Boston Bruins Bruins To Retire #16 in Honor of Rick Middleton

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Saw this on the main board but it was locked, not sure why as there are quite a few of us(other teams fans) long enough in the tooth to remember his game.

Anyway, long overdue honor for an excellent and deserving player.

Reactions: Ritmo

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
My favorite Middleton memory was watching a game with some buddies and Nifty was having a great game all around. After another great play, then TV announcer Fred Cusick put his hands up and loudly said "WHAT A HOCKEY PLAYER!!"

We all started laughing, and even mimicking Fred saying it, since it was so out of character. But that proved how good he was in his prime.

Reactions: GordonHowe

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I love going through this thread and seeing every fan is in agreement that he should have his number retired, and then you have that waste product, radio troll, Adam Jones saying Middleton shouldn't be going to the rafters. I would put good money on it, that this pumpkin head didn't even watch Middleton play a shift.
Adam Jones is the guy who said Kyrie Irving should tell his surgeon to reschedule because he needs to be on the bench for game 7 to support his team.

Like the doctors and staff can just plan according to that

If they ever find a brain donor for Jones I hope he tells the surgeons a day before he needs to change it his niece is playing a softball game and he wants to be in the stands to support her

I’m assuming he’s 100% schtick no one can be this clueless

Reactions: Strafer

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Interestingly, that is similar to the argument I have heard for not retiring his number. Definitely talked to some fans who say he really doesn't have the stats/productivity to have his number retired, but received the honor for his style.

Given he is a guy I did not watch play, it would be arrogant for me to have an opinion one way or the other.
I would say he received the honor because of the impact his style had,on the games,the fans,and the league. Noone has ever competed at the intensity level of O'Reilly-ever! 2 players would bring me to the edge of my seat every shift-Orr and O'Reilly. Like Dave Schultz said,"the difference between Terry and me is Terry is one helluva hockey player!" I agree.

Reactions: pie19

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I’m sure your not the only one with this take. I got to sit row 1 corner clock for his entire career and he’s lock solid HOF talent in my book. A lot of my views are observation. In my world he’s an elite offensive and defensive player who came up big when it mattered.

The no Cup or World Series thing is my pet peeve.

Even mentioning no Cup and knowing what a cheap prick Sinden was. Holding that against Middleton is wrong

We can agree to disagree on Middleton as a HOF - lock probably excessive on my part but he’s a HOF if I’m voting

So Bergeron has a Cup but he he’s probably never been in the top 25- I would assume you aren’t putting him in or the Selke can be tipping point ?

He’s a lock I’d think

Actually, we do agree. If I had a vote he would be in. Once even emailed the Toronto Sun advocating for Nifty in the Hall because of an article about inductions that year.

What I was disagreeing with was the notion that he's not in the HOF simply because of the lawsuit against the league.

I also agree that not winning a Cup should not be a factor, but I think it is with the voters for the Hall.

Reactions: GordonHowe and DKH

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Actually, we do agree. If I had a vote he would be in. Once even emailed the Toronto Sun advocating for Nifty in the Hall because of an article about inductions that year.

What I was disagreeing with was the notion that he's not in the HOF simply because of the lawsuit against the league.

I also agree that not winning a Cup should not be a factor, but I think it is with the voters for the Hall.

Right or wrong, whether a player has won a Cup matters. There are many great players in the Hall who never won it all. Brad Park comes to mind. They deserve to be in the HOF.

Still, for me, it does matter if a guy has been to the top of the mountain.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fans today have no idea how much of a puppet and empty suit John Zieglar was. Talk about disgraceful.

Gary Bettman is a saint compared to that fraud

Ziegler was a Dollar Bill Wirtz appointee and finally Jacobs got fed up. Ziegler is still an alternate governor of the Blackhawks.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am assuming for whatever reasons Sinden was against retiring the number or it was Papa Jacobs :dunno:

In the Bruins announcement, it was Charlie who spoke for the family.

Now - should Brad Park's number be retired?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I am assuming for whatever reasons Sinden was against retiring the number or it was Papa Jacobs :dunno:

Brad Park was legitimately great, not questioning him at all. It's just...maybe we should transition into doing a kind of ring-of-honor thing and leave retirements for the most elite and championship-winning Bruins. Otherwise we're not going to have any numbers below 40 available in a matter of years.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Brad Park was legitimately great, not questioning him at all. It's just...maybe we should transition into doing a kind of ring-of-honor thing and leave retirements for the most elite and championship-winning Bruins. Otherwise we're not going to have any numbers below 40 available in a matter of years.

All I can say is if ownership decided to retire Park's sweater, I could accept it.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

All I can say is if ownership decided to retire Park's sweater, I could accept it.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Ziegler was a Dollar Bill Wirtz appointee and finally Jacobs got fed up. Ziegler is still an alternate governor of the Blackhawks.

I didn’t know that. I figured he just slithered off into oblivion (where he belongs)

The NHL was just a wasteland during that era. The players were getting shafted badly by the owners and the whole league was rigged against them. Most players were just chattel to them and that’s how they were treated

Last edited:
Reactions: eightspokedb

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Park played less than half of his career in Boston. I'd say no.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I didn’t know that. Imfigured he just slithered off into oblivion (where he belongs)

The NHL was just a wasteland during that era. The players were getting shafted badly by the owners and the whole league was rigged against them. Most players were just chattel to them and that’s how they were treated
My favorite Ziegler story is how when the whole Don Koharski have another donut thing went down and the refs tried to go on strike, wasn't he off on a fishing trip and nowhere to be found for days?

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
My favorite Ziegler story is how when the whole Don Koharski have another donut thing went down and the refs tried to go on strike, wasn't he off on a fishing trip and nowhere to be found for days?

Yep, he was MIA:

Remember, this was before the Internet and cell phones were prevalent, and everyone really was in a state of confusion around the arena. NHL Commissioner John Ziegler was unable to be found

Jim Schoenfeld: "Have Another Donut," the 1988 NHL Playoffs That Changed Hockey

Game day dawned. I was in the office early. Well, there is no such thing as “early” when operating on Lamoriello Time. I was in and out of Lou’s office. He sensed trouble. We all sensed trouble. At around 12:30, we were notified that our coach would be suspended for that night’s match.
Lamoriello attempted to get in touch with NHL president John Ziegler. He could not be found. For hours, he tried to reach the league’s chief executive. No one in the league hierarchy would tell Lamoriello where he was. I’m pretty sure Lou spoke to O’Neill, who admitted he had never watched the tape of the incident.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/05/have-another-donut-clash-still-lives-in-infamy-30-years-later/

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
FWIW, I wish there was a Bruins Hall of Fame so that the team could honor players from the past who maybe don't rise to the level of having their number retired.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Park was great with the Rangers

Adam Graves has his number retired and Brad Park doesn’t
Park was a superb player and a quintessential Bruin, he did it all. As Fred Cusick said "Brad Park could stickhandle in a phone booth." It is a sin that at least the Rangers didn't have the class to put his name on the banner or jersey. If the Bruins didn't have him when Orr left there would've been big trouble with the fans on Causeway IMO. Sinden would always get his man (when he wanted to).
I also feel the same about retiring #16 Derek Sanderson, almost. Sanderson was to the Bruins in a lot of ways what Brad Marchand is to them now, except he was a center. I don't see why two players can't have their names on a retired number. As someone above mentioned if we keep retiring numbers at this pace there Bruins won't have a player left wearing a number under the number 40.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

IMO yes, but then again I HATE that a number gets retired forever :sueme:

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Bruins retire numbers too easily, O'Reilly now this. In the not to distant future, Chara and Bergeron will have their number retired and that will bring us to 14 numbers.

I'd prefer the player be 'honored' but their number stays in circulation. Only in the rarest situations (death or all time great), would I remove a number from circulation.

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
my first instinct was to say no to this retirement. so I went to get some numbers to back up my position. damn, his numbers were a lot better than I remember

the thing that worked against middleton is that I never felt he was the best player on the team. he was always like number 3 or number 4.... but it wasn't really his fault we had ray bourque around. barry Pederson was so damn good for those few years he was healthy. of course I worshipped at the idol of terry oreilly… and then shortly after middleton was falling off along came cam neely who was a whole other world of great

I remember an argument I used to make with how rick middleton on the oilers would make everyone forget jarri kurri... and how rick middleton was so much better defensively than mike bossey…

maybe in those days I always thought my bruins were perfect without any flaws... exaggerated them a lot... but even with my home field bias he really was very good.

I went looking for reasons to argue against his deserving this honor and I found none. instead I got reminded we need to honor these greats from our past because even a long time fan like myself might forget just how good he was without this sort of reminder.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Bruins retire numbers too easily, O'Reilly now this. In the not to distant future, Chara and Bergeron will have their number retired and that will bring us to 14 numbers.

I'd prefer the player be 'honored' but their number stays in circulation. Only in the rarest situations (death or all time great), would I remove a number from circulation.

I do like the idea of great numbers being held for great players... and the numbers legend being allowed to grow.

Esposito to bourque was a bigtime memory for me as a kid.

I probably wouldn't retire any number but id certainly hold some in reserve until someone deserving came along. certain numbers should mean greatness

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times. Very friendly guy. Always willing to chat. Glad to see they’re doing this.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Park was a superb player and a quintessential Bruin, he did it all. As Fred Cusick said "Brad Park could stickhandle in a phone booth." It is a sin that at least the Rangers didn't have the class to put his name on the banner or jersey. If the Bruins didn't have him when Orr left there would've been big trouble with the fans on Causeway IMO. Sinden would always get his man (when he wanted to).
I also feel the same about retiring #16 Derek Sanderson, almost. Sanderson was to the Bruins in a lot of ways what Brad Marchand is to them now, except he was a center. I don't see why two players can't have their names on a retired number. As someone above mentioned if we keep retiring numbers at this pace there Bruins won't have a player left wearing a number under the number 40.
Great post

Adam Graves is a top 20 All Time favorite player and I looked at his stats and didn’t realize he played so long in NY

He’s probably an O’Reilly type of choice - a player not going in the HOF but very very good and symbolic of what it means to be a Rangers

I apologize to the Graves family and remain as always one of his biggest fans since that 1990 playoff when he was a yute with Edmonton

Bobby Nystrom might be in that class as well as Islanders I believe retired his number

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad