Bryan Bickell

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Chicago Blackhawks put Bickell on waivers any thoughts?

Stay way the hell away from him. Provides too little of what Detroit needs for far too much money.

E: Plus, even though we are in the East and Chicago is out West... I'm not about to help Chicago out with their cap issues and let them get out of a bad deal.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Would they take Ericsson and would ericsson waive his NTC to go there? If so, yeah, I'd take Bickell. That, or if Chicago eats 50% of the salary and takes Kindl.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Would they take Ericsson and would ericsson waive his NTC to go there? If so, yeah, I'd take Bickell. That, or if Chicago eats 50% of the salary and takes Kindl.

I'd probably do that. But I don't know how he fits long-term. So probably pass. It would be more to unload Big E.

I want Shattenkirk so gosh darn bad.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

Which would you rather have?

Andreas Athanasiou up (683k) and Kindl in the AHL (1.5M) or Bryan Bickell up @ 50% (2.25M) and Athanasiou down.

And for as bad as Ericsson is, he would do more for the Red Wings in their efforts to win games than Bryan Bickell would. I have very little interest in Bryan Bickell the player at almost any cost and certainly have almost negative interest in him @ 4M AAV for two more years.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I'll also admit I have no idea what Bickell is now. I just remember that playoff run lol.

I just looked up his gamelog for 2015-16... Yikes.

I want even less to do with him than I did before. He's got two assists in 23 games. He is 100% hot garbage. He parlayed one good playoffs into that abomination of a deal and has done nothing with it.

Wings already have their version of Bickell on a worse contract. Pass.

No. Abdelkader's a better player than Bryan Bickell. And his contract is only "worse" because Bickell's already halfway through that abomination of a contract that was signed under a lower cap value and necessitated things like trading away Patrick Sharp and a highly touted prospect to get under the cap.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
giphy.gif

Sorry, but this is quite possibly the worst idea ever.

As someone who watches a lot of Blackhawks games, the dude is terrible.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'd probably do that. But I don't know how he fits long-term. So probably pass. It would be more to unload Big E.

I want Shattenkirk so gosh darn bad.

Bingo. Bickell isn't any better, but his deal is a lot shorter. I'd suffer through one more year of Bickell if it meant being out from under Ericsson's deal.

Which would you rather have?

Andreas Athanasiou up (683k) and Kindl in the AHL (1.5M) or Bryan Bickell up @ 50% (2.25M) and Athanasiou down.

And for as bad as Ericsson is, he would do more for the Red Wings in their efforts to win games than Bryan Bickell would. I have very little interest in Bryan Bickell the player at almost any cost and certainly have almost negative interest in him @ 4M AAV for two more years.

Ericsson's deal is for several years longer than Bickell's, and Bickell we can more easily bury up front than we can bury Ericsson on the backend. Honestly, I'm fine with Athanasiou down if it meant we got Bickell's shorter deal. Not sure what it would matter, though, since Athanasiou is down anyway. And next year we'd more likely to make room for Athanasiou by letting Helm and/or Miller walk than anything else.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Bingo. Bickell isn't any better, but his deal is a lot shorter. I'd suffer through one more year of Bickell if it meant being out from under Ericsson's deal.

Ericsson's deal is for several years longer than Bickell's, and Bickell we can more easily bury up front than we can bury Ericsson on the backend. Honestly, I'm fine with Athanasiou down if it meant we got Bickell's shorter deal. Not sure what it would matter, though, since Athanasiou is down anyway. And next year we'd more likely to make room for Athanasiou by letting Helm and/or Miller walk than anything else.

Ericsson is a usable player on a middle or bottom pairing. Bickell is garbage and would not be useful for the Wings in pretty much any capacity. I don't care if Bickells got a shorter deal.

The Wings aren't in any kind of cap crunch (outside of this self made 66M cap this year to keep bonuses in line and all that). Dumping Ericsson for the sake of dumping Ericsson and getting a garbage winger on a team full of good wingers, who don't have enough spaces as it is, is stupid asset management.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006

I think people are overreacting a little bit to the severity of E's deal. It's not great, obviously, but as long as he's mostly upright it's not bad enough that we need to start absorbing bad contracts to get away from it.

Market value he's probably a 3-3.5 guy. Being overpaid 750k-1.25m isn't the end of the world.

And next year we'd more likely to make room for Athanasiou by letting Helm and/or Miller walk than anything else.

I'd bet on Andersson not being back before Helm and/or Miller. Unless he totally breaks down Miller's a lock to come back. If Helm will sign for 2ish per he'll be back. Andersson's gone.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Ericsson is a usable player on a middle or bottom pairing. Bickell is garbage and would not be useful for the Wings in pretty much any capacity. I don't care if Bickells got a shorter deal.

The Wings aren't in any kind of cap crunch (outside of this self made 66M cap this year to keep bonuses in line and all that). Dumping Ericsson for the sake of dumping Ericsson and getting a garbage winger on a team full of good wingers, who don't have enough spaces as it is, is stupid asset management.

Quincey has been a useful player in on that second pair, too. Marchenko's looked good this year, Smith has found his game lately, and I'd be pretty comfortable with XO on that third pairing right now. After Green, Kronwall, and Dekeyser, I think we could chuck our D into a hat and on any given night get a decent game out of whoever we pulled out. Okay, maybe not Kindl... .;)

And we are in a bit of a cap crunch. You can say it's self made, but it's still there, and Holland's sticking to it because he's looking at a real cap crunch next year. At that point, I think Bickell would be easier to move off the roster entirely if we eat a bit of the salary - if it came to that.

I think people are overreacting a little bit to the severity of E's deal. It's not great, obviously, but as long as he's mostly upright it's not bad enough that we need to start absorbing bad contracts to get away from it.

Market value he's probably a 3-3.5 guy. Being overpaid 750k-1.25m isn't the end of the world.

I'd bet on Andersson not being back before Helm and/or Miller. Unless he totally breaks down Miller's a lock to come back. If Helm will sign for 2ish per he'll be back. Andersson's gone.

Agree about Andersson being the first out the door, and I expect Miller to be here for life. I think we'll see him take a cheaper deal just to make it happen. I think Helm could get caught in a cap crunch, and will sign elsewhere. We have around $57m committed to next year, and needing to re-sign Pulkkinen, Dekeyser, Sheahan, and Mrazek. $10m among those four? Maybe, probably. So, we're at $67m and only 18 guys signed. If the cap goes up, we're fine. If it doesn't, Helm will stand a good chance of being forced out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad