Confirmed with Link: Bryan Rust re-signs 5.125 AAV (6 years)

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I’ve already stated if Letang walks I’m bringing Petry or Burns in on the cheap. I doubt the difference would be as much as everyone is saying.

Burns?? On the cheap? He makes more than Letang does. He also has a THREE team trade list (which is basically tantamount to a full NTC because he'll just pick the 3 teams least likely to trade for him). Burns is 2 years older than Letang, has already started to decline SIGNIFICANTLY (whereas Letang just had his best season) and he's signed for 3 more years for more money than we could sign Letang for.

And Petry SUCKS about 50% of the time. He has declined A LOT already. When he's playing well, he's a #3-4 at best, but his bad is really bad.

Petry is also the same age as Letang and signed for another 3 seasons after this year. So we know we aren't even saving any term necessariy by getting Petry or Burns.

Petry makes approx. 85% of what it would cost to sign Letang and isn't half the player. And you want to give up assets (of which we don't have much at all) to trade for an inferior player rather than retain a FAR superior player without having to give up any assets?

I mean, come on man...you and I have both been around here for a while and there's lots of respect to go around, but both of these guys would be a massive downgrade on Letang IMMEDIATELY, and both of these guys are well into their decline as players and that cliff is going to be a steep one.

So when you say you say "If Letang walks I'm bringing in Petry or Burns on the cheap" you're basically just asssuming that MTL or SJS are just going to retain 50% on their salaries and give them to us for little return; and that either or both of these players will waive specifically to come here. These are huge and frankly unrealstic assumptions. We know DAL has interest in Petry if they lose Klingberg, and we know Petry wants to go to DET where he's from. So when you stack up: the team retaining 50%; the player willing to waive specifically to come here; the Pens being able to put together the most competitive offer or an offer in general that would entice MTL or SJS to retain 50% on those players; and our management or analytics oriented ownership giving the green light to make such a trade -- it's basically like an acid trip hallucination pipe dream fantasy near-impossiblity.

Or we could just sign the better player, Letang, without giving up any assets. Ahhh...simple. Sometimes the simple and obvious answer is the correct one.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Burns?? On the cheap? He makes more than Letang does. He also has a THREE team trade list (which is basically tantamount to a full NTC because he'll just pick the 3 teams least likely to trade for him). Burns is 2 years older than Letang, has already started to decline SIGNIFICANTLY (whereas Letang just had his best season) and he's signed for 3 more years for more money than we could sign Letang for.

And Petry SUCKS about 50% of the time. He has declined A LOT already. When he's playing well, he's a #3-4 at best, but his bad is really bad.

Petry is also the same age as Letang and signed for another 3 seasons after this year. So we know we aren't even saving any term necessariy by getting Petry or Burns.

Petry makes approx. 85% of what it would cost to sign Letang and isn't half the player. And you want to give up assets (of which we don't have much at all) to trade for an inferior player rather than retain a FAR superior player without having to give up any assets?

I mean, come on man...you and I have both been around here for a while and there's lots of respect to go around, but both of these guys would be a massive downgrade on Letang IMMEDIATELY, and both of these guys are well into their decline as players and that cliff is going to be a steep one.

So when you say you say "If Letang walks I'm bringing in Petry or Burns on the cheap" you're basically just asssuming that MTL or SJS are just going to retain 50% on their salaries and give them to us for little return; and that either or both of these players will waive specifically to come here. These are huge and frankly unrealstic assumptions. We know DAL has interest in Petry if they lose Klingberg, and we know Petry wants to go to DET where he's from. So when you stack up: the team retaining 50%; the player willing to waive specifically to come here; the Pens being able to put together the most competitive offer or an offer in general that would entice MTL or SJS to retain 50% on those players; and our management or analytics oriented ownership giving the green light to make such a trade -- it's basically like an acid trip hallucination pipe dream fantasy near-impossiblity.

Or we could just sign the better player, Letang, without giving up any assets. Ahhh...simple. Sometimes the simple and obvious answer is the correct one.

We will see if Letang signs here. I’m not paying Letang 8+ x 5 if that is his ask.

I’m also not asking San Jose or Montreal to retain. I’d give up a player like Blueger, Pettersson and a pick or Legare for either.

I’m the biggest Letang homer on this board btw.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
We will see if Letang signs here. I’m not paying Letang 8+ x 5 if that is his ask.

I’m also not asking San Jose or Montreal to retain. I’d give up a player like Blueger, Pettersson and a pick or Legare for either.

I’m the biggest Letang homer on this board btw.

Man, I so don't understand you. First you want to get rid of Marino, and then you want to get rid of Pettersson (both of whom had a fantastic playoffs) when we have no other D to step in. And then you say "let's give up Blueger" or Legare (who has no value BTW, other than maybe a 7th rounder, if that) as if these guys are interchangable.

Hey, I'm disappointed that Blueger didn't step up and contribute any offense in the playoffs (though his linemates weren't particularly skilled) but he's a great PKer and useful player signed to a cheap contract. And if he doesn't blossom offensively, he'll just be that much cheaper to extend.

So the plan might be to let Letang go (#1 Dman gone) and then trade Pettersson (2nd pairing Dman gone) to bring in an overpriced, aging Dman? So we lose 2 superior Dmen to bring in one inferior Dmen who makes close to as much money? This is what you call a bad plan or just thinking way too hard about greener grass.

Finally: Letang NEVER asked for 8.5. Per Seravalli, his opening ask was 5 x 7 something. That was his ASK , which obvious negotiating tactics tells you he's willing to go lower on either term and/or AAV than what he asked for. So I will repeat again: I think realistic projections for Letang are one of the following:

3 x 7.5
4 x 7
5 x 6.5

One of those offers should get it done, and I'd be fine with any or all of them. I'd rather one of the latter 2 to keep the AAV down, and those would also be more compelling to Letang because you're talking about 28M or 33M. Even if another team offered him 3 x 8 --8.5, that's 24-25M. And we know all things being even in a reasonable ballpark, he'd like to remain in Pittsburgh. He loves it here, and we're going to bring his buddy MAF here.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Man, I so don't understand you. First you want to get rid of Marino, and then you want to get rid of Pettersson (both of whom had a fantastic playoffs) when we have no other D to step in. And then you say "let's give up Blueger" or Legare (who has no value BTW, other than maybe a 7th rounder, if that) as if these guys are interchangable.

Hey, I'm disappointed that Blueger didn't step up and contribute any offense in the playoffs (though his linemates weren't particularly skilled) but he's a great PKer and useful player signed to a cheap contract. And if he doesn't blossom offensively, he'll just be that much cheaper to extend.

So the plan might be to let Letang go (#1 Dman gone) and then trade Pettersson (2nd pairing Dman gone) to bring in an overpriced, aging Dman? So we lose 2 superior Dmen to bring in one inferior Dmen who makes close to as much money? This is what you call a bad plan or just thinking way too hard about greener grass.

Finally: Letang NEVER asked for 8.5. Per Seravalli, his opening ask was 5 x 7 something. That was his ASK , which obvious negotiating tactics tells you he's willing to go lower on either term and/or AAV than what he asked for. So I will repeat again: I think realistic projections for Letang are one of the following:

3 x 7.5
4 x 7
5 x 6.5

One of those offers should get it done, and I'd be fine with any or all of them. I'd rather one of the latter 2 to keep the AAV down, and those would also be more compelling to Letang because you're talking about 28M or 33M. Even if another team offered him 3 x 8 --8.5, that's 24-25M. And we know all things being even in a reasonable ballpark, he'd like to remain in Pittsburgh. He loves it here, and we're going to bring his buddy MAF here.

I could care less about losing Teddy after his post seasons the last three years and Petts is a bloated contract we can lose with Friedman and POJ being NHL ready.

Reactions: Shady Machine

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I could care less about losing Teddy after his post seasons the last three years and Petts is a bloated contract we can lose with Friedman and POJ being NHL ready.

Dude, we have no idea to what degree the org. truly believes in POJ or how well he’ll play if he does. I love what Friedman brings but he is NOT a top 4 Dman.

The way Pettersson and Marino played these playoffs, BOTH of these guys deserve at least another full season season here to show what they can do, as both are still very young by Dmen standards and should only improve.

I think the Petts vs Dumo debate is over. We should trade Dumo and keep Pettersson 100%.

And I think I’ve seen you also suggest we should trade Dumo, as well as Marino. So your D-core essentially is:

Matheson—????
Friedman—Ruhwedel
POJ—???

YIKES!! Lol.

Reactions: Factorial

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Somehow even better lol.

Yeah I thought there was going to be a full NTC for 3 years dropping to 10 teams for the last 3.

Good for both parties though. Rust not going anywhere for 3 years and the Pens get a bit more flexibility in the later years (especially adding in the actual $$$).

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't give a shit about term on Letang's contract. Why would I? Cap hit is what matters there. Needs to be a manageable cap hit for the last three years of Sid's contract, as those are gonna be our last three years of contending assuming Sid retires after that.

Even if Sid doesn't retire after that, he'll be what? 38? He's not gonna be in a position to keep us going on deep runs at that point unless he defies father time and well...he is Sid. He just might.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I don't give a shit about term on Letang's contract. Why would I? Cap hit is what matters there. Needs to be a manageable cap hit for the last three years of Sid's contract, as those are gonna be our last three years of contending assuming Sid retires after that.

Even if Sid doesn't retire after that, he'll be what? 38? He's not gonna be in a position to keep us going on deep runs at that point unless he defies father time and well...he is Sid. He just might.

Sir this is a Wendy’s Bryan Rust thread

Reactions: Pancakes

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Blueger has replaced Bones....in the regular season.

It's lightning in a bottle to get HBK, but even in the second run, Bones far exceeded anything Blueger has ever done in the playoffs.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I’m all aboard the Blueger sucks train. I’m still waiting for him to replace Bones.

I have no problem replacing Blueger IF we can sign another C.

But if we can't end up signing someone else, the one bit of good news is: Blueger is in a contract year and should be motivated as hell, because at his age, now is the time to try to cash in.

Kinda like how Jeff Carter did until he signed the extension....

Reactions: Pens x

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010

3 x 7.5
4 x 7
5 x 6.5

There is not a single aspect about Blueger that is great, least of all his penalty killing. He also has disappeared 3 playoffs in a row, except when he is getting hemmed in the d zone and leaking goals. If we want to contend again, small no shows like Blueger need to be off this team.

If Letang wants over 8 and term, we need to let him go. The team doesn't need a dynamic offensive d man, it needs to shore up its play in the d zone. We scored like 35 goals on the Vezina winner, but we had way too many moments when guys like Letang failed to clear the zone and we got hemmed in for multiple shifts. If Letang takes 8 or less, fine.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Jeff Carter on the day he signed the extension to Sleepy:

giphy.gif

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
There is not a single aspect about Blueger that is great, least of all his penalty killing. He also has disappeared 3 playoffs in a row, except when he is getting hemmed in the d zone and leaking goals. If we want to contend again, small no shows like Blueger need to be off this team.

If Letang wants over 8 and term, we need to let him go. The team doesn't need a dynamic offensive d man, it needs to shore up its play in the d zone. We scored like 35 goals on the Vezina winner, but we had way too many moments when guys like Letang failed to clear the zone and we got hemmed in for multiple shifts. If Letang takes 8 or less, fine.

I think I need to put this in all caps because multiple people keep bringing this up when there are ZERO reliable sources suggesting 8 million. HEY EVERYONE, LETANG'S CAMP IS NOT ASKING FOR 8 MILLION FROM THE PENGUINS!!!!!!!

So we would have go offer Letang MORE than what he is asking, which doesn't happen in negotiations unless you're under 2 years old and don't have a properly developed nervous system.

The only way Letang gets $8M is if he goes to the open market and it's a team offering him a 1 or 2 year deal.

The Penguins are going to give him 3 or 4 years, and the number will be about exactly what he's making now (maybe the same or $250K more if it's 3 years, and maybe $250-500K less if it's 4 years).

As for Blueger, I said that I would be happy to get rid of him IF we sign another C. Given how Carter performed, he's no Jordan Staal (prototypical big, 2-way C who can log big minutes). I would very much like to improve on Blueger if we can. But we cannot just trade him away for a pick without having another, better C to take his place. So because I've said this a few times now, you don't need to convince me about Blueger's shortcomings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad