Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Krug and Smith (1.4 each)

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I am getting even more excited. Both of them with 1 year... You know they are going to be in beast mode trying to earn that next contract!

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Right.

Just 20..only issue is Dougie's the only one that can go down without being subject to waivers.

With both of them being signed, I think it definitely points to something being very close to done.

I believe Florek can also be sent down? According to CapGeek, he still has 50 games left on his exemption through the end of this year?

Courtesy of their Armchair GM:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
Bruins 23 Man Roster

FORWARDS
Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / Patrice Bergeron ($6.500m) / Loui Eriksson ($4.250m)
Brad Marchand ($4.500m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Reilly Smith ($1.400m)
Chris Kelly ($3.000m) / Carl Soderberg ($1.008m) / Matt Fraser ($0.625m)
Daniel Paille ($1.300m) / Gregory Campbell ($1.600m) / Jordan Caron ($0.600m)
Marc Savard ($4.027m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Dennis Seidenberg ($4.000m)
Johnny Boychuk ($3.367m) / Adam McQuaid ($1.567m)
Matt Bartkowski ($1.250m) / Dougie Hamilton ($0.894m)
Kevan Miller ($0.800m) / Torey Krug ($1.400m)

GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($7.000m)
Niklas Svedberg ($0.600m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$4,779,500
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $72,634,143; BONUSES: $600,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): -$3,634,143

Bruins have to move (trade/release) roughly $2.8m in salary to be cap compliant, if they send Hamilton down, leaving them with a 22 man roster, including Savard and Campbell (who I suspect will be placed on IR).

If the B's want to make one move and be compliant, it will have to be Kelly, or Boychuk. I know which one I would prefer. They could also move both McQuaid and Campbell and get there as well. If Kelly is dealt, the B's would start the season $200k below the Cap, then they can LTIR Savard, bring Dougie back up and do whatever else they need to.

This does not take signing Gagne or Leino into consideration, nor does it deal with the issue of guys like Warsofsky, who would have to clear waivers, and most certainly would not IMO.

Last edited:

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Bridge contract. They'll get more years on the next one.

I would have liked another year or two on his bridge contract. Krug has a 40-50 point season he's getting a major payday next summer.

Can't complain tho, great contract for the cap situation.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
and once again Chia comes through. I am once again not shocked by this. Guy has a great track record of sigining our guys. I guess people are going to need something new to rip him on today.

Inability to acquire talent at deadline
Falling in love and overpaying some players
Turning the team into cub scouts.
Loui Eriksson.

How's that?

Great job getting them both signed at those dollar amounts. Now let's see what he does to clear cap space

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I am getting even more excited. Both of them with 1 year... You know they are going to be in beast mode trying to earn that next contract!

I feel the same. this was a great sigining for THIS year by Chia. small cap hits and big motivation. Next summer might not be so nice if they both have monster years though.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Inability to acquire talent at deadline
Falling in love and overpaying some players
Turning the team into cub scouts.
Loui Eriksson.

How's that?

Great job getting them both signed at those dollar amounts. Now let's see what he does to clear cap space

you know that was my first thought after I heard they got signed. I thought well the Loui thread should be full of chia bashers today because its all thats left to ***** about right now.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Crazy to think Krug got this little...I mean, he was supposed to go to the KHL...BIG MONEY!!! haah.....let's hope he doesn't break the bank next year! ;)

Awesome news; the team looks a lot better with both of them in!

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Outstanding. Now the top 2 lines are set and we can see the real competition for the bottom six forward spots. Contenders are as follows:

Soderberg (lock)
Paille (lock)
Kelly
Campbell
Caron
Spooner
Gagne
Fraser
Robins

We can also ship out Bartkowski for a draft pick.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Outstanding. Now the top 2 lines are set and we can see the real competition for the bottom six forward spots. Contenders are as follows:

Soderberg (lock)
Paille (lock)
Kelly
Campbell
Caron
Spooner (waiver exempt)
Gagne
Fraser (must clear waivers)
Robins (must clear waivers)

We can also ship out Bartkowski for a draft pick.

Going to have to do something with Warsofsky as well, he is not waiver exempt. I keep Bart over him because Krug/Warsofsky is redundant IMO.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
does he have to get cap compliant by day 1? I thought the other option was to get over by the cap by as close to Savard's cap hit as possible and then LTIR him. Am I remembering that wrong?

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I feel the same. this was a great sigining for THIS year by Chia. small cap hits and big motivation. Next summer might not be so nice if they both have monster years though.

I'm glad these guys are back (especially Krug) but resigning your own RFA isn't some monumental task:laugh:

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
does he have to get cap compliant by day 1? I thought the other option was to get over by the cap by as close to Savard's cap hit as possible and then LTIR him. Am I remembering that wrong?

Yes.

That will involve players being assigned to Providence and a trade, but who knows what that trade will be.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I'm glad these guys are back (especially Krug) but resigning your own RFA isn't some monumental task:laugh:

I agree and Chia has been great at it. I just mean that if he signed them to a 3-4 year deal this year it would be much better long term cap wise opposed to witing for them to play it out this year and get more money next summer if they have good years.

I am not unhappy about these deals at all. I think players should get paid after they prove more then one year which is going to be the case with these two now so I am very happy with that.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Regardless who gets dealt, these two deals were brilliant IMO, and really speaks of the culture of this team, and the guys they acquire..Gone forever are Tom Fergus and Mike Krushelnyski.. ;-)

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Yes.

That will involve players being assigned to Providence and a trade, but who knows what that trade will be.

I don't think that's the only option. See here:
http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-does-long-term-injured-reserve-LTIR-work

OPTION 2: Put the injured player on LTIR on the final day of training camp and, including the injured player’s annual average salary or cap hit, build a roster that exceeds the upper limit by an amount that is as close as possible to the injured player's annual average salary.

By way of example, the upper limit is $70.0M and a team’s Averaged Club Salary or cap payroll on the final day of training camp is $71.5M, including an injured player with an Averaged Amount or cap hit of $2M. The team places the player on LTIR on the final day of training camp and is deemed to have already fully replaced the injured player, meaning the team’s new upper limit is $71.5M instead of $70.0M.

Had the team recalled a player with a $500K cap hit prior to making the LTIR designation, its Averaged Club Salary would have increased to $72.0M from $71.5M, and likewise its new upper limit would have increased to $72.0M from $71.5M. This highlights the importance of a team having its Averaged Club Salary exceed the upper limit by an amount as close as possible to the injured player’s Annual Average before making the LTIR placement in order to maximize cap space.

according to this, Chia could sign Gagne and then trade one of the extra D to put them at almost exactly 4 million over the cap and then LTIR Savard on the final day of camp.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
One of the few things I like about Theo Epstein was asset management. He wold keep up guys that he felt he would lose if they were sent to triple A. For that reason alone I keep Fraser and Robins, even if they have to carry two extra forwards. I also feel they have earned a spot.

Gagne and Leino are now redundant with Smith on board.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Regardless who gets dealt, these two deals were brilliant IMO, and really speaks of the culture of this team, and the guys they acquire..Gone forever are Tom Fergus and Mike Krushelnyski.. ;-)

Remember the team that Chia inherited had guys who were fighting to get off of the team (Raycroft/Boynton).

We've come a long way baby.

member 96824

I believe Florek can also be sent down? According to CapGeek, he still has 50 games left on his exemption through the end of this year?

Courtesy of their Armchair GM:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
Bruins 23 Man Roster

FORWARDS
Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / Patrice Bergeron ($6.500m) / Loui Eriksson ($4.250m)
Brad Marchand ($4.500m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Reilly Smith ($1.400m)
Chris Kelly ($3.000m) / Carl Soderberg ($1.008m) / Matt Fraser ($0.625m)
Daniel Paille ($1.300m) / Gregory Campbell ($1.600m) / Jordan Caron ($0.600m)
Marc Savard ($4.027m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Dennis Seidenberg ($4.000m)
Johnny Boychuk ($3.367m) / Adam McQuaid ($1.567m)
Matt Bartkowski ($1.250m) / Dougie Hamilton ($0.894m)
Kevan Miller ($0.800m) / Torey Krug ($1.400m)

GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($7.000m)
Niklas Svedberg ($0.600m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$4,779,500
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $72,634,143; BONUSES: $600,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): -$3,634,143

Bruins have to move (trade/release) roughly $2.8m in salary to be cap compliant, if they send Hamilton down, leaving them with a 22 man roster, including Savard and Campbell (who I suspect will be placed on IR).

If the B's want to make one move and be compliant, it will have to be Kelly, or Boychuk. I know which one I would prefer. They could also move both McQuaid and Campbell and get there as well. If Kelly is dealt, the B's would start the season $200k below the Cap, then they can LTIR Savard, bring Dougie back up and do whatever else they need to.

This does not take signing Gagne or Leino into consideration, nor does it deal with the issue of guys like Warsofsky, who would have to clear waivers, and most certainly would not IMO.

Florek can be sent down...but I don't know if I would call it a sure thing that he's on the roster anyways. Same with Spooner, Fraser, etc.

To take your point to the next level, I would deal Kelly...and then swap Svedberg and Subban...getting as close to the cap as humanly possible in order to maximize everything you can out of LTIRing Savard....then once Savvy is on LTIR, bring Svedberg back up, demote Subban and bam.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
I'm thinking of going to the bookie right now to place a bet that HF Boston will crash if Chris Kelly is traded. And that people will complain that Loui Eriksson didn't. :laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
how can you be unimpressed iwth a Marchand/boychuck move without even knowing what hte ruturn would be? Smells to me like your looking for something to compalin about. ;)

Ha! I can be unimpressed because those guys are useful and there are better options to move instead of them. Which is why I said I would wait to see what the next move is before I say I'm happy with these signings...

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Ha! I can be unimpressed because those guys are useful and there are better options to move instead of them. Which is why I said I would wait to see what the next move is before I say I'm happy with these signings...

why does it matter what the next move it though? you got both guys at a cap hit much lower then anyone was expecting?

I agree in part if he moves Boychuck for a 5th round pick I wont be happy but it won't make me feel worse about the 1.4 that each of these two signed for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad