Bruins sign FA Justin Hickman from Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
What is it with the aversion to intellectual analysis on this board? Are you saying statistics don't matter?

Intellectual analysis, like saying a no-risk signing is "horrible" even though ALL you know of the guy is what you read on hockeydb.

That's "intellectual analysis" alright. In fact... It's ****ing brilliance. I don't know why I was so averse to such profound genius.

On the other hand, I HAVE seen him play. Twice. And he is character to the MAX. I don't know if he's an NHLer (I'd still bet not, personally). But he's the kind of player who will push himself to the limits to get there.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
Intellectual analysis, like saying a no-risk signing is "horrible" even though ALL you know of the guy is what you read on hockeydb.

That's "intellectual analysis" alright. In fact... It's ****ing brilliance. I don't know why I was so averse to such profound genius.

On the other hand, I HAVE seen him play. Twice. And he is character to the MAX. I don't know if he's an NHLer (I'd still bet not, personally). But he's the kind of player who will push himself to the limits to get there.

If he's not an NHL player, what are you going on about? That's exactly what I'm saying. I'm using his performance- in a performance-based sport- to make a judgment. And I would say that his performance over the course of years means a heck of a lot more than what you saw at two games. In all seriousness.

Mr. Make-Believe

If he's not an NHL player, what are you going on about? That's exactly what I'm saying. I'm using his performance- in a performance-based sport- to make a judgment. And I would say that his performance over the course of years means a heck of a lot more than what you saw at two games. In all seriousness.

I don't know if he is or not! Takes a LOT to get there.

But I fail to see how signing a guy who gives it 100% every game, earns a captaincy and is among his team lead in scoring for an extended period of time in one of the best development leagues on planet Earth is a "horrible" signing.

Your reading of stats (which I can do too by the way) is better watching the guy play? Is that what you're seriously arguing? For serious? Puts YOU in a better position to argue a player's worth?

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast

But I fail to see how signing a guy who gives it 100% every game, earns a captaincy and is among his team lead in scoring for an extended period of time in one of the best development leagues on planet Earth is a "horrible" signing.

Your reading of stats (which I can do too by the way) is better watching the guy play? Is that what you're seriously arguing? For serious? Puts YOU in a better position to argue a player's worth?

Statistics over the course of years means more than two games. Are you debating that? Serious question. By that logic, Blaine Lacher would still be here.

MOOKER411

Nov 13, 2009
KERROBERT, SASK

My gut is telling me that he is replacing a body in Providence that will be leaving soon via trade.

Mr. Make-Believe

Statistics over the course of years means more than two games. Are you debating that? Serious question. By that logic, Blaine Lacher would still be here.

No. What I am saying is:

You're a god damn genius. Your hockey mind is FAR superior to my feeble Craisin and I bow to your superiority while kissing your feet and tonguing the grooves of your golden tread.

:dunno: I thought that was clear. :dunno:

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
No. What I am saying is:

You're a god damn genius. Your hockey mind is FAR superior to my feeble Craisin and I bow to your superiority while kissing your feet and tonguing the grooves of your golden tread.

:dunno: I thought that was clear. :dunno:

What a shame. Our disagreement about this player turns into this kind of post. For me, statistics are King. You're going to find that some fans like advanced statistics. Some people have been following puck possession stats for years. I care about performance more than anything else, and because of that, statistics will always mean more to me than anything else.

I realize that some people don't feel that way. Some people like to be scouts by watching games. That's okay. We can disagree without whatever you are going on about in that post.

Mr. Make-Believe

What a shame. Our disagreement about this player turns into this kind of post. For me, statistics are King. You're going to find that some fans like advanced statistics. Some people have been following puck possession stats for years. I care about performance more than anything else, and because of that, statistics will always mean more to me than anything else.

I realize that some people don't feel that way. Some people like to be scouts by watching games. That's okay. We can disagree without whatever you are going on about in that post.

I was just stating that I am no longer averse to your "intellectual analysis." Although I may still not be smart enough to understand them in their entirety.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
What The Puck.... You're still not entirely in the right to say "horrible signing" just by looking at the players stats. I don't care how you argue or word it. So just accept the criticism.

CJDolan

Sep 17, 2012

We know this already.

You already called out Loui for "being invisible" then said you saw on stat tracker he had 0 shots (you were later corrected by someone that could read a box score correctly that pointed out that he had multiple shots that game).

I will give you credit for being honest though, since he (along with the rest of the team) were invisible for that game, seeing as you didn't watch it.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast

Stats do NOT mean everything. This is common knowledge, and has been discussed millions of times probably on this board, and everywhere else. Sure, they are great if you want a general idea of what a player is/was capable of, but they don't always paint the big picture.

But you more than likely won't agree with this either, so I'm probably just wasting my breath.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver

Bravo troll, bravo. You are entertaining at least - thank you.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
good canadian boy that plays rock em sock em hockey

thumbs up

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
What is it with the aversion to intellectual analysis on this board? Are you saying statistics don't matter?

I look at stats a lot but I believe we are at opposite poles.

Hickman was never drafted in the NHL, has the stats that one could find interesting. Sometimes it could just be our luck that we get lucky. We haven't been that in our drafts lately.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Yup, because of guys like this that play with grit, heart and determination. That are captains of their junior teams and not the most talented guy but have earned the C by playing hard and getting dirty.

Stats are fine if used in conjunction with real scouting and watching a player. Advanced stats will tell you the Oilers should be a contender and Yakupov should be on the top line. Advanced statistical analysis does not tell you a players character or if he will crash the net, bang in the corners or stand up for his teammates. If you decide everything by reading a website and never seeing a player you wind up with a team that cannot compete when they start to get hit.

Statistical analysis completely discount gritty players and would tell you that Loui Eriksson is more valuable than Wayne Simmonds. That is all I need to know about advanced statistics.

Even if Hickman never plays a game in the NHL, I think he will, at least this is Chiarelli and his staff realizing you can't have a team of 5 foot 5 forwards and compete. Maybe they have learned something from this season.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
It's too bad he isn't 6'6"+. We could use a truly big grinder/enforcer who can play. 6'3 isn't all that big anymore and going forward a few years.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
It's too bad he isn't 6'6"+. We could use a truly big grinder/enforcer who can play. 6'3 isn't all that big anymore and going forward a few years.

i think you are looking for the celtics thread there pal.. im not going to waste my time and go look up height stats but im pretty sure that 6'3 is plenty big enough , especially if he's built like a tree trunk ( which i dont know, i seriously know nothing about the guy/kid) 6'6" is getting into john scott territory and nobody wants that .. well , unles you are san jose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad