Confirmed with Link: Bryan Rust re-signs 5.125 AAV (6 years)

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
How can anyone not like this deal? If we're not going into full tank & rebuild mode, this is exactly what we need to see.

Next up, Rakell I bet.

I think they'll try to lock up these wingers and then see how their budget is shaping up and see what they could afford to offer Geno and Letang.

The $ is ok, 6 years is about 2 too many.

Not really. It's maybe 1 year too many and who cares -- do you have any idea how bad we'll be in year 5 & 6 of that deal?

I don't know who the first overall pick will be in 2027 or 2028, but we'll be going after those guys then.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I was thinking $6.5 x 5 as the low end.

Considering this will be Rust's only big contract of his career, that says a lot about his character to leave millions on the table.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
How can anyone not like this deal? If we're not going into full tank & rebuild mode, this is exactly what we need to see.

Next up, Rakell I bet.

I think they'll try to lock up these wingers and then see how their budget is shaping up and see what they could afford to offer Geno and Letang.

Not really. It's maybe 1 year too many and who cares -- do you have any idea how bad we'll be in year 5 & 6 of that deal?

I don't know who the first overall pick will be in 2027 or 2028, but we'll be going after those guys then.
Prioritizing Rakell over Malkin and Letang is not optimal

I was thinking $6.5 x 5 as the low end.

Considering this will be Rust's only big contract of his career, that says a lot about his character to leave millions on the table.
He didn't. What team was going to give him 6 years but us?

Reactions: Pens x

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Next up, Rakell I bet.

I didn’t want Rust back but hard to say no at this deal.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
XYbAuIO.gif

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010

None of the Penguins reporters have sources. I don't think Rob even talks to Malkin anymore, he probably just talks to a recording of Malkin he took 7 years ago and makes up answers.

Dreger had this and 15 minutes late the Pens reporters 'confirm.' WTF? Why wouldn't the team let them know first if they respected them?

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I didn’t want Rust back but hard to say no at this deal.

I did want Rust back (unless we were going full tank), and I'm thrilled at this deal. I thought we coudl get him for 6-6.25, so it's hard not to be very happy with this. It's doing wonders for my roster & salary cap spreadsheet for next year....if we're going to spend the extra money on other good players of course!

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Prioritizing Rakell over Malkin and Letang is not optimal

He didn't. What team was going to give him 6 years but us?

I'm not saying they are. I'm saying I think they will use the signings of the wingers to figure out how much they can pay the other guys, and if they'll have money left over to pay someone else.

And for all of the bluster & speculation that Letang is doing to go get some 5 year x 8M or 9M deal, I've just never been able to see it.

If Letang loves PIT (which like Rust, we know he does), why would he not go 4 x 7 or 7.25 at the end of the day?

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC

None of the Penguins reporters have sources. I don't think Rob even talks to Malkin anymore, he probably just talks to a recording of Malkin he took 7 years ago and makes up answers.

Dreger had this and 15 minutes late the Pens reporters 'confirm.' WTF? Why wouldn't the team let them know first if they respected them?

He’s making up more bullshit now :laugh:

Reactions: Trade

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I did want Rust back (unless we were going full tank), and I'm thrilled at this deal. I thought we coudl get him for 6-6.25, so it's hard not to be very happy with this. It's doing wonders for my roster & salary cap spreadsheet for next year....if we're going to spend the extra money on other good players of course!
Who do you see Pens picking up now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad