Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Fitzgerald and Johansson

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
So happy.

Per Kirk: we still have 5 contracts available as these don't count until next year.

Will be interesting to see who out of Bjork, JFK and McAvoy decide to leave school early.

I still don't think the B's will sign any college kids until July 1 if at all.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Excellent move

Saw Fitzgerald only 1 time live this year but a bunch on TV and I like his game.

Bill Ladd will be happy on EJ. Works for me Bill's a coach and scouts and knows his stuff

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
So happy.

That leaves the Bruins at 47 contracts.

Will be interesting to see who out of Bjork, JFK and McAvoy decide to leave school early.

My guess is we won't sign any college kids until July 1 if at all.

Yes I think that makes sense

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Says a lot about the kid. Devils would have been the easier path to the NHL imo.

Glad he's staying.

I always thought he, Grizz and Donato would stay with the club. Donato is only a Sophomore so he's at least a year or two away from signing but I think he'll sign.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Pleasantly surprised. Don't forget, Fitzy scored 24 goals last year while playing a scrappy two-way game. He's not the fastest dude out there, but he knows where to go and he is smart with the puck. He has a great stick as well as one the better saucer passes in the Bruins prospect pool. Put Fitzy, Bjork and Gabrielle together in Providence when the time is right and let's have some fun.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
A credit to the organization that a kid like Ryan, who would have had other opportunities had he waited a few more months, decided to stick around.

As I've stated before, this is not your father's Bruins where they tell tough signs to go practice their yodeling. They work hard to maintain positive relationships with their prospects. Doesn't always work out, but it's a breath of fresh air.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
So happy.

Per Kirk: we still have 5 contracts available as these don't count until next year.

I still don't think the B's will sign any college kids until July 1 if at all.

Even if they are talented enough to go straight to the Bruins. It wouldn't be smart to throw them in there now with the team struggling.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Great news thought for sure Ryan would wait to sign with the Devils. They should put him in tomorrow.

Some wonky clarification - both of these contracts start in 2017-8.

Fitzgerald's going to Providence on an ATO, and Johansson on a PTO. I could be wrong, but from what I gather, that means Fitzgerald can only come up to the NHL for 1 day. Because of the 1 day restriction, an ATO in the NHL is primarily used for backup goalies when a team doesn't have enough goalies due to injury, and they can't call a backup from the AHL due to timing/distance. You basically find some random local to drink tea at the end of the bench.

I'm not sure how a PTO would work, but I think you'd need a different kind of contract (ie standard player contract that covers the 2016-7 season) to play in the NHL.

From what I gather, and I could be wrong, this means we're not seeing any of these players this season. Really curious to see if the Bruins sign any young blood for either the playoff push or the playoffs.

Last edited:

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Some wonky clarification - both of these contracts start in 2017-8.

Fitzgerald's going to Providence on an ATO, and Johansson on a PTO. I could be wrong, but from what I gather, that means Fitzgerald can only come up to the NHL for 1 day. Because of the 1 day restriction, an ATO in the NHL is primarily used for backup goalies when a team doesn't have enough goalies due to injury, and they can't call a backup from the AHL due to timing/distance. You basically find some random local to drink tea at the end of the bench.

I'm not sure how a PTO would work, but I think you'd need a different kind of contract (ie standard player contract that covers the 2016-7 season) to play in the NHL.

From what I gather, and I could be wrong, this means we're not seeing any of these players this season. Really curious to see if the Bruins sign any young blood for either the playoff push or the playoffs.

Thanks for the clarification on this. I never knew I'd need to be a lawyer to be a hockey fan...

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Very excited to see Johansson play the North American game. Terrific mobility, passing and escapability with this player. Great work ethic too. Logged tons of minutes in a very good, very defensive pro league as a teenager... He's my dark horse prospect.

There was lots of talk that Fitzgerald was going to pull a Vesey and go to NJ. Glad he signed so quickly. Will be interesting to see how he fares. I tend to agree with Nugs, that he's always struck me as a Seth Griffith style tweener. Hope he proves me wrong.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Yup. Surprised they got Fitzy. And when I've seen him, he's always been competitive. Maybe won't be the most highend guy but wish him the best.

Playmaker, you've been such and advocate for Emil. Let's see.

Feel like something has got to give though. So many guys in one age bracket and so few spots.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Does this mean his contract just needs to be re-written?

What this means is that Johansson has an option in his contract to go back to Europe instead of going to Providence next season.

My understanding and belief is he can not receive a part signing bonus while playing in Europe.

So yes, it needs to be renegotiated with no European option or no signing bonus included.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad