Confirmed with Link: B's Announce 2013-14 Rookie Game Roster & Schedule

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com
I don't know if this is the best thread for this question but if we take Hamilton, Bart and Krug out of the mix, what does Boston's depth look like on D? Who is the number 1 D-man at this point? I'm curious, too, about Trotman. What's his ceiling?

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I don't know if this is the best thread for this question but if we take Hamilton, Bart and Krug out of the mix, what does Boston's depth look like on D? Who is the number 1 D-man at this point? I'm curious, too, about Trotman. What's his ceiling?

Well, we have Morrow, who's definitely got top-4 upside. Pretty sure outside of our big 3 young guys you listed above, he's the #1.

I really like Grzelcyk. He's a complete wild card, a lot like Krug. Everyone says he'll fail because of his size, but he's proven all of them wrong. Had an excellent freshman at college, should have another excellent year, and probably improve a lot. Will probably make Team USA for the WJC, had an amazing outing for them earlier this year. I also like Arnesson, the guy we took in the 2nd round this year. Not much star potential there, but really low bust rate. Kind of like a McQuaid, just not as mean and more active defensively. Likely a 3rd pairing shut down guy, but that's definitely not a bad thing. Don't know much about some of the other guys, but O'Gara and Trotman are both highly praised.

Ogrim

Oct 11, 2012
Stockholm

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Only what, two? Three? He's a rookie. And as someone pointed out (Dom?), it's a good way to measure Spooner's improvement/growth over the summer before big-boy camp.

The point (I was making to Ratty) is that Joe Morrow's rookie status (and absence from camp) is not due to NHL games played.

Last edited:

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
The point (I was making to Ratty) is that Joe Morrow's rookie status (and absence from camp) is not due to NHL games played.
The NHL rules point out who qualifies as a rookie. I believe it is 25 games played or reaching a certain age. But I was not referring to NHL rules, rather what seems to be Bruins policy of restricting rookie camp to prospects with little professional experience.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
2pm game... hopefully they'll record it and put it online so I can watch it after work... is that asking too much?

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Total crap, I really enjoy the rookie games. Make them available NESN and NHL. Seriously...

There is no way on Earth that NESN sends a broadcast crew to a rookie tourney in Florida, not in the middle of a pennant race.

But as I said before, this would be right up the NHL Network's alley, but their programmers are too busy throwing darts at a list of random playoff games and "Oil Change" and "NHL 36" episodes to pay attention.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
There is no way on Earth that NESN sends a broadcast crew to a rookie tourney in Florida, not in the middle of a pennant race.

But as I said before, this would be right up the NHL Network's alley, but their programmers are too busy throwing darts at a list of random playoff games and "Oil Change" and "NHL 36" episodes to pay attention.

Already sent an email today to my friend Kerry at the NHL who can try and put a push on it. Couple of times when TSN screwed us out of games by showing Australian Rugby or something, I sent her a message and she got TSN to release it so it could go on center ice.

Could be too late for this year, maybe not. Who knows. Obviously I can't give her email out, but if anyone wants to send her a message via twitter you can do so to @NHLKerry

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
The NHL rules point out who qualifies as a rookie. I believe it is 25 games played or reaching a certain age. But I was not referring to NHL rules, rather what seems to be Bruins policy of restricting rookie camp to prospects with little professional experience.

I know. I wasn't saying they weren't rookies by NHL standards (and I knew you weren't saying that either). I was just pointing out that Spooner has more NHL games than Morrow (who has none), yet Spooner is playing and Morrow isn't. I'd be curious to hear if anyone knows why.

Why are Smith, Fraser and Morrow being held out? Does brass feel like they don't need it? I could see that being the case with Smith and Fraser, but why Morrow?

Bi Coastal Bawse*

If they have space I hope they sign Campbell Elyniuk. We all want a replacement for Thornton in a few years could be Elyniuk or Dempsey

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I know. I wasn't saying they weren't rookies by NHL standards (and I knew you weren't saying that either). I was just pointing out that Spooner has more NHL games than Morrow (who has none), yet Spooner is playing and Morrow isn't. I'd be curious to hear if anyone knows why.

Why are Smith, Fraser and Morrow being held out? Does brass feel like they don't need it? I could see that being the case with Smith and Fraser, but why Morrow?

Maybe they feel they already have a plan for morrow for next year that wouldn't change on what they could see at a handful of rookie games.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
If the NHL Network had any initiative, it would send crews to the rookie tourneys (there's also the Traverse City tourney, with Columbus, Buffalo, Carolina, the Rangers, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota and St. Louis) and televise some of the games. You'd have to think fans would rather watch that than rerun #800 of "Oil Change."

I'd rather watch "The Day the Game Changed" or (player x) day with the Cup. :sarcasm:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
If Camara has a great camp here I fully expect him to open the season as the Bruins 3rd line RW..;)

Had a great long chat with Dan yesterday who is going to the practices Wednesday and Thursday. Told him I expect, and he and Julia should watch for, a "collision" between Dempsey and Camara. A meeting of the muscle if you will.

On another note, I don't have your number. I would have called you instead :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad