Bryan Murray states he "certainly didn't want Tarasenko"

Pyke*

Obviously 100% because of the ''Russian factor''.

Yeah, I get that. We (Ottawa) seem to have a policy of "We don't draft Russians", which I'm cool with given how few of them play in the league these days compared to even a decade ago...

However, it's still odd for a GM to be so.. I don't know, honest? About another team's player?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think it might be a clumsy way of saying Tarasenko wasn't highest on their list at this stage because of the trade being painted as a Tarasenko vs Rundblad deal. For Ottawa it probably never was.

Pyke*

I think it might be a clumsy way of saying Tarasenko wasn't highest on their list at this stage because of the trade being painted as a Tarasenko vs Rundblad deal. For Ottawa it probably never was.

I know Tarasenko was never on Ottawa's radar. I still find it odd. He could have simply said, "St. Louis wanted their player, and the guy we had wanted had been taken."

Milan the God*

He's probably trying to send the "loud and clear" message that the team is not going to be drafting any Russians any time soon. I don't blame them, either. With the difficulties Russians have had with the Senators, and the NHL in general, it would be a bad idea to waste a draft pick on that type of player.

I'm so happy with that trade Murray made. I don't see a better player on the board than Rundblad when Murray was selecting.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Meh, who cares? He's saying Tarasenko wasn't tops on their list. I'm sure several other GM's wouldn't pick him there either. Sens didnt want Tarasenko, Blues did, and it worked out well for both sides.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
After being asked why the Oilers didn't take Parise in an interview I recall Pendergast (Oilers head scout at the time) basically saying 'If we wanted that player we would have taken that player.'

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
After being asked why the Oilers didn't take Parise in an interview I recall Pendergast (Oilers head scout at the time) basically saying 'If we wanted that player we would have taken that player.'

Exactly. For better or for worse, scouts realize they need to make a decision, and once they do the decision is final.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Nightmares about Yashin?

Muckler drafted a lot of players who had great seasons/careers in the RSl/KHL. They either didn't come over or weren't committed to improving in the minors (Kaigorodov, Atyushev, Mirnov, Bashkirov, etc).

I'm not counting Zubov and Nikulin who I believe gave it a fair shot, but just happened to come over at a bad time.

schronote

Sep 15, 2008
I remember hearing it was in fact Schwartz at 14. Murray stated it was a forward and he wasn't ready to make trade until LA was on clock with 15. Considering a dman was taken 12, 13, and 15 it is pretty obvious it was Schwartz and 14.

Buckleys

Jul 21, 2006
Muckler drafted a lot of players who had great seasons/careers in the RSl/KHL. They either didn't come over or weren't committed to improving in the minors (Kaigorodov, Atyushev, Mirnov, Bashkirov, etc).

I'm not counting Zubov and Nikulin who I believe gave it a fair shot, but just happened to come over at a bad time.

I still think Zubov and Nikulin could have given it a bit of a better shake. Also Lyamin, Anikeyenko, Gimayev and Megalinsky were some other defensemen we drafted out of Russian that never came over. Murray was especially pissed about Bashkirov.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Ya, doesn't shock me. Since Stu took over for us, we haven't really been jumping on any Russian players either. I think Edm and Ott are both staying clear of any Russian players unless we are looking at a potential franchise player that is 100% committed to playing in NA.

Eaglepride*

Whats the big deal? Murray is sending a clear message to everyone (including other GMs) "we wont sign draft/sign any Russians in the near future" I think its an honest statement.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Whats the big deal? Murray is sending a clear message to everyone (including other GMs) "we wont sign draft/sign any Russians in the near future" I think its an honest statement.

I think he might settle for Nail Yakupov though

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3