Pre-Game Talk: BRUINS Vs. LEAFS pre-series talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
Daug played well, I like his tenacity. Not sure he's the answer to the lineup questions but at least he's not Jay Pandolfo. My guess is this might be a bit of a jab at Pevs to get him going. It's surprising to me not because it's not like Claude to put a mucker out there but because he loves center depth and PK depth and Pevs provides both those things along with versatility.

End of the day, my guess is we see Kelly on LW and Pevs slot into C, although I wouldn't be surprised to see Claude roll the practice lines for G1

Looks like Daugavins got a fair amount of PK time in Ottawa. Not sure if the Bruins have used him in that capacity yet, but it could be that Julien wouldn't be shy about throwing him out there. Faceoffs are clearly an asset for Peverley though, and as you pointed out Julien does seem to value that (rightly so, IMO), so who knows.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
The Bruins have at least 7 forwards who can kill penalties. The last thing they need is more grinders in the lineup.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
all I know is that I think I'd trust NHL 13's "best lines" option to come up with better lines than Julien right now. With all the depth they have, he has a ton of "no-brainer" decisions to make and yet he's still dicking around with the lines like it's the pre-season.

dup7

Jul 5, 2006
Halifax, NS
I think many of Claude's head-scratching decisions can be explained via reward/punishment theory. Bizarre shootout choices often include somebody who had a great game; 4th liners getting significant PP time or icetime when the game's on the line in the waning minutes; scratches in playoff games. In this case it's not that he thinks Daugavins is better than Peverley, he thinks that by rewarding Daugavins and punishing Peverley the rest of the team will see this and respond accordingly, thus creating an overall benefit. "You play like Daugavins on Sunday? You'll get icetime. You play like Peverley...you'll get no icetime."

I'm not saying I agree with this kind of thinking, I've just found that over the years it helps explain Claude.

Well put.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Reimer Career v. BOS: 4-4-1, .917sv%
Reimer 2012/13 v. BOS: 1-1-1, .948sv%

I wouldn't say we have no goaltending.

I wouldn't be surprised if Boston stepped up its game in many different areas...but two things that would totally shock me:

1) The Bruins DON'T make ANY goalie they face look like a Vezina candidate. *see Holtby last year for the most recent example

Book it.

2) The Bruins offense breaks out.

I guess they go hand in hand. Haha

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
Saw a clip of Phil talking to the TO media today. Comes off as such a petulant child. Giving the reporters attitude, which naturally leads to them giving it back, and he gets his panties further bunched. Good luck Phil, you're gonna need it.

Afam*

So we finally convince soderberg to come over and we then proceed to scratch him.very funny and typical of the Bruins. Why bring him over in the first place ?

bobbyz04

Nov 21, 2007
So we finally convince soderberg to come over and we then proceed to scratch him.very funny and typical of the Bruins. Why bring him over in the first place ?

He was my sleeper pick in my hockey draft. FML

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
See my previous post. Julien said the lineup isn't set.

The coaching staff doesn't just throw guys out on the ice in a playoff series. They consider everything - how players are practicing, how they're feeling (illness, injury), what the matchups are, how certain players/combinations have performed against the opponent, and vice versa, the current state of the opponent, and on and on it goes. I would believe that following practice today Julien and his staff are putting in a significant amount of time working out various scenarios, and it will continue tomorrow. And throughout the series as well.

Sometimes I wish HBO would do a 24/7 on the Bruins so people would realize how much work these guys put in. They're not assigning players roles based on how much they like them and then going out and having a few beers. It ain't the '70s anymore.

Addendum - this isn't addressed to you, specifically, Patty. I know you know better.

Come on. If those are indeed the lines and soderberg and Pervs are healthy scratches then we could easily come up with better lines from our couch. A lineup with a healhty peverley is not better then a healthy dogman? On the third line? Peverley has centered kovalchuk and hossa for Cripes sakes. Its not rocket science.

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
I wish Dougie was playing. Claude had no problem with him making his NHL debut against the Rangers, why sit him just because it's the playoffs? I mean, Kaberle made some glaring defensive miscues during our playoff run. Dougie has played a more physical game than Kaberle ever did. Kabs was good at skating the puck out and making a nice first pass, Dougie does pretty well with that as well. The big difference is that Dougie has a nice accurate shot on the PP, unlike "pass first and only pass" Tomas.

Afam*

This^

Grabovski & Vanek, whenever they have the puck I shudder.

LeeIs (leaf board) - Gif'n
mcclaren.gif

Chara - Gif blocking
iSicFOuMqIz12.gif

Lmao. I'm rolling laughing right now. Well done Cam. Whose the leafs player?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think many of Claude's head-scratching decisions can be explained via reward/punishment theory. Bizarre shootout choices often include somebody who had a great game; 4th liners getting significant PP time or icetime when the game's on the line in the waning minutes; scratches in playoff games. In this case it's not that he thinks Daugavins is better than Peverley, he thinks that by rewarding Daugavins and punishing Peverley the rest of the team will see this and respond accordingly, thus creating an overall benefit. "You play like Daugavins on Sunday? You'll get icetime. You play like Peverley...you'll get no icetime."

I'm not saying I agree with this kind of thinking, I've just found that over the years it helps explain Claude.

Problem is this team cant score. You get help with Horton coming back then you go "the full Claude" and put in a defensive minded guy over a guy who has put up some decent playoff numbers for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad