Confirmed with Link: Brunner hits the open market, signs with Devils

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
This is too bad, I liked Brunner a lot. I can understand why they didn't want to commit big money to him, though.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
They can still land him if he somehow agrees to take a short (maybe 1yr deal) so they can better assess him in an 82 game season.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Brunner was tough to evaluate. Started out great but purely one way guy. Slumped in the second half of season. Played okay in playoffs on offensive end but defensively a liability. I'm okay with not overpaying him based on 1/2 a season but hope it doesn't come back to haunt us.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 3s
Brunner look at several options. fit very important to him; not just about money

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Brunner should sign with a team starving for offense, much like Detroit was last year. A team like Florida or Phoenix could likely get a lot of mileage out of his offensive abilities. Brunner would've been a 2nd liner at best here, where as he is one of the main weapons on one of those teams.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Detroit Red Wings ‏@DetroitRedWings 1m
Holland on Brunner: "We made a 2 & 3 year offer prior to noon today. He made the decision to test the market." #ATTExtendedCoverage

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Detroit Red Wings ‏@DetroitRedWings 1m
Holland on Brunner: "We made a 2 & 3 year offer prior to noon today. He made the decision to test the market." #ATTExtendedCoverage

He obviously is looking for his big payday.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
The impression I get is that Detroit gave him offers, he didn't take them so they went out and signed a couple of other skill guys who really wanted to come. Pretty much indicating he wasn't worth waiting for, cus you have to imagine he would be circling back for offers. Will be interesting to see what teams are really high on him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think a lot of us expected him and his agent to work on getting an offer and using it as a template for Detroit maybe taking a little less but coming back with it. What he learned today is an unfortunate professional lesson. Alfie opened up and his spot was taken away. Weiss was going to remain a priority because of position fit.

It just broke wrong for him if he really wanted to come back and his last chance was to accept the offers before lunch, he couldn't come back with another one and I think that was his plan.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Purely on fit, he's crazy to leave Zetterberg's wing.

But that's exactly it. He wasn't playing there at the end of the season. With 2 top 6 forward signings + Nyquist and Tatar pushing for time there, he's not gonna get it here. Sucks to lose him because I like him a lot, but I understand it.

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
Do you guys remember if they floated the idea of going multi-year on his first deal? I just wonder if they thought he was a legit top 6 guys why they wouldn't have gambled and went multi year but guessing maybe he was only interested in 1 year.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
He obviously is looking for his big payday.

Just a guess, but I think it's more than that. The guy came in as a rookie, led the team in scoring only to get demoted, then benched and questioned in the media. It's not beyond the pale that that entire experience soured him.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Just a guess, but I think it's more than that. The guy came in as a rookie, led the team in scoring only to get demoted, then benched and questioned in the media. It's not beyond the pale that that entire experience soured him.

he went on a pretty major slump for a while

if anything the Wings waited longer than they should have to demote him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad