Brule/Johnson similiar to Nash/Bowmeester?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reilly311

Douggy said:
Is it possible that one of these guys is just going to go higher because of the needs of the team picking second?

Hell yeah, if the Pens have the second pick, why would they pick Johnson when they have over a billion defensive prospects and have ONE good NHL impact forward in Malkin? The only bottom teams I could see taking Johnson over Brule is the Rangers, Hurricans, or maybe the Coyotes. Maybe Columbus too.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Douggy said:
The Brule vs. Johnson debate seems to be very similar to the Nash vs. Bowmeester debate from a few years ago.

Is it possible that one of these guys is just going to go higher because of the needs of the team picking second?

I agree with Reilly's assessment, although the "best player available" quotient could come into play. Then the question arises, who is better: Brule or Johnson?

X0ssbar

Reilly311 said:
Hell yeah, if the Pens have the second pick, why would they pick Johnson when they have over a billion defensive prospects and have ONE good NHL impact forward in Malkin? The only bottom teams I could see taking Johnson over Brule is the Rangers, Hurricans, or maybe the Coyotes. Maybe Columbus too.

Columbus would be all over Johnson.

If Pitt and Chicago, two defensive prospect top heave teams, are in a position to draft Johnson but would rather draft offense - Columbus would be the perfect dance partner.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Reilly311 said:
You make a good point, but I think the list is even shorter...maybe just Columbus. I think that as special as a Jack Johnson promises to be, there is a much bigger risk in taking him over Brule, simply because of the wait in most cases of D men to develop at the NHL level.

Look no further than Klesla, or maybe more importantly Bouwmeester. I think J BO has an extremely high ceiling, but on that team, he lacks the help to get him to be that huge impact guy at this point. Whereas you look at Nash, who by the way is an incredible young player, he took the bull by the horns, and even with very little help on that team, he has emerged as a real stud forward. I think that Brule has very similar potential, and although he may have fallen in the ISS rankings, I feel he is the real deal, and is 2nd only to Sidney Crosby in this upcoming draft.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Which pair would everyone rather have? Brule/Johnson or Nash/Bouwmeester?

Which pair is/was hyped more? I think Bouwmeester was hyped much more than Johnson and for good reason, but I think Brule has been hyped more than Nash. I think Nash has been a pleasant surprise as he's been a lot more productive than what many thought at first. Most probably thought he could score 40 goals in 5 years or so, not in his 2nd season.

That being said i'd rather take Nash/Bouwmeester myself, although I think Brule will have a better career than Nash.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Reilly311 said:

Not the Coyotes, all things being equal.

They have a D-core that is ready now - Mara, Morris, Tanabe, Gauthier with prospects Spiller and Ballard.

What they need is impact forwards, not to wait for another defenseman. Still, if they think Johnson is a lot better.. they should probably trade down a spot and take Brule anyway.

Reilly311

trahans99 said:
That being said i'd rather take Nash/Bouwmeester myself

you'd take Nash because he's a good player and not because he played for the London Knights right?

Reilly311

Puckhead said:
You make a good point, but I think the list is even shorter...maybe just Columbus.

The Rangers need a denfenseman, unless they get Crosby (god help us all) they need a franchise defenseman and Jack Johnson is perfect for that team because he's American (Brian Leetch anyone?). Same thing with the Coyotes, they have some good defensive prospects, but Johnson should be the better NHL player and by a large margin. None of their defensemen can play 30 mins if they need to.

I personally think with Doan, Nagy, and all the FA's they signed that they'll have enough offense for awhile. Brule would be a nice player to have, but it would be more of a luxury to have him instead of Johnson on the back end for the dogs. The Canes don't have any impact defensemen at all.

I think it would be interesting to see what route Florida would go if they had the #2 pick.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Gwyddbwyll said:
What they need is impact forwards, not to wait for another defenseman. Still, if they think Johnson is a lot better.. they should probably trade down a spot and take Brule anyway.

Brule? Johnson? No, no, no... if the Yotes pick #5 Overall again they will pick....

Colin Greening, RW, Upper Canada College (Cdn. high school)

Suprise! Again!

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Reilly311 said:
you'd take Nash because he's a good player and not because he played for the London Knights right?

:loony:

Did you not read what I said??? I said Brule will have a better career than Nash :shakehead

I'm saying Nash/Bowmeester because I think JBo has a larger upside than Johnson and Nash is a very solid player, maybe star one day.

I see Brule as a better player than Nash, but Jbo > Johnson by along shot IMO.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Reilly311 said:
I agree with that. Also, the team that drafts Johnson may have to wait a year or two before he's even in the NHL, let alone making an impact. Brule at least is playing at a level of play that is a decent stepping-stone to the NHL game.

BlueBleeder

Sep 28, 2004
Looking for others

I don't think the Coyotes deserve to be mentioned with the bottom teams of the league. THey made some nice pick ups and would have been a very solid team this year. Only real question mark would have been goaltending with Johnson and Boucher.

Reilly311

BlueBleeder said:
I don't think the Coyotes deserve to be mentioned with the bottom teams of the league. THey made some nice pick ups and would have been a very solid team this year. Only real question mark would have been goaltending with Johnson and Boucher.

Yeah I suppose, I was just going off last year.

Reilly311

trahans99 said:

You've never even seen Johnson play and since you don't watch the Florida Panthers, you've never seen JBo play. There will be plenty of players that will have a better career than Nash. That's not the point. You're taking Nash because he dawned the great London Knights jersey.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
trahans99 said:
:loony:

Did you not read what I said??? I said Brule will have a better career than Nash :shakehead

I'm saying Nash/Bowmeester because I think JBo has a larger upside than Johnson and Nash is a very solid player, maybe star one day.

How has your opinion been formed? Have you ever seen Jack Johnson play? He's got alot going for him that Bouwmeester doesn't, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad