Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Chad and Nick Johnson, Bobby Robins and Mike Moore

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
I don't agree with Muir's comments in that the Bruins question Svedberg's ability. If one of Rask / Svedberg goes down with an injury, who's 3rd on the depth chart? Likely no one you'd want to see between the pipes.

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
He would have to clear waivers though, right?...since it is a 1-way deal...

could still be. You can send Johnson down and it wont be on the cap since hes cheap. At the same time he did good with the Yotes when he had the chance so he likely wins the job

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Isn't he a career AHL player except for that one stint he got in Phoenix? I get Svedberg is pretty unproven, but I have to think he had better upside than Johnson.

Ogrim

Oct 11, 2012
Stockholm
images

Bizarro Bandwagoner

Jan 30, 2010
Maine
Played in Portland last year, pretty solid but nothing special. I'd easily take Svedberg over him but maybe they want to give Svedberg more playing time in Providence and let Johnson ride the bench.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
He's listed as 6'3", 195lbs and he just turned 27 years old.

Here is The Hockey News' scouting report:

Assets:
Has excellent size for the goaltending position at the National Hockey League level. Is capable of dominating at lower levels. Is also capable of coming into games cold, which adds value.

Flaws:
Could stand to fill out his 6-3 frame even more in order to maximize his puck-stopping upside for the National Hockey League level. Also needs more consistency in his game.

Career Potential:
Backup goaltender with a little upside.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
He had a .903 SV% in the AHL. I know nothing about him beyond that. Statistically, Svedberg was considerably better. Screams 3rd string and/or training camp competition.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Good move. Svedberg needs more development time. You saw the return Cory Schneider just got, and reports were it could have been even more than that. Svedberg's regular season AHL numbers were Rask-like, but his postseason was terrible. Another year, another playoff run and he will get better.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
He had a .903 SV% in the AHL. I know nothing about him beyond that. Statistically, Svedberg was considerably better. Screams 3rd string and/or training camp competition.

Sved couldn't stop a beach ball in the playoffs. Which worries me. Let him develop more.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
this Johnson guy 100+ NHL games - can he vie for a 3rd line RW? There will be a tough contest for that position in the camp and a few alternatives too. IMHO we are slightly weaker overall than last year depth wise, but out top-6 may be better also slightly.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
this Johnson guy 100+ NHL games - can he vie for a 3rd line RW? There will be a tough contest for that position in the camp and a few alternatives too. IMHO we are slightly weaker overall than last year depth wise, but out top-6 may be better also slightly.

Strictly AHL signings, except for Robbins who will be a cheap 13th/14th forward like Mac Dermid was.

Ogrim

Oct 11, 2012
Stockholm
Sved couldn't stop a beach ball in the playoffs. Which worries me. Let him develop more.

Only watched three Providence postseason games but I agree he didn't meet expectations.
But we should keep in mind he was brought to the attention of bruins scouts because of a stellar performance in the SEL/SHL playoffs.

With that said...
I hope he stays in Providence.

weephil56

Feb 28, 2013
Belfast
Congrats to Bobby Robins I know its 2 way and he likely wont get called up but the guy is as tough as they come and has worked his ass off to get where he is. Played for my local team here in Belfast 4 years ago great guy always had time for the fans after games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad