Post-Game Talk: Bruins win 3-1 - Tuukka gets his birthday wish

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Have the Bruins finally incorporated diving into their game plan? Three games in a row..

Hope to not see anymore whining in the GDT's when other teams do it from now on.

Campbell?

I've never seen anyone dive and get up so quickly in my life.

He didn't throw his hands up, or look around for a call, he just got up and skated.

Not an embellishment to my eyes.

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
Campbell?

He didn't throw his hands up, or look around for a call, he just got up and skated.

A smart diver would avoid this, so ones that want it to be called will do the dive then get up as if they were genuinely tripped, as if to say "I'm so innocent, I'm not even going to complain about it", as if doing nothing afterwards gives them credibility of some kind. As much as I want the Bs to get faster etc. I hope this isn't becoming a part of their game. They can still be fast, skilled and not dive, don't know if anyone ever told them that.

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014
Grateful to get the 2 points.....not really impressed with how this team played in what was widely acknowledged to be a must win game for this team.....

Good thing their goaltender was playing out of his mind to keep them in this one.....better not try it again......

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
I don't understand why this is so difficult to understand.

Spooner is not a very good defensive player. There are others on the team much better than him at preserving leads. They played instead while protecting the lead.

:dunno:

What's more important? Spooner's hattrick or winning the hockey game?

I don't think this is so simple. As soon as we try and "protect the lead" by benching spooner, the team collapses and nearly blew the lead. I think the mentality needs to be to keep scoring and stop the defensive shell game.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I don't think this is so simple. As soon as we try and "protect the lead" by benching spooner, the team collapses and nearly blew the lead. I think the mentality needs to be to keep scoring and stop the defensive shell game.

Agreed play with pressure and don't just get the puck in the defensive zone and flip it out over the center line to avoid the pressure, it does just the opposite, gives the other team more possession and has the Bruins skating on their heels.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

Exactly. We benched Spooner, Pasta, two of the players actually creating opportunities up front, and we were basically hemmed into our end for the final 5 minutes of the game. Hanging on by the skin of our teeth.

Our "shut down" game leaves much to be desired this year.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Exactly. We benched Spooner, Pasta, two of the players actually creating opportunities up front, and we were basically hemmed into our end for the final 5 minutes of the game. Hanging on by the skin of our teeth.

Our "shut down" game leaves much to be desired this year.

You make it sound like Spooner and Pasta were the only players creating chances. Bergy's line and Soda's line were also creating pressure before the Sens put on a desperate push while down 2 goals in the third.

Guys, we won the game! Why are people griping about it?

I'm sure both of these 2 young professional players - neither of whom has played a full season in the NHL - will take it in stride and carry on.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
The posts (incl. crossbar!) knew it was Rask's b-day? :)

Whoah, Pastrnak and Spooner look like the real deal. Especially Pastrnak! They should give Spooner a chance. They look like they can energize the team....

That was a sick goal by Loui, too.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Should be noted the only goal Ottawa scored was with the Bergeron line on the ice.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
w
You make it sound like Spooner and Pasta were the only players creating chances. Bergy's line and Soda's line were also creating pressure before the Sens put on a desperate push while down 2 goals in the third.

Guys, we won the game! Why are people griping about it?

I'm sure both of these 2 young professional players - neither of whom has played a full season in the NHL - will take it in stride and carry on.

You're right, Marchy and Bergy were great. Eriksson too.

I didn't mean to slag them indirectly; just really didn't like CJ benching Spooner after he scores two key goals.

Also, Spooner getting slammed/benched by CJ in the past, has actually had a pretty negative impact on his confidence. Naturally, this is why you give leeway to young, developing players. Here is what DKH wrote in another thread:

Ryan was scared bleep less of Julian- he would tell you he didn't think Claude liked him and IMPOSSIBLE to play well or to your potential/capability in that environment.

Spooner was scared ****less of Julian, for good reason. Let's hope his confidence is more resilient, this time around.

But if you think the coach hates you, and then you go out, score two goals-- goals that win the game-- and you still get benched... is that going to change your thinking?

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Campbell?

I didn't see anything wrong on Campbell's part but the referees hear what goes on between the players during a game. :dunno:

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
w

You're right, Marchy and Bergy were great. Eriksson too.

I didn't mean to slag them indirectly; just really didn't like CJ benching Spooner after he scores two key goals.

Also, Spooner getting slammed/benched by CJ in the past, has actually had a pretty negative impact on his confidence. Naturally, this is why you give leeway to young, developing players. Here is what DKH wrote in another thread:

Spooner was scared ****less of Julian, for good reason. Let's hope his confidence is more resilient, this time around.

But if you think the coach hates you, and then you go out, score two goals-- goals that win the game-- and you still get benched... is that going to change your thinking?

Since Spooner was smiling on the bench during the final timeout, was named #2 star, was praised by his coach afterward, interviewed on the NHL Network today and said he's playing better because he's "having fun," and reportedly was surrounded by a media swarm today after practice, I doubt his confidence was shattered when Julien decided to use his veteran centers to protect a lead.

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Since Spooner was smiling on the bench during the final timeout, was named #2 star, was praised by his coach afterward, interviewed on the NHL Network today and said he's playing better because he's "having fun," and reportedly was surrounded by a media swarm today after practice, I doubt his confidence was shattered when Julien decided to use his veteran centers to protect a lead.

Defending a lead I'd rather see Marchand on the ice with Loui and Bergy, not Talbot however, at the end. The kid line AND 4th line should be benched in close games at the end. It felt like the 4th line played half of the 3rd Period. They just aren't good anymore, aside from Talbot who is looking quite good at his 4th line role but still not a great player himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad