Sportsnet Bruins Won't Be Big Players in Trade Market.....And Really Don't Have to Be

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Shockingly a positive story about the Bruins from Sports" We Represent Canada but Really Only Care About Toronto Based Teams "net. :amazed:

from today's sportsnet.ca:

It’s Thursday night in Boston, and the Bruins are in the midst of playing a game at TD Garden that evokes the question: What do you give a team that has it all?

At some point between David Pastrnak opening the scoring 44 seconds in and closing it with 22 seconds to go to cap a hat trick that cements the Bruins’ 5-2 win over the Colorado Avalanche, it becomes clear the most obvious answer is the right one — nothing.

Not that the Bruins have been perfect through their first 44 games in the post-Patrice Bergeron/David Krejci era. They’ve just been arguably the best team in the NHL, with a 71.6-points percentage punctuated by this current seven-game point streak that’s brought them closer and closer to meeting their own excessively high standard.

Just how close are they?

Of this little three-game winning streak over St. Louis, New Jersey and Colorado, Bruins coach Jim Montgomery was unequivocal in his assessment.

“I think the last three games might be the best three games we’ve had all year, even including the start,” he said after Thursday’s domination of the Avs.

Full story: Bruins lack resources to be big players on trade market, and that's just fine

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
To think they were salivating over the Bruins making an historic drop between last season's points and this season. It must kill them to write something like this. I went to watch the Recap from the game last night and it was just 2 mins - the goals, no replays, no breakdown at all.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
To think they were salivating over the Bruins making an historic drop between last season's points and this season. It must kill them to write something like this. I went to watch the Recap from the game last night and it was just 2 mins - the goals, no replays, no breakdown at all.
Maybe they're just building the Bruins up so ( not that it will EVER happen ) that if the Leafs could actually knock them out of the Playoffs it will be that much more impressive. :laugh:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah I never really got that narrative. They lost talent but at the end of the day they still have an elite goaltending situation, McAvoy/Lindholm/Carlo, and Pastrnak/Brad. It was never gonna get ugly here. Maybe wild card but not ugly

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Canadian media did not say the bruins would fall off the earth btw. If anything the local media in Toronto had Boston as a top 5-10 team still.

Bruins fans were more pessimistic than the Canadian media…

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Canadian media did not say the bruins would fall off the earth btw. If anything the local media in Toronto had Boston as a top 5-10 team still.

I heard it with my own ears, I can't recall who said it because it was before the season started.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Broons do have their first-round pick next year, it's just that if this year's pick is a top 10, then Detroit gets next year's first rounder instead.

Obviously, da Broons won't be picking in the top 10 this year.

Reactions: BMC

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

They may not all have been saying it but they sure were all hoping it.Lol

Reactions: caz16

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Unless you can move Ullmark for a piece that’s under team control and part of the picture moving forward, best to stand pat or execute some very minor moves along the margins.

The team has thus far overachieved, but I don’t see a move that puts them over the top and makes them prohibitive favorite, nor do they have the resources to make such a move.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Unless you can move Ullmark for a piece that’s under team control and part of the picture moving forward, best to stand pat or execute some very minor moves along the margins.

The team has thus far overachieved, but I don’t see a move that puts them over the top and makes them prohibitive favorite, nor do they have the resources to make such a move.

Please no.

I really need to see the Ullmark-Swayman tandem (actually used) in the playoffs. I’d hate if either goaltender is moved prior to the offseason.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL

If they go in, it has to be players with term.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Looks like ribs and head. A two-fer and neither looked pleasant.
Jeesh.... scratch that. No I see he got dinged again last night. This time right on the button.

You'd think with all the head issues he's had he'd be more aware. Definitely not blaming him, but wow. Just from a self preservation pov putting head down low like that against the boards without at least a peak to see who's coming is dangerous.

I guess we'd said that about Carlo a lot as well.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Sportsnet/TSN has been sketchy for years on Bruins content. It’s like they go out of their way to not acknowledging their existence. Even highlights would get half the time every other team in the league would get.

Even centre ice has shenanigans up here. The Ava game was no where to be found in my area which I thought was odd but it’s not the first time that Bruin games just aren’t available.

Boston seems to get a fairer shake on radio up here. Programs like Overdrive at least recognize Boston has a team in the nhl and will spend time speaking about them.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
I don’t want them making trades at the deadline. Stop giving away draft picks. Start restocking young players. So go in with what they got, and then free agency get the important pieces needed. (Not third or fourth liners they got that covered).

As much as they are having success in the regular season I truly don’t believe they have enough to handle a playoff run, and they don’t have the assets to get the missing pieces which is why I think Free agency is their best spot to get what they need. Maybe they surprise in the playoffs and get hot at the right time but not expecting it.

If Sweeney spends draft capital to bring in a middling player that ends up replacing like Potrias in the line up I won’t be happy. They need these young guys to start to be counted on rather than pushed to the side for safety players.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

We usually are.

Also, if they said it, they said it before the season started.

Doubtless TSN, etc. are waiting to pounce.

Reactions: Kegs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad