Bryan Murray states he "certainly didn't want Tarasenko"

OnlyTheBrave*

At the 13:00:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150669204510585&oid=254660295467&comments

He didn't phrase it that way, but talking about the Rundblad deal, he says, "We certainly didn't want the player (St. Louis) took."

Seems odd for a GM to say that.

It just means the guy they wanted at their pick wasn't realistically going to drop to them and so they made a deal to get something they wanted instead of what was available to them at that pick.

People read way too much into things and drive themselves nuts.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I still think Zubov and Nikulin could have given it a bit of a better shake.

They came in after the Series loss to Anaheim. I'm quite sure that they saw the drastic change in the organizations philosophy. Bigger, tougher guys were signed and depth players were signed to 1-way deals who would block their chance at the NHL. Zubov stayed for 3 training camps and led Bingo in scoring in his 2nd year. Nikulin went home a little quicker, but after the loss to Anaheim... I don't think there's much they could have done to remain in the organizations plans.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I was expecting to hear some clips from a draft "fly on the wall" type thing, and then I was planning on going on a rant about how whats said in private should remain their, and that everyone says stuff in private they would not say in person.

Then I clicked the link and saw it was an interview.

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
From what I've heard, the player they really wanted was Skinner. I guess they had their fingers crossed that he could be available at 16. Once he was snatched up (a bit earlier than he was projected) the ball went back to St Louis who would only make the deal with Ottawa if Tarasenko was available at #16. He was and voila...great deal for both teams.

As for who Ottawa would have selected if the trade didn't happen. I heard they really liked Beau Bennett, so I'd have guessed him.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
He's probably trying to send the "loud and clear" message that the team is not going to be drafting any Russians any time soon. I don't blame them, either. With the difficulties Russians have had with the Senators, and the NHL in general, it would be a bad idea to waste a draft pick on that type of player.

I'm so happy with that trade Murray made. I don't see a better player on the board than Rundblad when Murray was selecting.

That's just so irrational. "With the difficulties Russians have had with the Senators", as if it made sense to assume this was some specific Ottawa problem. Overall, there is not a single case of a Russian 1RP refusing to report to the NHL. Not one. Ever. A very small number, all of whom except Radulov have in common a lack of NHL success, have decided to prematurely leave NA hockey. Not much of a basis for the ridiculously overblown "Russian problem". In any case, at least they should base whatever policy they choose on generalised lessons from the NHL as a whole, not onm unfortunate experiences with a handful of recent Sens prospects. That is truly irrational.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad