Post-Game Talk: Bruins Win Season Opener 3-1

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Positives-
Kelly line looked good-even Caron but instill want Yeti back ASAP.
Krejci and Bergeron lines seem to be gelling.
Iginla was meant to be a Bruin.
PK looked great.
Tuukka really did well especially during the 5 on 3's.

Negatives-

Slow start-rough second especially.
Defense wasn't awful but it clearly needs some time to work more in sync-the Tampa goal was due to poor decision making by the D.
Refs-blown call with the early whistle and some weak penalties called. Refs clearly needed more pre season games too.

Overall I am pleased with the result but I think the team needs to play better on Saturday-Detroit isn't Tampa.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
tumblr_mu4etesDep1qdq2bfo1_500.jpg

Looks like Iggy found his nasty side again. I approve.

Bergeron37

Mar 16, 2010
I give most of the credit to Rask for this win. Great job especially on the 5 on 3s.

Also, Bergeron. Thought he played very well.

And nasty shot by Looch.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
First half of the game Caron was the best Bruin forward.

Hamilton also had a great start.

Three filthy goals from the Bruins.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Just in from the game...

I was shocked at how many "fans" left the game early. :help:

Tuukka looked great.

Nice to see that third line looking better. I thought Caron had a decent game.

Bergy and Looch with pretty goals. Nice p. shot for Kelly.

Big Z was following Malone around all night and yelling at him and shoving him...etc . Every shift Z would watch for him and follow him. Bad blood there for sure.

Marchy looked sad . After every pre game skate he and Seggy used to be the last off the ice and do this little throw the puck at the net and have Tyler try to put it in from behind the net. They did this EVERY home game. I am sure Brad will be fine but I did not see one smile from him tonight and that made me a little sad.

Nice to see the B's get better at the end of the second period. We thought they were a little flat before that.

Next up Detroit...

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
Some thoughts:

- Sluggish first 30 minutes or so. Luckily Rask was a beast early on

- An extension of the first point - too many 2 on 1s against early on

- PP.....well, Rome wasn't built in a day.

- The PK was huge....again... especially early on.

- Iggy seemed fired up from the get go. Had a good hit early and kept that intensity going. He certainly isn't afraid to shoot, that's for sure.

- I definitely liked Loui. Not flashy but very efficient. Very Bergy-like. He always seems to be around the puck.

-That Bergy line showed some glimpses of what it can be on the offensive side and once they start clicking the Bruins are going to have 2 very scary lines, hopefully a solid secondary line, and Merlot, who always cause havoc.

- The 3rd line surpassed my conservative expectation. My summer-long Kelly support seems justified (at least for 1 night) and Caron was noticeable for the right reasons.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Loui was awesome. He wasn't impressive in the preseason aside from his goal, but he's a smart player so maybe he realizes (unlike many on this forum) that the preseason is not the time to play balls to the wall hockey. Tonight he was so good. I totally see the Bergy comparisons now. That shift where he went one on 3 on the forecheck while the other 4 Bruins changed lines was a thing of beauty. Combine that with his puck skills and we've got a winner.

Marchand...man what can I say about him? Dude's motor is always going. He looked extremely dangerous tonight. I hate that his agitator reputation seemingly overshadows his skills...nobody around the hockey world seems to think of him as a skill player but he might be the most purely skilled guy on the team and one of the shiftiest guys in the league.

Krug is soooooo fast.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I watched the first and most of the third. (I am not as rabid anymore. believe me that is a good thing).

Anyway, It was a pretty good opener. I will try not to jump to conclusions, like I used to, but I still like to go with my gut reactions to things.

The good:
1. Rask looked solid. He still "swims a bit much for me but he was obviously quite good.
2. All four lines contributed.
3. I am not excited but that was definitely Caron's best game as a pro.He had some decent one's his first year, but that was his best.
4. Hamilton looks more sure of himself and a little faster.
5 Kelly looks better this year.

The bad there is only one thing, but it is an important thing.
Neither Ericson nor Iginla looked like they had good legs.....I would expect that from Iggy, but not Eriksson. (They are really going to miss Horton.)

I missed the second period and Brick said Tampa outplayed them 5 on 5, but I was impressed.

man I'm sick of this myth that Caron has never done anything impressive in a Bruins jersey. He's had several really solid games. This was one of his best, but his best game is definitely the one where he had 2 goals and an assist against the leafs in 2012 and it's not even close.

Anyway if he keeps this up I could totally live with Smith sitting when Yeti comes back. We might end up seeing 3rd line wingers rotate as much as 6th d-men are going to.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Not a great game until the last few minutes of the second...Krejci was making some sweet passes out there - great release by Looch on his goal. Liked Krug's game as well.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Caron did look very good...it is definitely one of his best games in the NHL, and he certainly looks much better than what Soderberg has shown, but he needs to bring it consistently..and if so, he merits this chance he has been given.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Wasn't sure what to think of Krug, could have had a hot playoffs ala Hunwick a few years ago (remember him looking good first time or so up with bruins)

However kid looks like a keeper.

If I am sitting anyone to get Bart in, it's Quaider or whoever needs a maintenance day

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I don't understand people whining about Horton.

I really didn't hate the guy, but all people did was complain about his play for the most part...then he leaves and it's like "oh, we'll really miss him", "oh, we'll really miss his nasty streak" LOLWUT? Are people really that broken up about it?

I'll never forget what he did during the 2011 playoffs, but IMO, his good moments were few and far between. If he really had a desire for a "new start" in Columbus, I was more than happy to let him go. Every year was a question with him, as to how he was going to perform (heck, every game). I'm more confident in Iginla's consistency than Horton's.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Wasn't sure what to think of Krug, could have had a hot playoffs ala Hunwick a few years ago (remember him looking good first time or so up with bruins)

If I am sitting anyone to get Bart in, it's Quaider or whoever needs a maintenance day

Krug is legit, Hunwick was vastly inconsistent and then just bad.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Hunwick never looked the same after he ruptured his spleen during the Montreal series.

Krug looks like a keeper. His hockey IQ is the real deal. He looks completely fine out there. It took Dougie awhile to get the feel of the game last year. Kruger looks like hes been playing for years. Hope he continues to impress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad