Boston Bruins Bruins To Retire #16 in Honor of Rick Middleton

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins to retire Rick Middleton’s No. 16 - The Boston Globe

Since his playing days ended in 1988, Rick Middleton hasn’t gone far. He lives in Hampton, N.H., has done work as a NESN broadcaster, and has been president of the Bruins alumni association for the past 10 years.

Whenever he visits TD Garden or Warrior Ice Arena, his eyes sometimes drift toward the rafters.

“I can’t lie,” he said. “I’ve looked up between Milt Schmidt and Terry O’Reilly, and there seems to be a lot of room there. I was wondering if my name would go up there one day.”

It will.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bruins to retire Rick Middleton’s No. 16 - The Boston Globe

Since his playing days ended in 1988, Rick Middleton hasn’t gone far. He lives in Hampton, N.H., has done work as a NESN broadcaster, and has been president of the Bruins alumni association for the past 10 years.

Whenever he visits TD Garden or Warrior Ice Arena, his eyes sometimes drift toward the rafters.

“I can’t lie,” he said. “I’ve looked up between Milt Schmidt and Terry O’Reilly, and there seems to be a lot of room there. I was wondering if my name would go up there one day.”

It will.

I see him in Hampton all the time. and I asked him once about why his number hadn't been retired and he said most likely Harry.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
I'm thrilled for Rick. I've played opposite him several times for the MIT alumni, and when I said hello to him at the recent Bruins prospects scrimmage, he remembered them all. Always great to chat with, a great player and great Bruins alumnus.

Nifty indeed:

hockey.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sooshii

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm thrilled for Rick. I've played opposite him several times for the MIT alumni, and when I said hello to him at the recent Bruins prospects scrimmage, he remembered them all. Always great to chat with, a great player and great Bruins alumnus.

Nifty indeed:

hockey.jpg

Ask him about the time Don Cherry let him and Cashman not come back with the team after an exhibition game with WHA Hartford Whalers and stay behind to go out with Johnny McKenzie and Dave Keon.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not to pick on you, but I've seen this sentiment in several places online, and I don't understand it.

To put their Boston careers in perspective, Rick Middleton scored more goals as a Bruin (447) than Derek Sanderson played games (439).

other than highlights, I really didn`t have the opportunity to watch Sanderson. His on ice antics/toughness/insanity are legendary, his off ice extra curricular activities are well documented but when I was old enough to not just watch hockey but start to understand aspects of the game other than simply scoring a goal, I fell in love with the B`s and most specifically Middleton.

He was a guy the B`s turned to for an offensive lift, then you`d see him out there on the PK, almost reached that PPG mark

While I`m happy for Rick that his number is finally being lifted to the rafters, it`s absolutely ludicrous that it`s taken this long and overall, he`s a guy that just seems to not be on anyone`s radar`s for excellence. With Sanderson, yep, sounds like he could play, stats show he wasn`t just a goon but I think overall talent, he was nowhere close to RM

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I was in High School working at the restaurant called Romie’s in Danvers. I was a bus boy and they had a cook out by the bar. I went over there to get something and he says you aren’t going to believe it the Bruins traded Hodge to the Rangers for Middleton. Stunned and had to ask if this was 1 for 1. Hodge was near the end and Middleton was like an up and coming Mitch Marner or David Pastrnak. Even as a kid I knew that was just robbery

Reactions: sooshii and Strafer

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I was in High School working at the restaurant called Romie’s in Danvers. I was a bus boy and they had a cook out by the bar. I went over there to get something and he says you aren’t going to believe it the Bruins traded Hodge to the Rangers for Middleton. Stunned and had to ask if this was 1 for 1. Hodge was near the end and Middleton was like an up and coming Mitch Marner or David Pastrnak. Even as a kid I knew that was just robbery

bus boys get all the ladies:laugh:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
other than highlights, I really didn`t have the opportunity to watch Sanderson. His on ice antics/toughness/insanity are legendary, his off ice extra curricular activities are well documented but when I was old enough to not just watch hockey but start to understand aspects of the game other than simply scoring a goal, I fell in love with the B`s and most specifically Middleton.

He was a guy the B`s turned to for an offensive lift, then you`d see him out there on the PK, almost reached that PPG mark

While I`m happy for Rick that his number is finally being lifted to the rafters, it`s absolutely ludicrous that it`s taken this long and overall, he`s a guy that just seems to not be on anyone`s radar`s for excellence. With Sanderson, yep, sounds like he could play, stats show he wasn`t just a goon but I think overall talent, he was nowhere close to RM
Derek was amazing - I could write a book on all the stories I heard.

Derek was one of a kind and was good enough to beat out Canadiens Jacques Lemaire for ROY.

Tremendous player who could have been a HOF had he made better decisions

This Derek’s values with that talent is in the conversation

To me he’s the best combo of shutdown center and scorer I’ve ever seen

That he could be out a first ballot HOF in Lemaire is all I need to verify

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Middleton, Park and other players sued the league regarding their conspiracy with Alan Eagleson, allowing him to embezzle money from the NHLPA and Hockey Canada in exchange for keeping salaries down.
Supreme Court refuses to revive NHL conspiracy suit | CBC Sports

yup, its what has kept him out of the Hall, and certainly why his number going up took so long (Jacobs is one of the 3 most powerful owners).

glad it finally happened for him.

also, its as big of a crime that Brad Park isnt up there yet

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

He was a featured player in a lawsuit against the nhl and specific teams in mid 90’s over pensions and other benefits- not going to get you any love

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
yup, its what has kept him out of the Hall, and certainly why his number going up took so long (Jacobs is one of the 3 most powerful owners).

glad it finally happened for him.

also, its as big of a crime that Brad Park isnt up there yet
That’s because of Harry

Amirite Fenway ?

Fenway has all the good stuff

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
All of you know that era better than me. I’m an 80’s on fan. Who else deserves to be up there in most people’s opinion. I didn’t think any of the old players were going up there.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
For those curious, the last Bruin to wear #16 in a live game....Kaspars ****ing Daugavins

Lord...why does his name never go away? Somehow it becomes relevant in what seems like half the threads here on HF. Maybe sending the number to the rafters will help.

Being born in '88, I never got to watch Rick, but I did take a look at a couple highlight clips. If not "revolutionary", there certainly looks like some innovation behind his game. Played a hard-nosed straight ahead North American style, mixed with some European finesse, in my eyes. Pretty impressive how he handled the puck with those brittle wooden sticks. Also impressive that he rarely seemed to be in-balance when he took a shot.

Also makes me really happy to see how happy it makes him. And, no one on the board here disagrees with it (I was wondering if the reaction would be similar to how some people are up in the air on O'Reilly's number being in the rafters)

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Curious about this? I don't know anything about it
Alan Eagleson, Bill Wirtz, John Ziegler fiasco. Double dealing, ripping off players pension, international tournament shenanigans,..... an absolute mess.

Find a copy of Russ Conway's "Game Misconduct" -- a great, if sobering, read. Lots of former B's got screwed (Park, Middleton, O'Reilly, etc., etc., etc.). Disgraceful.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Lord...why does his name never go away? Somehow it becomes relevant in what seems like half the threads here on HF. Maybe sending the number to the rafters will help.

Being born in '88, I never got to watch Rick, but I did take a look at a couple highlight clips. If not "revolutionary", there certainly looks like some innovation behind his game. Played a hard-nosed straight ahead North American style, mixed with some European finesse, in my eyes. Pretty impressive how he handled the puck with those brittle wooden sticks. Also impressive that he rarely seemed to be in-balance when he took a shot.

Also makes me really happy to see how happy it makes him. And, no one on the board here disagrees with it (I was wondering if the reaction would be similar to how some people are up in the air on O'Reilly's number being in the rafters)
O’Reilly should have had a statue inside the Garden to symbolize what a Bruins all about. He embodies the Bruins and what they are all about but in the 50 years I been going these would be retired

4- Orr
7- Esposito
8- Neely
9 - Bucyk
16- Middleton
22- Park
77- Bourque

Chara and Bergeron seem locks

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

I worked at a Star Market. Was in the break room when I heard. I thought that it was a joke: a young future super star for Hodge? "Gotta be more to it than that." But there wasn't. Hodge had gotten so slow at that point I was wondering why he was traded at the time too. Funny thing was Harry must've had this scenario in mind. "Espo is having a hard time there, well how about we send you Hodgie, he feeds Espo." Sure yeah give me that kid Dicki Middleboro or what ever his name is and we'll get Hodgie over to you for when the season starts."
I also remember someone that I worked there said that Middleton had broken his leg and was "damaged goods" he said "I can't believe that they sent a star player to New Yaahrk for a kid." LOL

Reactions: GordonHowe and DKH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad