Post-Game Talk: Bruins win 3-1 - Tuukka gets his birthday wish

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins using caution with David Pastrnak and Ryan Spooner-Young linemates need experience
OTTAWA – David Pastrnak is 18 years old. Ryan Spooner, 23, is a third-year pro, but has never been regarded as a reliable defensive center.

As such, the linemates will find themselves in hairy defensive situations. They are second-line players skating with Milan Lucic, so they will play tough competition. It is up to the coaching staff to determine when to give Spooner and Pastrnak rope, or take away their shifts for more experienced defensive players.

“Those young guys are good players for us,†said coach Claude Julien. “They need to play when it’s necessary. In order for them to get better, they need to play. At some point, if I see they’re having trouble . . . they did last game a little bit. Then you’ve got to make sure to make those adjustments. They bring a lot to our lineup. A lot more positive than negative. I’m going to stick with those guys to continue to evolve and get better.â€

Spooner and Pastrnak are the future. Spooner could be Soderberg’s replacement as the No. 3 center. Pastrnak projects to be a top-two right wing. They’re learning three-zone play on the fly. But with their team fighting for a playoff spot, their coach isn’t ready to take off the defensive leash just yet.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...yan-spooner/pcZia5XSV49p347CLXUFqO/story.html

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Claude is saying all the right things, and he is totally right. scheme around them.

lol did you guys hear about the prank they played on 88 yesterday?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Have the Bruins finally incorporated diving into their game plan? Three games in a row..

Hope to not see anymore whining in the GDT's when other teams do it from now on.

Are you talking about Campbell last night? He clearly had a hockey stick twist trapped between his legs.

Not saying our guys don't do it (I've never said that), but I'll hate the action regardless of who is doing the diving. That includes Bergeron the other night.

I don't think the call on Campbell was the right one however.

TootSweet

Sep 22, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Are you talking about Campbell last night? He clearly had a hockey stick twist trapped between his legs.

Not saying our guys don't do it (I've never said that), but I'll hate the action regardless of who is doing the diving. That includes Bergeron the other night.

Campbell was furious after that call. Told ref "I never dove once in my career" or something along those lines.
I thought the call on his was a bit laughable but we ended up scoring on the 4v4 so whatever.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

I don't know if you caught the "Behind the B" episode in which Marchand visited the league's situation room in Toronto, but all plays are reviewed, and if deemed to be incorrect, diving calls are expunged from a player's record. That's what happened to Marchand - he'd been called twice, and both were overturned. I assume the same thing will happen with Campbell.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Same old story. Get lead. Clode puts them in "sit on lead" mode too soon. They get sloppy. Other team pushes hard.

Wise man once said....when you have them down....step on their throat.

But instead, in the 3rd period with a lead, Clode plays to "Not lose" instead of playing to win.

Except he doesn't do that. There have been plenty of times when the Bruins are in that situation and he's told them not to let up, keep pressing the attack. If you watch him during games, listen to what the players say afterward, you'd know that. Of course he doesn't want them taking huge risks with a late lead - no coach would. But he's not "sitting on a lead" for an entire period. No competent coach would do that either.

ANY team with a late lead is going to face pushback, unless their opponent simply gives up, and that's pretty rare at this level.

OutspokenMinority*

Have the Bruins finally incorporated diving into their game plan? Three games in a row..

Hope to not see anymore whining in the GDT's when other teams do it from now on.

The Campbell dive call was simply a bad call. He was just trying to fight through the check. I don't necessarily even mind an occasional bogus dive call just to keep people honest (especially if they are expunged as someone mentioned), but that call really was completely bogus.

Campbell just doesn't have it in him to waste his ice time that way, imo.

Killerbeez

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Ellsworth, Maine
none
Yes have to say David injury possible saved Spooner from being moved. Nice to see him helping the b's down the stretch.

Hard to say, but I hope he sees it that way. If he wants to stay, he'll keep playing focused, desperate hockey down the stretch. He can play his way onto the team for good if he sustains the effort.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
11049576_10205386590396932_7987858463935056720_n.jpg

11025699_10205387080889194_3192568496797072004_o.jpg

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Bruins using caution with David Pastrnak and Ryan Spooner-Young linemates need experience
OTTAWA – David Pastrnak is 18 years old. Ryan Spooner, 23, is a third-year pro, but has never been regarded as a reliable defensive center.

As such, the linemates will find themselves in hairy defensive situations. They are second-line players skating with Milan Lucic, so they will play tough competition. It is up to the coaching staff to determine when to give Spooner and Pastrnak rope, or take away their shifts for more experienced defensive players.

“Those young guys are good players for us,” said coach Claude Julien. “They need to play when it’s necessary. In order for them to get better, they need to play. At some point, if I see they’re having trouble . . . they did last game a little bit. Then you’ve got to make sure to make those adjustments. They bring a lot to our lineup. A lot more positive than negative. I’m going to stick with those guys to continue to evolve and get better.”

Spooner and Pastrnak are the future. Spooner could be Soderberg’s replacement as the No. 3 center. Pastrnak projects to be a top-two right wing. They’re learning three-zone play on the fly. But with their team fighting for a playoff spot, their coach isn’t ready to take off the defensive leash just yet.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...yan-spooner/pcZia5XSV49p347CLXUFqO/story.html

You take these 2 out of the lineup and we are a very boring team, team which will have scoring problems/speed problems, I really wish these 2 are in the lineup when the playoffs start.

Our 1st half without them showed it again, we couldn't score, we had no speed, lacked talent, energy/spark, ottawa announcers said too that we don't have too many talented young players in the lineup and we need to let them play, not sit.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yes have to say David injury possible saved Spooner from being moved. Nice to see him helping the b's down the stretch.

or has increased his value for a summertime transaction ;)

Just to be clear before I get a tsunami of PM`s.....very much impressed with his play and I am feeling far more comfortable with him moving forward as an option to put on the 3rd line when DK comes back

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Those puns are unBEARable.

Anyways. While watching the game at the bar last night, I remembered Hamilton going down the runway . Any injury or was it just equipment? There was no sound so I couldn't hear.

From the looks of the score sheet, I think he came back to play a few shifts after the injury. I don't know exactly when the "injury" happened, but he played from 4 to 3 minutes to go in the game, and I'm about 99% sure that that wasn't the shift when it happened. During the game, I literally replayed the replay twice to figure out what happened. He looks normal, bumps into a Sen, and then starts skating slowly and a little hunched over. The fact that he came back to play, particularly late in a game where we had a two goal lead, makes me think it wasn't too bad. Chara did play an "extra" shift without Dougie at the tail end of the game that was split by McQuaid and Seidenberg on the other side.

Lol the guys tricked him into following some exotic massage women. not sure what they told him, maybe that they were reporters or something

Is that actually what happened, or is this speculation? I mean, I don't expect a press conference. Maybe a tweet from Pasta: "LOL, never leave your phone out when you go to the bathroom on the plane". It's kind of the most logical explanation - his Twitter feed had (and actually has) a few SI-model types in his "I'm following" column, which I'd chalk up to "normal 18 year-old stuff".

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
This statement does not represent the feeling of all Sens fans. Absolutely the better team won tonight, but we're not waving the white towel and giving up. Let's see what happens over the next few games and see if we're right back in a week with another huge game.

Did I say that I speak for all Ottawa fans?? What part of my post do you have a problem with where I said the Bruins were the better team? The Sens didn't bring it last night plain and simple; and at the end if the night Boston won. No one is giving up but check the standings. We are 7 points back so...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad