NHL Bruins To Open 2020-21 Season Vs. Predators In Prague, Czech Republic

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Who is considered the home team? It might mean the Bruins don't come to Nashville that year :(

If there is only one game I hope Bruins are the home team will mean one less game to pay for. Although I like Nashville and would like to see them come to Boston.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Could mean a compressed schedule due to the week off that teams get after they play in Europe.

Reactions: talkinaway

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
If there is only one game I hope Bruins are the home team will mean one less game to pay for. Although I like Nashville and would like to see them come to Boston.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Could mean a compressed schedule due to the week off that teams get after they play in Europe.

This is what I thought too, about the compressed schedule...but they made it work last time they had a regular season game in Europe in 2010. And the rough trip to China (remember the equipment that had "difficulty" clearing customs, etc.?) didn't faze them at all, either, even if it was preseason.

I definitely think STHs in both arenas would prefer, from a strictly monetary standpoint, for the Prague game to be a Boston home game. Or, at the very least, STHs from Nashville would be WAY more mad about losing a Bruins game than STHs from Boston would be about losing the Nashville game.

Sure, having our home versus non-home arenas split 40-42 isn't as good as having a 41-41 split, but we still get equal advantage in first changes, and it's only one game against a non-conference opponent. If the US Bruins/Predators game being in Nashville instead of Boston is what keeps us out of the playoffs in 2020-21, we probably have no business being in the playoffs to begin with.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Excellent. Was supposed to visit a cousin living there in 2010/2011 and catch the game. Couldn’t swing it. Ended up going there for a wedding few years ago. Ready to go for hockey.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hotel and flight aren’t that expensive. Norwegian should have deals. You don’t need a rental car in the city it’s small and easy to get around but the airport is not close and it’s a pain. Some girl on my flight gave me a ride with her brother and I think I remember getting angry with how much the cab back to it cost. And being surprised how long it took.

nycpunk1

Jan 9, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Hotel and flight aren’t that expensive. Norwegian should have deals. You don’t need a rental car in the city it’s small and easy to get around but the airport is not close and it’s a pain.

Prague is a beautiful city, but if you're traveling from the States on a budget I'd recommend a flight into Berlin for a few days, a train to Dresden for a day or two, and then a short train ride to Prague from there. 2 hour rides between the cities, and the main train stations are all in the city centers. The Berlin airports aren't places you want to be, but they're also places that are easy to leave.

You can also fly into Munich, then head up to Nuremberg and then over to Prague. Mannheim to Prague, on the other hand, is a haul unless you rent a car and make it a whole thing.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Prague is a beautiful city, but if you're traveling from the States on a budget I'd recommend a flight into Berlin for a few days, a train to Dresden for a day or two, and then a short train ride to Prague from there. 2 hour rides between the cities, and the main train stations are all in the city centers. The Berlin airports aren't places you want to be, but they're also places that are easy to leave.

You can also fly into Munich, then head up to Nuremberg and then over to Prague. Mannheim to Prague, on the other hand, is a haul unless you rent a car and make it a whole thing.
The flights I saw were either Boston to Amsterdam or Frankfurt or Boston to JFK to Prague.

I want to go to Berlin (I'm a history geek) so I'll definitely price out this option as well.

I went to Prague 20 years ago and had an absolutely magical time so I am really hoping I can get over there for this event.

nycpunk1

Jan 9, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
The flights I saw were either Boston to Amsterdam or Frankfurt or Boston to JFK to Prague.

I want to go to Berlin (I'm a history geek) so I'll definitely price out this option as well.

I went to Prague 20 years ago and had an absolutely magical time so I am really hoping I can get over there for this event.

There aren't any direct flights Boston-Berlin that I know of, and very few cheap flights to Germany in general. But you can get a ton of connecting flights through Reykjavik. If you have the funds to fly on a national carrier direct to Europe, do it. But if you're going to be in a budget seat, it's not a bad thing to get a chance to stretch your legs halfway through. Don't forget to price out two one-way tickets or even flying into Berlin and out of Prague. Google Flights is my workhorse-- I put in the flight parameters (stops, airlines, duration, etc), then use the date search to poke around for better deals.

If you're a history buff, Berlin to Dresden to Prague is pretty amazing. In Berlin you can add Potsdam and Wannsee (Zone C) to an U-bahn day pass for 70 cents more. You can also take a riverboat cruise to the Sächsiche Schweiz national park on the way to Prague. Total intercity cost per person: €76.50, which includes 1 day pass each for Berlin and Dresden.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
There aren't any direct flights Boston-Berlin that I know of, and very few cheap flights to Germany in general. But you can get a ton of connecting flights through Reykjavik. If you have the funds to fly on a national carrier direct to Europe, do it. But if you're going to be in a budget seat, it's not a bad thing to get a chance to stretch your legs halfway through. Don't forget to price out two one-way tickets or even flying into Berlin and out of Prague. Google Flights is my workhorse-- I put in the flight parameters (stops, airlines, duration, etc), then use the date search to poke around for better deals.

If you're a history buff, Berlin to Dresden to Prague is pretty amazing. In Berlin you can add Potsdam and Wannsee (Zone C) to an U-bahn day pass for 70 cents more. You can also take a riverboat cruise to the Sächsiche Schweiz national park on the way to Prague. Total intercity cost per person: €76.50, which includes 1 day pass each for Berlin and Dresden.
You are speaking my language with the history stuff.

There is a few tours I have been pricing that go from Berlin to Prague with stops in Dresden, Neuremberg, Potsdam and Munich.

If anything I'd love to do Berlin, Munich and Prague tho the history buff in me is pulling me to go to Warsaw as well.

I hope we get dates soon which will really help in planning.

nycpunk1

Jan 9, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
You are speaking my language with the history stuff.

There is a few tours I have been pricing that go from Berlin to Prague with stops in Dresden, Neuremberg, Potsdam and Munich.

If anything I'd love to do Berlin, Munich and Prague tho the history buff in me is pulling me to go to Warsaw as well.

I hope we get dates soon which will really help in planning.

Keep in mind we're talking the end of September through the first days of October, so Munich is going to be a whole thing in itself. That may make it must-see or must-skip, depending on your preferences.

Aside from really small towns, nearly everyone speaks English, you can book everything in English, and all the sites have excellent free or nearly-free tours anyway, so a package tour might not add a whole lot of value.

Now I've made myself ready for this and it's probably months away from any real info!

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Keep in mind we're talking the end of September through the first days of October, so Munich is going to be a whole thing in itself. That may make it must-see or must-skip, depending on your preferences.

Aside from really small towns, nearly everyone speaks English, you can book everything in English, and all the sites have excellent free or nearly-free tours anyway, so a package tour might not add a whole lot of value.

Now I've made myself ready for this and it's probably months away from any real info!
Ah yes, Oktoberfest. The idea of spending my birthday at Oktoberfest is intriguing but I'd rather site see.

If I had to pick between the two I would pick Berlin.

I want dates damn it!

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Ah yes, Oktoberfest. The idea of spending my birthday at Oktoberfest is intriguing but I'd rather site see.

If I had to pick between the two I would pick Berlin.

I want dates damn it!

Oktoberfest is overrated, but if you can choose between Berlin and Munich, you have to go to Munich.
Berlin is a shithole.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Gonna try and do everything I can to get to this either as..
A) New baby's first Bruins game
B) Baby's first couple of nights staying with granny and grandad while Mammy and Daddy go or..
C) Daddies first guys weekend away since baby arrived.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad