) that some players take. Some fans can criticize all they want but this year, without Rask, the Bruins are not a playoffs team.

Agreed.

Bruins aren't scoring. You can't score 1 goal and then expect your goalie to get a shutout to win games. Yes it occasionally happens (essentially it did today but making a habit of it isn't a good idea).

Habs are in the skaters heads as much as they are in Tuukka's.

The Bruins play tentative, uninspired, passionateless hockey against the Habs. At some point the tables will turn and the Bruins will figure it out but it's going to require julien making some adjustments and the players going all in.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Agreed.

Bruins aren't scoring. You can't score 1 goal and then expect your goalie to get a shutout to win games. Yes it occasionally happens (essentially it did today but making a habit of it isn't a good idea).

The Bruins play tentative, uninspired, passionateless hockey against the Habs. At some point the tables will turn and the Bruins will figure it out but it's going to require julien making some adjustments and the players going all in.

Someone should create a thread in which we can exclusively discuss ways and strategies to defeat Montreal.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
He should put Kelly in Campbell's spot and move Yeti out to the left side slotting Krecji in the middle .

That works for me. Talbot, Kelly, Soda on the 4th line.

Campbell, Paille out.

My confidence in Claude making the right choices on this, however, is almost nihil.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Dull game. Good result. Can't complain about a road win like that, but it was a squeaker for sure.

Can't touch that Lucic-Spooner-Pastrnak line IMO. Lucic is getting back to his straight ahead north-south game. Moving his feet. Throwing his weight around. Two young guys seem more at ease than ever.

Count me in as someone who'd like to see Euro possession line of Soderberg-Krejci-Eriksson. Insert Kelly to 4th line C. This is what should happen. I fully expect a veteran laden lineup come playoff time though. Kelly, Campbell, Talbot, Paille is more 30+ year old LH shooting 4th line/PK veterans than one team needs IMO. :( Pick your two best and mix as needed.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
If you mean contender in the sense of people betting on your team to win it all, I think you're wrong. I wouldn't bet on this team to win a cup.

However, if you mean contender in the sense that they could play spoiler and get the perfect storm to go deep, then I agree.

The Bruins have some big holes but they have two things going for them-a lot of play off experience and Tuukka Rask.

I still don't think this defense is a cup winning defense but agree if Krejci and Connelly return and Connelly is able to contribute then the forward group may do okay-as long as Julien finds a way to keep Looch, Spooner and Pastrnak together. I don't particularly want to see Campbell in the Playoffs but pretty sure no matter how they are playing when Krejci returns Spooner is either in the Pressbox or headed back to the baby Bs.

--
I was effectively referring to this type of contending. (spoiler - playoff surprise)

I also have issue with our D Core, but I had the same opinion last year without 44. I also thougt at the time and still this year, a mobile steady D would have help, even more a top 4, but a) you need the salary gap for it b) players to chip in exchange c) most of all: find one available.

On offence, if Spooner maintain he game, I'm all in to keep him in the line up. As for Campbell, I understand someone needs to sit... but I can't understand all the negative reading on him lately on this board. He is a heck of a 4 liner and role player.

LFG19

Apr 27, 2014
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Soderberg-Krecji-Erkisson
Lucic-Spooner-Pasta
Talbot-Kelly-Connolly

That's pretty impressive.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
gotta give chiarelli credit for creating such a deep group of forwards and creating so many different options that get support from us 'experts' here.

if I was offering my line ideas, they would go a bit like this...

leave smith with Bergeron and marchand. smith might have been unimpressive to most of us this year but Bergeron has been really strong again the past 40 games and marchand is playing some of the best hockey of his career. these guys will be able to win matchups against almost anyone they play against.

when krejci and Connolly comes back, I vote to put them together and give them a try with maybe Eriksson. even if the offensive chemistry doesn't click immediately these guys should be able to hold their own defensively. the talent is there to click offensively though and I think its worth a try since it would allow us to then...

leave lucic with the kids pastrnak and spooner. whether we call these guys the third line or the fourth line doesn't really matter. these guys might get over matched if asked to play a regular shift against the other team's scoring line, but in 10-12 mins of regular ice time and then a couple mins of pp time in a typical game, we have seen these guys are good for popping in a goal almost every night.

and that brings us to soderberg and the luxury of moving him to a 'fourth' line where he can have Kelly/Talbot as his wingers. I think these guys will eat other team's fourth lines for breakfast.

my moves leave paille/Campbell available for injury substitutions.

hollafamer

Jan 24, 2011
gotta give chiarelli credit for creating such a deep group of forwards and creating so many different options that get support from us 'experts' here.

leave smith with Bergeron and marchand. smith might have been unimpressive to most of us this year but Bergeron has been really strong again the past 40 games and marchand is playing some of the best hockey of his career. these guys will be able to win matchups against almost anyone they play against.

when krejci and Connolly comes back, I vote to put them together and give them a try with maybe Eriksson. even if the offensive chemistry doesn't click immediately these guys should be able to hold their own defensively. the talent is there to click offensively though and I think its worth a try since it would allow us to then...

leave lucic with the kids pastrnak and spooner. whether we call these guys the third line or the fourth line doesn't really matter. these guys might get over matched if asked to play a regular shift against the other team's scoring line, but in 10-12 mins of regular ice time and then a couple mins of pp time in a typical game, we have seen these guys are good for popping in a goal almost every night.

and that brings us to soderberg and the luxury of moving him to a 'fourth' line where he can have Kelly/Talbot as his wingers. I think these guys will eat other team's fourth lines for breakfast.

Agreed with all of this. This would create so much hell for opposing teams. Our 2nd-3rd-4th lines would easily have the advantage against any opposing teams 2-3-4 lines. The first line is the only unknown since they have not play together and very little time to create a top line chemistry. That being said I will roll the dice with that first line if that means we gain 3 talented lines. Bruins thrive on 4 line play for the system we play this is the best approach. Also Loui gets put back into his natural position which I think will make him even better then he already has been.

Ryan77

Jan 3, 2015
I'm probably going to receive some negative feedback for this post but it needs to be said.

Campbell and paille have to be on the 4th line and playing.

IMO Campbell and Talbot are the exact same player however Campbell is way better on the draw and him and Paille kill penalties well together. Come playoffs special teams are so important.

Sometimes I think people on here expect far to much from a 4th line. Campbell had had an off year but like the team has looked much better the last couple of games.

Secondly with Krecji back I think Smith needs a game or two in the press box. I think his game has been terrible and it worked well for Paille.

Marchand Bergy Smith
Soda Krecji Erikkson
pasta Spooner Lucic
Kelly Campell Paille

Talbot will get in,there will be injuries. Depth is a good thing.

As for Conolly I don't know what they will do with him. This player is very inconsistent at the best of times and has been since junior so it will be fun to see.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'm probably going to receive some negative feedback for this post but it needs to be said.

Campbell and paille have to be on the 4th line and playing.

IMO Campbell and Talbot are the exact same player however Campbell is way better on the draw and him and Paille kill penalties well together. Come playoffs special teams are so important.

Sometimes I think people on here expect far to much from a 4th line. Campbell had had an off year but like the team has looked much better the last couple of games.

Secondly with Krecji back I think Smith needs a game or two in the press box. I think his game has been terrible and it worked well for Paille.

Marchand Bergy Smith
Soda Krecji Erikkson
pasta Spooner Lucic
Kelly Campell Paille

Talbot will get in,there will be injuries. Depth is a good thing.

As for Conolly I don't know what they will do with him. This player is very inconsistent at the best of times and has been since junior so it will be fun to see.

I don't think Campbell is as bad as some make him out to be. Claude just plays him wayyyy too ****ing much. He shouldn't get the 3rd most TOI among forwards on an expansion team, let alone ours.

Another player who I see is flying under the radar is Seth Griffith. What is he going to do next year? He wasn't bad when he was up imo

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Someone should create a thread in which we can exclusively discuss ways and strategies to defeat Montreal.

while I agree with Fenway about waiting until we see if we play them, I`ve always found when our boys or any other opponent are most effective against the Habs it all comes down to being disciplined and patient.

Disciplined in that you let the Habs play their tiddly wink game on the perimeter rather than chase the puck carrier with 2 players.

Isles lost last night to the Habs and did so when they got aggressive in their zone and once in the neutral zone when Hickey tried to step up for a Phaneuf-like hit taking himself completely out of position

Stand them up at the blue line but when that is not possible, let em play with the puck in the O zone and make sure you cover the passing lanes

Their team is as offensively scary as the B`s which is not at all scary, and while in the O zone, have the man who plays highest in the slot move closer to the blue line about 2 more feet, this will take away that BS stretch pass they always try to use

so much for me agreeing with Fenway about waiting to share my theory:)

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Agreed.

One thing for sure: In order to compete against MTL, the Bruins will need Pasta and Spooner in the lineup. Both of them bring speed and skills to the table. Bruins can't afford to take hooking/holding penalties because slow players like Campbell would be late on a play. Our D-man will have to simply their game and use the glass more often then against any other team. We can't afford giveaways in our own end or get scored on an ill advised cross ice pass....

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Thinking that they need a special way or strategy to defeat Montreal would be the first thing to avoid when playing Montreal.

playing their own game and worrying less about the Habs would be a start

Hands down, one of the most underwhelming Divison leaders I`ve seen in a long time

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
One thing for sure: In order to compete against MTL, the Bruins will need Pasta and Spooner in the lineup. Both of them bring speed and skills to the table. Bruins can't afford to take hooking/holding penalties because slow players like Campbell would be late on a play. Our D-man will have to simply their game and use the glass more often then against any other team. We can't afford giveaways in our own end or get scored on an ill advised cross ice pass....

I agree. Problem is convincing Julien of this. MTL knows Claude will throw all the old bastids out there and MTL knows how to play against them as they've already proven. If he just let the kids play, then MTL might not be ready for them but we'll see I guess.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

The beauty of a line up like this is it leaves teams unable to figure out which line their top four D are matching against.

And which line do you try to shut down?

3rd and 4th lines would have a field day.

The defense is still full of scary holes though.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006

It's interesting that you bring Lucic and the fact that he need another "set" of teammates. Seems to me that old friend Lucic is a high maintenance player. We always have to shuffle the roster to "accommodate" him. Wouldn't be surprise that he will be on the move on the offseason. Re-signing of Smith might a clear signal of that.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Penguins would have won if they had malkin and crosby.

- root sports announcers

Well I am quite sure they had both of them in the 2013 playoffs....Let's see....What happened...:sarcasm:...Oh yeah....The B's swept them :D

I don't think the Pens want to play the B's in the playoffs even with all of their players .

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
He should put Kelly in Campbell's spot and move Yeti out to the left side slotting Krecji in the middle .

I agree completely.

A few months ago I would have been dead set against this as Soderberg was driving only line that was clicking.

Now his play has dropped off ( nagging injury? ) this seems like a perfect solution. Yeti still a good player and should be in lineup, so this solution a win win to me.

Hockey64

Nov 6, 2014
Western Mass
Besides Rask, did you see anything good?

What stood out for me on the positive side was the amount of room Lucic creates in front of net. Seems opposing D just look down or skate away and have to believe that helps when battling for loose pucks.

Speaking of battling for loose pucks, saw both Erickson and Soderberg doing exactly that (Soderberg looked more like a bull coming into the crease one time).

Contrast that with the B's nwt when McQuaid is out there....I really like what he brings to the team. He will get nasty and protect our cage (I think it was B. Morrow the previous game he dealt with in typical McQuaid fashion).

What stood out from a negative side was the lack of killer instinct. Backup goalie, no Crosby, no Malkin. I was thinking of an analogy such as the Pats not having Brady and Gronkowski and their primary kicker couldn't be used.

Maybe I am not giving Pens enough credit and they pulled together with all of the adversity they faced to make a game out of it.

I also have to remember that the B's didn't have their #1 center either.

Most important thing is that got 2 points and now look forward to tonight.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
playing their own game and worrying less about the Habs would be a start

Hands down, one of the most underwhelming Divison leaders I`ve seen in a long time

Yes, but according to the main board the Habs have the best player in the Universe.:laugh:

To be fair, they said World. However since we have yet to find lifeforms outside Planet Earth capable of playing hockey I just made the natural leap for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad