Boston Bruins Bruins to Honor Record-Holding 1977-78 Team

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Watched these guys for years but it was startling to me how unrecognizable that McNab,Schmautz,Sheppard and Ratelle were. McNab and O'Reilly still have the bromance going on.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Watched these guys for years but it was startling to me how unrecognizable that McNab,Schmautz,Sheppard and Ratelle were. McNab and O'Reilly still have the bromance going on.
People age man.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
41 goals is a lot McNab must have been pretty good is the rep he gets for being soft fair or not?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
41 goals is a lot McNab must have been pretty good is the rep he gets for being soft fair or not?

He wasnt a fighter. But its all relative to the rest of that roster. They had some certifiable maniacs.
He would take a beating in the slot though. Big body and would take the abuse to score.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

McNab wasn't physical, he tried to fight once in a while but was remarkably bad at it. He stood out more because of the team. Taz, Jonathan and Wensink may well have been the three toughest players on any team at the same time, the Blues of the early 70's being one if the few examples of another group I can think of.

Add Cashman who made Dale Hunter look warm and fuzzy, Bobby Schmautz who was mean and dirty, Park , who Cherry told not to fight but was still tough and used his stick for more than scoring, Dennis O'Brien who would fight anybody and sadly usually wound up with some bad match ups because given a choice of Taz, Jonathan, Wensink, Park or Cashman guys usually picked Dennis and if you weren't named Jean Ratelle it stood out if you were not aggressively tough. Taking a beating in the slot and not hitting did stand out on that team but McNab usually played with O'Reilly so he really didn't have much to worry about.

Reactions: sooshii

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Ratelle made a great point. If Orr had have stayed healthy and played on this team they woild have been unstoppable. No way Montreal wins 4 cups in a row to close out the 70's. With a healthyOrr in the lineup this team would have been better than the 70-72 teams that won the cup. I was 12 the year they accomplished this and still have fond memories of listening to my am radio and hearing Bobby Miller pot his 20th in the final game into an empty net.

Reactions: trenton1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad