Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Jarome Iginla

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Most guys who you'd expect to put up big numbers don't end up meeting that expectation in Boston for the simple reason that Claude normally rolls 4 lines all game long.

About the only time he deviates from this path is in the playoffs where he is definitely not afraid to play his top-2 lines.

But because of this, you won't see guys like Horton or Iginla (or Seguin) put up career numbers in Boston. Or.. to be clearer, it's a lot harder for them too.

Not trying to float a ready-made excuse for Eriksson or Iginla before they get here. The upside to this, obviously, is that an aging Iginla will be fresher game in and game out and all players should be in better shape for the post season.

I realize I'm not posting brand new information here. Everyone knows Claude's style. Just reminding :)

EDIT - I wouldn't be surprised at all if Seguin breaks out in a big way in Dallas but you're also going to see him double shifted on the PP and playing probably 5+ more minutes a game. But Dallas will still probably miss the playoffs or sputter out in the 1st round.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Most guys who you'd expect to put up big numbers don't end up meeting that expectation in Boston for the simple reason that Claude normally rolls 4 lines all game long.

About the only time he deviates from this path is in the playoffs where he is definitely not afraid to play his top-2 lines.

But because of this, you won't see guys like Horton or Iginla (or Seguin) put up career numbers in Boston. Or.. to be clearer, it's a lot harder for them too.

Not trying to float a ready-made excuse for Eriksson or Iginla before they get here. The upside to this, obviously, is that an aging Iginla will be fresher game in and game out and all players should be in better shape for the post season.

I realize I'm not posting brand new information here. Everyone knows Claude's style. Just reminding :)

EDIT - I wouldn't be surprised at all if Seguin breaks out in a big way in Dallas but you're also going to see him double shifted on the PP and playing probably 5+ more minutes a game. But Dallas will still probably miss the playoffs or sputter out in the 1st round.

Completely accurate post, good stuff

Look at Ryder to back up your example, goes to Dallas where they ask him to focus on one thing and one thing only, scoring goals, he does and fans here continue to insist Chia messed up letting him walk (which I totally disagree with)

I have to believe that any UFA who might have Boston on their radar is aware, just like us, that CJ insists on taking care of his own end first, which then leads to puck possession and they go from there.

Truth is, hasn`t this Bruin team under CJ been in the top 5 of scoring a few times? I`ve never seen CJ`s system as offensively handicapping, I actually find it offers each and every line more quality chances by playing solid D, about the only reason a players numbers will remain somewhat modest is due to what you mentioned, more balanced ice time for the 4 lines

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Completely accurate post, good stuff

Look at Ryder to back up your example, goes to Dallas where they ask him to focus on one thing and one thing only, scoring goals, he does and fans here continue to insist Chia messed up letting him walk (which I totally disagree with)

I have to believe that any UFA who might have Boston on their radar is aware, just like us, that CJ insists on taking care of his own end first, which then leads to puck possession and they go from there.

Truth is, hasn`t this Bruin team under CJ been in the top 5 of scoring a few times? I`ve never seen CJ`s system as offensively handicapping, I actually find it offers each and every line more quality chances by playing solid D, about the only reason a players numbers will remain somewhat modest is due to what you mentioned, more balanced ice time for the 4 lines

I think what happens is the roll four lines leads to more scoring from the depth players while teams that mostly roll 3 with the occasional shift by the 4 th line end up with most scoring from their top two lines. The Bruins get goals they just don't get them from 1 or 2 lines. This is also why the team struggles when the 3rd and 4th lines struggle.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Wow. I go camping for the long weekend, leaving my mobile devices at home. I return to this BOMBshell!? I'm still skeptical of all this, does anyone have a .pdf of the contract? I'm in utter disbelief!

Anyway, I still have a minor grudge against Iggy. He's a great person and role model, and obviously a future hall of famer. I wouldn't have re-signed him based on general principle, but if he's a Bruin, I'll support him and hope for the best. I expect a top 5 PP this season; Iggy and Loui should be a big part of it. :yo:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Regardless of points I didnt think Iginla looked good at any point during the playoffs... he truly was a "passenger". I think with a different mentality this season he is still a dominant player.

Marley

Feb 10, 2011
Regardless of points I didnt think Iginla looked good at any point during the playoffs... he truly was a "passenger". I think with a different mentality this season he is still a dominant player.
IMO, Pitt's style of play was not a good fit for Iginla.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Nathan Horton: Florida 09/10 0.88ppg Boston 10/11 0.66ppg
Michael Ryder: Boston 10/11 0.52ppg Dallas 11/12 0.76ppg
Joe Corvo: Carolina 10/11 0.49ppg Boston 11/12 0.33ppg
Benoit Pouliot: Boston 11/12 0.43ppg Tampa 12/13 0.59ppg

Horton 09-10 TOI-20:53 10-11 TOI-16:17
Ryder 11-12TOI-17:22 10-11 TOI-14:29 (funny you picked his worst year in Boston btw, but whatevs)
Corvo 10-11 TOI-24:46 11-12TOI 18:48 (who in their right mind would play this loser 25mins a night???)
Pouliot 12-13 TOI- 13:14 11-12 TOI 12:12(shortened season)

ZapRowsdower13

Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
Mar 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
It's interesting to see this happen after all that happened. Finally he gets an intelligent coach who will play him where he should be. Good luck Jerome.

rudos1

Oct 22, 2009
I really thought we'd get Alfredson but Iggy is even better! Great contract too Chia is the man!!

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Let me tell you guys, I'm almost 100% confident that Iginla will play so much better in Boston; Bylsma's system just didn't work for Iginla as it was a north-south playing type, and that doesn't suit Iginla whatsoever. Not only that but Iggy was on the left-wing most of the time in Pitt and rarely played on the PP even though he shined when he was on it. Meanwhile, from what I understand, the Bruins style is a roughntough, defensive type of style, which will fit Iginla's play very much (Iginla likes a slower pace/cycling type of hockey). Now, he will not always backcheck and is more a perimeter player now, so don't expect him to split the defense like he did in 2004. If you put him on a line with Bergeron, expect good things out of him.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Nathan Horton: Florida 09/10 0.88ppg Boston 10/11 0.66ppg
Michael Ryder: Boston 10/11 0.52ppg Dallas 11/12 0.76ppg
Joe Corvo: Carolina 10/11 0.49ppg Boston 11/12 0.33ppg
Benoit Pouliot: Boston 11/12 0.43ppg Tampa 12/13 0.59ppg

Only one thing worse than a lazy argument is a cherry picked argument.

I am done with you. You hate Iginla...whaaa whaaa whaaa. Deal with it or quit....isnt that what you said you wanted to do? Quit? Then do it. PLEASE.

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010
Let me tell you guys, I'm almost 100% confident that Iginla will play so much better in Boston; Bylsma's system just didn't work for Iginla as it was a north-south playing type, and that doesn't suit Iginla whatsoever. Not only that but Iggy was on the left-wing most of the time in Pitt and rarely played on the PP even though he shined when he was on it. Meanwhile, from what I understand, the Bruins style is a roughntough, defensive type of style, which will fit Iginla's play very much (Iginla likes a slower pace/cycling type of hockey). Now, he will not always backcheck and is more a perimeter player now, so don't expect him to split the defense like he did in 2004. If you put him on a line with Bergeron, expect good things out of him.

Those days are over my friend. You don't have to be fast, or even particularly good defensively, but you have to back check, especially on Bergy's line (if that's where we play em, I'm not so sure). We play that line in all situations and we play em a lot. Claude demands it. Claude even got Jagr to back check hard...not fast, but hard :laugh: If not, Iggy will be playing in the bottom 6 instead of the top 6 where we need him, and he'll still be asked to back check.

I am curious to see what kind of player he'll be offensively. Is he going to be someone who can take the puck off the wall and look to create his own shot/drive the net/make a play, or is he more of the Brett Hull type at this stage in his career, where he's just looking for open ice and 1 timers?

Maybe he's still got it all just at a slower pace, which I'm really hoping for. I haven't liked the line dynamic between Looch/Krejci/Horton for a while now. Not that it didn't work, I just didn't like it for the simple fact that it takes Looch away from the net where he should be and puts him on the wall a lot because Horton wasn't that good on the wall for a big guy, and he was absolutely atrocious with the puck on his stick in positions where he had to make decisions other than shoot. I'm hoping Iginla can get Looch off the wall and in front of the net a bit more, and bring an element of calm with the puck on his stick. It would really take a ton of pressure of that line if they had a 3rd guy who can pull his own weight in all positions and spread out the work load evenly.

Even if we're just asking Iggy to get pucks on net primarily, it would be nice to have a guy who could find an open pass here and there, or even just send the puck back down the wall and into the cycle when the shot isn't there. I've seen too much hot potato antics on that line for the last few years. Between Horton and Seguin, my nose was starting to get a flat spot from face palming so hard and so frequently. I can't watch it anymore. That's a funny looking possession line :laugh:

Last edited:

thiscalltoarms

Jun 26, 2013
Boston- Seattle- NJ
How is he at doing the Horton thing- redirections and hard play in those dirty creases? That's what we need him to bring, along with the ability to 1 time from the point opposite Chara on the PP.

How scary would Chara/Iggy be together one timing during the PP? Could be awesome.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
The pp would really be solid next season. Iggy and Eriksson added to the forward pool (segiun and Horton gone) and krug/dougie/Bart adding speed to the back end. It should be fun.

Thing I like about Iggy is his style of play. He is a Bruin type player and in my opinion fits here better than jagr or alfie

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
Sorry for my newbie question, but how is this deal as "cap friendly" as Chia is making it out to be. A 6mil hit for a 36 year old seems a little much, considering Krejci, Marchand, and Bergeron will all make less next season. Is it the fact that it's only one year, and that the 6mil will be off the books when Bergeron starts getting his dolla dolla bills, or is it that Iginla could've scored 7mil elsewhere?

:help:

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Sorry for my newbie question, but how is this deal as "cap friendly" as Chia is making it out to be. A 6mil hit for a 36 year old seems a little much, considering Krejci, Marchand, and Bergeron will all make less next season. Is it the fact that it's only one year, and that the 6mil will be off the books when Bergeron starts getting his dolla dolla bills, or is it that Iginla could've scored 7mil elsewhere?

Basically it has to do with the bonus structure. The "bonus cushion" allows teams to exceed the cap up to 7.5% (I think that's the #) of the cap max due to bonuses on ELC's and 1 year 35+ contracts. Any amount a team goes over the max due to those bonuses can be carried over to the following year.

Essentially Iggy's deal allows the B's to shift a portion of the cap hit to next year when presumably the cap will go up.

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site

I believe it's because of the bonus structure of Iginla's contract. All the bonuses in Iginla's contract allow the Bruins to use the bonus cushion in the CBA. If Iginla's bonus money pushes the Bruins over the cap this season it is simply applied to next season.

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
I believe it's because of the bonus structure of Iginla's contract. All the bonuses in Iginla's contract allow the Bruins to use the bonus cushion in the CBA. If Iginla's bonus money pushes the Bruins over the cap this season it is simply applied to next season.
And another dumb question. Any money over the cap, at least the first 4.2 of it or whatever, is applied to Iginla? I mean, they have his entire bonus money to apply to next year, regardless of who signs when, or even if he makes those bonuses?

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
And another dumb question. Any money over the cap, at least the first 4.2 of it or whatever, is applied to Iginla? I mean, they have his entire bonus money to apply to next year, regardless of who signs when, or even if he makes those bonuses?

If Iginla plays 9 games or less it is 1.8 against the cap this year no bonus no penalty next year, if he gets to 6 million (max of his deal), we pay as much as we can this year say 4.5 million, next year 1.5 million against the cap no matter where or what he signs for.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Those days are over my friend. You don't have to be fast, or even particularly good defensively, but you have to back check, especially on Bergy's line (if that's where we play em, I'm not so sure). We play that line in all situations and we play em a lot. Claude demands it. Claude even got Jagr to back check hard...not fast, but hard :laugh: If not, Iggy will be playing in the bottom 6 instead of the top 6 where we need him, and he'll still be asked to back check.

I'm sure he'll back check more than Jagr did. That's all I ask :laugh:

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
How is he at doing the Horton thing- redirections and hard play in those dirty creases? That's what we need him to bring, along with the ability to 1 time from the point opposite Chara on the PP.

How scary would Chara/Iggy be together one timing during the PP? Could be awesome.

The only thing scary about Chara on the PP is....Chara on the PP. :laugh:

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Claude demands it. Claude even got Jagr to back check hard...not fast, but hard :laugh: If not, Iggy will be playing in the bottom 6 instead of the top 6 where we need him, and he'll still be asked to back check.

I do expect Iggy to "fall into" the system, however there were many reports saying he was a coach killer and didn't "fall in" to the coaches system. Here's hoping this changes in Boston.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Wow. I go camping for the long weekend, leaving my mobile devices at home. I return to this BOMBshell!? I'm still skeptical of all this, does anyone have a .pdf of the contract? I'm in utter disbelief!

Anyway, I still have a minor grudge against Iggy. He's a great person and role model, and obviously a future hall of famer. I wouldn't have re-signed him based on general principle, but if he's a Bruin, I'll support him and hope for the best. I expect a top 5 PP this season; Iggy and Loui should be a big part of it. :yo:

Oh My Garsh: Talk about culture shock. I'd go loopy being out of touch for an afternoon never mind a long weekeng....:amazed:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Only one thing worse than a lazy argument is a cherry picked argument.

I am done with you. You hate Iginla...whaaa whaaa whaaa. Deal with it or quit....isnt that what you said you wanted to do? Quit? Then do it. PLEASE.

:snide: 'NUFF SAID......:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad